Swedish Man Found Dead After Eating Spicy Som Tam

george

I agree the som tam eating might just be a coincidence. Considering he only ate a little bit of it, if it is the food, it does point to either allergy or poisoning. Others were eating the food and did not get sick, so it was not poison. So if it was the food, it points to allergy.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a case 10 years ago or more that involved "Som Tum" and a few deaths. A family with a farang father, Thai wife and kids who were murdered by the farang father after eating Som Tum with the boo dum ( crab). The judge found that there was evidence backing a virus or bacteria in the crab that caused him to go insane and murder his family. It was told to me by a judge. I have never seen an article about it. I know there is little similarity, but the virus or bacteria could kill others. Also it is highly possible that it was more than Som Tum that did him in.

It is not that serious as you might imagine, the guy was diabetic and the "food poisoning" from the somtam made his blood sugar level skyrocket, that is thr main reason why he is dead.

An authopsy will be preformed this week in Bangkok according to the Swedish embassy.

Source?

The embassy.

Updated to link to Bangkok Post article which should work after publication date.

Sattahip police said even though Ms Sopa believed he died of severe diarrhoea, police have not yet concluded the cause of death and will send his body for an autopsy before taking any further action.

Regards

Article

Maybe a little off-topic, but my wife has had stomach problems for the past year.

Saw her doctor in Korat - he immediately told her "No more Som Tam - no more papaya".

She is Isaan born and bred - but the diagnosis and 'cure' were immediate.

It seems that there is a history of medical problems with everything from the papaya onwards.

Source?

The embassy.

BS, the embassy (my embassy!) does not speculate on the reasons a citisens die when the autopsy is yet to be done.

Name your source or contact-person.

Well since you are an anonymous member in a webbforum i dont see the reason why i should name my contact?

But you are welcome to investigate further if you are in doubt +46 8 4051000

Maybe a little off-topic, but my wife has had stomach problems for the past year.

Saw her doctor in Korat - he immediately told her "No more Som Tam - no more papaya".

She is Isaan born and bred - but the diagnosis and 'cure' were immediate.

It seems that there is a history of medical problems with everything from the papaya onwards.

Pesticides?

I had a bad food poisoning from eating Som Tam Isaan style.

Yes went to the hospital to get my stummic pumped.

I live in Thailand and do eat spicy food, this time I do not know what happened but felt I was going to die.

Stayed in Hospital the nite and next morning I was Ok but still a bit shaky.

lingling>> ad hoc-argument if any.

Source?

The embassy.

BS, the embassy (my embassy!) does not speculate on the reasons a citisens die when the autopsy is yet to be done.

Well since you are an anonymous member in a webbforum i dont see the reason why i should name my contact?

Mr 3 posts call someone anonymous on a webforum. I think we had a picture that was suitable for this...

And so you know Mr 3 posts, the burden of evidence is upon you, since you posted the claim.

Mr 3 posts then goes on to post a telephon-number that leads to the main switchboard for the whole of 'Regeringskansliet' - in Sweden! Apparently he couldn't use the magic of google and even find the number to our local embassy or thinks that anyone can call to RK and request info regarding this matter.

Edited by TAWP

lingling>> ad hoc-argument if any.
Source?

The embassy.

Mr 3 posts call someone anonymous on a webforum. I think we had a picture that was suitable for this...

And so you know Mr 3 posts, the burden of evidence is upon you, since you posted the claim.

Mr 3 posts then goes on to post a telephon-number that leads to the main switchboard for the whole of 'Regeringskansliet' - in Sweden! Apparently he couldn't use the magic of google and even find the number to our local embassy or thinks that anyone can call to RK and request info regarding this matter.

Looks like i have offended Mr Bigshot, i get the feeling that you work at/for the embassy.

If you do you also know that it is illegal according to swedish law to search for the source of my information, any swedish goverment official can provide information to media under complete anonymity. Do you really want to get booted out of your nice job at the embassy?

Do your own research in the future and dont try to find out my sources as it can damage your future ambitions in the diplomatic service.

Hey, now i have 4 posts...

Nice try, but I don't work at the embassy.

Source up or don't claim it to be a 'fact' until it can be verified.

Bet you wish to work at the embassy :o

Well after the authopsy is done on tuesday you can go back and check if i was right or not, you wont get me to name my source anyhow.

Just to straighten a few things here.

Unless the som tum was loaded to the hilt with sugar or carbohydrates, it will not have sent anyone's blood sugar levels rocketting.

The preceeding hours may be crucial as he had just flown in and was likely to have been dehydrated to some degree. If he had been drinking on the flight and then continued when he landed and had then had diarrhea he would have needed a lot of water to rehydrate himself.

I have seen many times here, including kids and close friends, who have become dehydrated either through excessive excersise without water or excessive drinking of alcohol without water that has left them so dehydrated that they have started to convulse and rushed to hospital.

