Am I the only one that seems to have difficulty finding a place to get my vision corrected?

Leveraged

In the states you can go almost anywhere and get a proper vision check (Walmart, Sam's Club) for cheap, quickly. Everywhere I go here in thailand, they seem to only have "Auto Refractors" which dont seem to be very accurate and want to prescribe off of just that automatic machine. I have astigmatism, and can see well enough without glasses. The problem is I get headaches when reading for long periods and driving at night is annoying because the oncoming headlights sort-of "streak" in my vision. 

Here they dont seem to be very many of these machines:

1622519150_EyeCheck.jpg.be854c61544eaaa7b974655dcaa163d0.jpg

• Like 1

Forget about relying on an automatic machine. There are so many variables to be accounted for that my last check at my Swiss optician took about 2 hours. They even measure irregularities on the surface of your eye and it is all an interactive process since your perception may slightly alter during the procedure according to my experience. It is even better to do the test twice on two different days and time periods (morning/afternoon). Especially if you might have some sickness that correlates to your vision capabilities (like me, I am a diabetic 2)

And then do not forget the manufacturing. Example: The glasses need to be matched with your individual centers of your eyes. One eye of mine is a bit higher than the other. Fortunately I did not yet need to get a new pair of glasses, so I cannot recommend a decent shop, but I have heard there are dedicated eye centers / hospitals (Rutnin ?). I would not rely on a simple shop that just sells glasses. I am absolutely sure some hospitals do have the necessary equipment and can perform an accurate test.

4 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

depends on where you're located and how much cash you have to splash. I like TRSC on Rama See in Bangkok but that might not suit you as they're not "cheap". 

Are you responding to me ? If so I dont have the slightest clue what your are talking about. Suit me ? I thought you are the one that needs a test. And I would recommend to get the best there is available. All these services are comparably cheap in Thailand. New glasses are an important investment and hopefully for some years. It pays off to spend a little bit more (for me that is).

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

depends on where you're located and how much cash you have to splash. I like TRSC on Rama See in Bangkok but that might not suit you as they're not "cheap". 

I went to TRSC in the hope of having my vision corrected with surgery (I wear multi focals).

2 hours of testing later they recommended me to fit one contact lens to my right eye for mono vision.

Testing was free and said come back in 12 months for another test, this was February this year.

3 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Are you responding to me ? If so I dont have the slightest clue what your are talking about. Suit me ? I thought you are the one that needs a test. And I would recommend to get the best there is available. All these services are comparably cheap in Thailand. New glasses are an important investment and hopefully for some years. It pays off to spend a little bit more (for me that is).

I think he is replying to the OP, Leveraged.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, moogradod said:

responding to the OP. I'm sorry that you don't know where Bangkok is LOL.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

I went to TRSC in the hope of having my vision corrected with surgery (I wear multi focals).

2 hours of testing later they recommended me to fit one contact lens to my right eye for mono vision.

Testing was free and said come back in 12 months for another test, this was February this year.

in 1999 I went to the supposed best guy in Sydney to get assessed for LASIK, Dr R****d B******r. the outcome was "I can do it but I can't guarantee success. up to you". I declined, thank Buddha.

I went to TRSC in 2005 for the initial consultation at a measly 2K baht. after the various tests I got to see the chief, the guy that founded the place. he said you have keratoconus and therefore you're not suitable for either LASIK or PRK.

he suggested contacts, rigid gas permeable not soft contacts like I'd been prescribed in Sydney. 

on subsequent trips I never quite got around to getting a check up with them. I wish I had because in Feb this year they picked up a partially detached retina and after having another senior opthalmologist review their finding they booked an appointment for at Rutnin Eye Hospital. 

neither of those two issues were picked up in Sydney despite it supposedly being the be-all and end-all according to them ????

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

in 1999 I went to the supposed best guy in Sydney to get assessed for LASIK, Dr R****d B******r. the outcome was "I can do it but I can't guarantee success. up to you". I declined, thank Buddha.

