Taking a car to Malaysia.

torrow

You need to get a document from the Dept of Transport which is basically an English translation of the blue book. 

Then you have to purchase insurance and the number plate sticker. Both can be done near the border at the same place by the insurance agent.

on the Malaysian side, you need to present all the documents including your driving license of course to the Department of Transportation. They will then issue you with a permit to drive the car in Malaysia.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

You need to get a document from the Dept of Transport which is basically an English translation of the blue book. 

Then you have to purchase insurance and the number plate sticker. Both can be done near the border at the same place by the insurance agent.

on the Malaysian side, you need to present all the documents including your driving license of course to the Department of Transportation. They will then issue you with a permit to drive the car in Malaysia.

So what's the approx' cost to do this if I want to take my car into Malaysia for approx' 2 weeks motoring holiday to Penang, Ipoh, Cameron Highlands?

15 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Also I believe you need to have a brake light fitted to your rear window. Is that still a requirement?

2 hours ago, grain said:

Also I believe you need to have a brake light fitted to your rear window. Is that still a requirement?

Unless your car was built in the 80’s, you won’t have a problem. At that is required is a 3rd brake light at the rear of the car. 

Make sure your windows are not too heavily tinted. You will be denied entry unless you then peel off your window tints. Includes windscreen as well.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2022 at 7:48 AM, Gweiloman said:

Unless your car was built in the 80’s, you won’t have a problem. At that is required is a 3rd brake light at the rear of the car. 

Make sure your windows are not too heavily tinted. You will be denied entry unless you then peel off your window tints. Includes windscreen as well.

My understanding is they have a gadget that checks if the applied window tint is within their specifications so it's not an arbitrary 'too dark' opinion.

11 hours ago, NanLaew said:

My understanding is they have a gadget that checks if the applied window tint is within their specifications so it's not an arbitrary 'too dark' opinion.

Not sure about that. The last time, I crossed at Betong border. The gadget he used was his eyes. He allowed me to enter but not the car behind. There was no contest, you could hardly see into that car.

Previously at the Sadao border, I never saw any such gadgets either.

1. You will need an updated Vehicle Registration Certification , which is a translation of car blue book. The last line is the road tax renewal date. 25B.

2. Get insurance and car sticker before the border. Malaysian Road Transport Dept is inbetween the two immigration check points. Sticker was 300B, one month insurance was 1000B for Toyato Fortuner.

3. Two copies of TM1, one for exit the other for re entry. TM2 if you have others in the car. Photo not required on TM 1.

After Thai immigration stop by Malaysian RTD to get a free permit.

4. You will need a 'touch n go' card or Malaysian national ID card to use the toll roads. Cash is acceptable at the left lane but you need a card to scan at the entry and exit so thier system can calculate your toll.

5. Diesel is cheap, about 16B.  Petrol is not cheap as foreign cars can only use RON97, not RON95. RON97 is about 4.5RM.

Edited by Thailand J

5 minutes ago, Thailand J said:

1. You will need an updated Vehicle Registration Certification , which is a translation of car blue book. The last line is the road tax renewal date. 25B.

2. Get insurance and car sticker before the border. Malaysian Road Transport Dept is inbetween the two immigration check points. Sticker was 300B, one month insurance was 1000B for Toyato Fortuner.

3. Two copies of TM1, one for exit the other for re entry. TM2 if you have others in the car.

4. You will need a 'touch n go' card or Malaysian national ID card to use the toll roads. Cash is acceptable at the left lane but you need a card to scan at the entry and exit so thier system can calculate your toll.

5. Diesel is cheap, about 16B.  Petrol is not cheap as foreign cars can only use RON97, not RON95. RON97 is about 4.5RM.

I've only ever used E20 in my Mitsu Triton, can I get that in Malaysia? If not what should I use?

1 hour ago, Thailand J said:

3. Two copies of TM1, one for exit the other for re entry. TM2 if you have others in the car. Photo not required on TM 1.

Your experiences seem slightly different from mine. Having said that, I haven’t driven to Msia in the last couple of years due to COVID.

2. Car sticker. Are you referring to the number plate sticker or car permit issued by the Malaysian road transport near the immigration? AFAIK, the latter is free and valid for a month.

3. Never had to do either forms before. Was never asked for it. I always just drove straight pass Thai customs.

4. Not all toll booths accept cash. Best is to a touch n go card and top it up at a petrol station. Amount depends where you want to go.

5. This restriction specifically targets Singaporeans crossing into Johore to fill up. I doubt you will be stopped from filling Ron 95 at the northern stations. Filling is self service; credit card at the pump. No filling attendants