KT, I think you should understand that your post element about the medical history of the victim is likely to be viewed as heresy unless some confirmation is forthcoming. However the autopsy is due to be performed as specified by the Police here, and presumably after that more information will be publicly available.

Regards

I suffered from food poisoning some years ago after eating soup in a Wimpey Bar at Margate, England. Was laid up for 3 weeks.

Severe food poisoning is very serious. As toxic as many chemicals or some other officially classified poisons and in some cases fatal within 2 hours.

Use caution with food stuffs in Thailand.

I suffered from food poisoning some years ago after eating soup in a Wimpey Bar at Margate, England. Was laid up for 3 weeks.

Severe food poisoning is very serious. As toxic as many chemicals or some other officially classified poisons and in some cases fatal within 2 hours.

Use caution with food stuffs in Thailand.

Thanks for those helpful pearls of wisdom, RB :o

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised noone has asked or written about the results of the post mortem. I have been looking for the results but just as many other news items this one seems to be forgotten about.

Does anyone know the official cause of death?

I'm going to take a stab at this even though its been a very long time since I cracked open a textbook;

The Swedes may have have excellent forensic facilities but it is not like on TV and will take between 30-60 days after the autopsy to know the results.

1.The delay between the death and the autopsy will require additional tests because alot of evidence /clues will have been tainted during the delay. (It's also going to be an unpleasant undertaking if the body was not properly stored.)

2. The basic procedures will be undertaken with body parts examined and all vital organs inspected and weighed. The medical examiner will be looking for some overt signs such as an aneurysm or heart disease etc.

3. Toxicology and electrolyte tests will be effected. If the deceased was diabetic, there will be the several specific tests undertaken, including a renal failure exam. The stomach contents will be analyzed and cultured. Usually, there is some recoverable urine and this should provide important clues. If the subject was diabetic, hopefully the insuline being used was recovered for testing. There may be a chance that the insulin was tainted.

Aside from the reported diabetes, there will most likely be an additional underlying medical condition that when combined with the som tam poo reaction brought about death.

Edited by geriatrickid

The autopsy was going to be done locally, so it doesn't matter how good it is in Sweden.

And the diabetes is unconfirmed as of yet, cannot find any info about it apart from one anon poster.

The autopsy was going to be done locally, so it doesn't matter how good it is in Sweden.

And the diabetes is unconfirmed as of yet, cannot find any info about it apart from one anon poster.

My apologies then. I was under the impression that the body was to be repatriated. Even if done locally, they will still need 30-60 days to do the lab work.

• 2 weeks later...

My opinion is that the Imodium did him in, just as most pharmaceuticals do sooner or later. It prevented him expelling whatever was toxic or allergenic within his bowels, thereby confounding the body's natural defence against such material. Unable to expel the irritants, he soon went into anaphylactic shock and his heart stopped.

Improperly fermented crab or fish may not have killed off all potentially (to him) toxic bacteria. And the addition of the known toxin and allergen MSG would not have helped either.

Allergies have reached plague proportions, especially in the West, due to vaccinations, pharmaceuticals and repetitive cooked-food diets high in grains.

My opinion is that the Imodium did him in, just as most pharmaceuticals do sooner or later. It prevented him expelling whatever was toxic or allergenic within his bowels, thereby confounding the body's natural defence against such material. Unable to expel the irritants, he soon went into anaphylactic shock and his heart stopped.

Improperly fermented crab or fish may not have killed off all potentially (to him) toxic bacteria. And the addition of the known toxin and allergen MSG would not have helped either.

Allergies have reached plague proportions, especially in the West, due to vaccinations, pharmaceuticals and repetitive cooked-food diets high in grains.

:o I'm not saying this is what happened, but it is a fact that severe diarrhea can aggravate high blood pressure in people with already high blood pressure, those people can litterly pass out on the crapper due to the strain. It happened to my sister, her teenage daughter heard her mother fall over, came into the bathroom, and found mom unconsious on the floor. They got her to the hospital in time, but she is on drugs for high blood pressure now and a strictly monitored diet to lose wieght.

:D

Please note that the above comment contains multiple inaccuracies. There is no demonstrable medical evidence in respect to the causative link between vaccinations and pharmaceuticals with allergies having reached "plague" proportions. This is a false statement. Auto imummune responses of the type suggested have absolutely no relationship with vaccinations.

• 1 month later...

This incident was first reported on the 24/6. Post mortem results were expected to take 30 to 60 days.

It's now 22/8 so maybe soon we'll hear something.

I'm only interested in this case because I had a friend who died very suddenly under similar circumstances some 30 years ago here in Thailand. At that time we were told it was "drug related" but we were almost 100% certain he never touched drugs.