I went to TRSC in 2005 for the initial consultation at a measly 2K baht. after the various tests I got to see the chief, the guy that founded the place. he said you have keratoconus and therefore you're not suitable for either LASIK or PRK.

he suggested contacts, rigid gas permeable not soft contacts like I'd been prescribed in Sydney. 

on subsequent trips I never quite got around to getting a check up with them. I wish I had because in Feb this year they picked up a partially detached retina and after having another senior opthalmologist review their finding they booked an appointment for at Rutnin Eye Hospital. 

neither of those two issues were picked up in Sydney despite it supposedly being the be-all and end-all according to them ????

Where is Sydney ?

23 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

responding to the OP. I'm sorry that you don't know where Bangkok is LOL.

I know where Bangkok is. Been there the first time in 1975. I just had mistakenly assumed that you were the OP. So no need to feel sorry. I am happy that my mistake did obviously contribute to your well being.

In the States you have optometrists doing eye testing for glasses - in Thailand that is a very new field and there are very few, so testing, if more than chain/machine, is done in a hospital setting by ophthalmologists.  Go to them to get prescription/distance between eyes and then most order from Zenni or other mail order provider (as eyeglass shops often are way more expensive than need be - although some independents seem to be a bit more reasonable from reports here). 

• Like 1

I am no stranger to the problem that @Leveraged faces. I am very long sighted, in the +7.5 range, astigmatic and I also require multi focal as I hate switching glasses. It's been a challenge for most opticians. 

KT Optic in Robinsons, Sakon Nakhon Took up the challenge and produced the best set of peepers I've ever had in my life and they're still good after 3 years constant wearing.

KT Optic have branches nationwide.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

Precisely my point regarding  eye tests in UK.

6 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

In the States you have optometrists doing eye testing for glasses - in Thailand that is a very new field and there are very few, so testing, if more than chain/machine, is done in a hospital setting by ophthalmologists.  Go to them to get prescription/distance between eyes and then most order from Zenni or other mail order provider (as eyeglass shops often are way more expensive than need be - although some independents seem to be a bit more reasonable from reports here). 

As above. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2022 at 5:27 PM, lopburi3 said:

Go to them to get prescription/distance between eyes and then most order from Zenni or other mail order provider (as eyeglass shops often are way more expensive than need be - although some independents seem to be a bit more reasonable from reports here). 

From Zenni Optical today:

do you ship to thailand

At this time, we are not shipping to Thailand, however, please check back later as carriers may pause certain destinations temporarily based on the reliability of delivery..

But --

eyeglasses.com now ships via DHL Express:

Thailand    $88.00 (1-4 Days)

Edited by jerrymahoney

On 8/27/2022 at 5:27 PM, lopburi3 said:

Go to them to get prescription/distance between eyes and then most order from Zenni or other mail order provider (as eyeglass shops often are way more expensive than need be - although some independents seem to be a bit more reasonable from reports here). 

Do you have a link to Zenni? 

I, too, have a healthy dislike of those machines. I've never gotten a good pair of glasses when that has been the 'only' testing/measuring device used.

But... there is an old-style optometrist in Chiang Mai. She was the head optometrist for Sriphat Medical Center before she retired two years ago, and now runs her own diagnostic and prescription center on Saturday mornings. She used the old-style 'try lenses,' swapping one for another, adjusting the axis for each eye at the same time, back and forth until each eye is as perfect as it can be. Her prices for frames and lenses are just about the lowest in town, and service is great.  I've had three pair made by her and am completely happy with all three!

The shop is down a small soi off Moon Muang Rd, Ratavithi Soi 1,  50m in on the right side. There is a ramp leading to the shop door.  Get there early... there is usually a line!

9-7-2022 8-48-18 AM.jpg

9-7-2022 8-51-06 AM.jpg