Using a Thai Credit Card overseas, is there a need to inform bank first?

53 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

Similar to another thread on ATM debit cards, I plan to use a Thai credit card from KBank overseas? Do I need to inform bank first to ensure they don't block it, I have only ever used in Thailand before now?

I have never been a fan of credit cards as I have always believed that using ones own money is the way to go, e.g. debit cards, regardless of reward points and the annual costs/charges for the privilege of having a credit card, if any, that said, I believe them to be a trap and they have trapped millions of people into using them and not being able to pay back anymore than the required monthly amount, anyways, that's another story.

I always advise the bank that I am heading overseas, this ensures that they won't block my card if someone feels something is unusual as paranoid as the banks are theses days, and I let them know when I am heading back.

The above said, I applied to open another account in my home country online a few weeks back and was approved a few days later, and I transferred money into the new account, as soon as I deposited the money, they then they blocked me, 20 minutes later on the phone an Indian/Pakistani answers, or whatever, not wanting to be labelled a racist, but I couldn't understand him and gave him all the security checks and answers to his questions that he wanted and he then said he would put me through the right department, another 40 minutes later, at my cost of course, I said to this guy who I could understand perfectly as his English was good and clear. I said what is going on, I transferred funds from one of my accounts to my new account with your bank and you blocked my account, I see sir, did anyone ring you or ask you for your personal details, no, hmmm, ok sir, please log in again, however press the forgot my password button and set up a new password and you will have access to your account again.

But why was my account blocked, yes sir, have a good day, so no answer, phone hung up, so best to let them know your heading overseas and for how long unless you want added stress in your life.

I haven't even left the country yet, due in a couple of months and prepared the online account to get another debit card when I get there.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

While ‘no’ is the correct answer nowadays, it is possible that if your card does get blocked (which will very probably be because of dodgy transactions suggesting someone has your card details, not because you are using the card overseas) if it is a permanent block you will need to have the card app on your phone to get access to your new card and will only be able to use it by scanning to pay or for online payments. 

Only relevant if reliant on your card for more than convenience. And in that case you might want to check how long a temporary block is (mine is two days) and if/how you can undo such a block.