Any resellers to source cheap 2nd hand/reclaimed enterprise equipment like large rackmount server cabinets?

creative1000

In the States it's possible to purchase large 2nd-hand computer server cabinets from companies upgrading, bankrupt, consolidating their data centers or server rooms. Sometimes good deals on other rackmount equipment for 10GB fiber networking, or NAS too.

Does Thailand have any resellers like this?

Did you check Lazada, there are usually servers and networking gear like fortinet firewalls and Cisco switches, available from a couple of sellers - obviously they do office clearances or similar because they usually have loads of Dell workstations too. You could try contacting them, they might be able to help.

Their servers seem a little bit overpriced to me, they arent new models, probably quite expensive to run, and they arent give away prices as you would find in Europe or the states. I would be wary of running enterprise gear here, unless you can keep it in an aircon room.

Network cabs - From experience, maybe you can find a 24U cab, but moving them is expensive and the carriers dont give a f' - I bought a new 16U that was a nightmare to get delivered, the packages were heavy and every parcel had been dropped, frames were warped, glass was smashed.

I have a small 9U(?) short server cab and some other bits that I will never use, if its any good to you. 

ETS: Im just looking at the prices now, a R610 for 10K is ridiculous they are really outdated now and expensive to run, R620 has a decent reputation, not too sure about the spec, but it's 20,000+ - but anyway, you didn't want a server, just looking.

Edited by recom273
  • Like 2

States have unlimited free money supply so american businesses could throw away 13gen Dells with no remorse, I constantly read reports online like "my company decommissioned a few servers worth $2000 and I bought it from the IT department for $200".

Unfortunately Thailand is not States so 11gen Dells are still in production here.

As for the cabinet - I've bought mine from this seller: https://www.lazada.co.th/shop/mdf-marketing/

pretty good quality for its price, was delivered promptly, glass was not smashed.

btw I have a few 1U servers for sale - two with fixed hard drives and one with hot swap 2.5" hard drives. They are old though, Haswell-Broadwell generations, similar to Dell 12gen.

PM if interested.

btw2: check facebook marketplace, there are plenty of cabinets for sale. For example:

https://en-gb.facebook.com/marketplace/item/595489285303367/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post

Edited by fdsa
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, fdsa said:

States have unlimited free money supply so american businesses could throw away ...

I think in at least some cases this is cause by two distortions due to contracting rules:

- this has been improved, but traditional gov. contracts wanted dedicated equipment (per contract) because it was easier to audit use of funds than shared equipment (between contracts, which could be abused by double-billing),

- "cost-plus" contracts that specify some profit rate can help prevent price-gouging, but they also mean that the more you spend, the more you make.  

The irony is that in both cases the cost-cutters who want to starve the beast (by not hiring useless bureaucrats like accountants and auditors!) are the ones who make the problem worse. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1