Bank Passbooks - what's the deal?

So I am soon going to be jumping into life in BKK and part of that is setting up a bank account.  I read in so many threads (e.g. current thread about expired lost  ATM cards and the need to show bank passbook and ID to get a replacement) that the bank passbook is a vital commodity.  And yet when perusing bank websites for a suitable account, I find many types of accounts that have no passbook at all.  Should I avoid?  Go for the standard savings account that has a passbook?

Most grateful for your advice guys...

It is the norm to have a passbook savings account here in Thailand. The no passbook (esavings) account generally require a passbook savings account before opening the esavings account. Open a regular savings account with the minimum tequired amount and then apply for the esavings account. 

• Like 2

Thailand loves its Bank Book....  

I don’t think its even possible to have an account without a Bank Book.... 

Mine gets to see a bank every couple of years....  its used like a proof of account & ID along with a Passport (or Pink ID).

The accounts are called ‘savings account’ which is strange as the account is actually the same as a current account and comes with a combined ATM / Debit Card, online and Mobile Banking. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, DodgerRodger said:

And yet when perusing bank websites for a suitable account, I find many types of accounts that have no passbook at all.  Should I avoid?  Go for the standard savings account that has a passbook?

I have savings and individual accounts at BKK Bank and SCB.  I've got passbooks for all the account.  No problem.  Debit cards for the individual account.  I only draw from the savings using a passbook (you'll need your passport too).  It's really not a problem.  Go to the bank in person.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies and useful advice.  I am new to the Thai banking system (despite being a regular visitor to Thailand for over 40 years) and having read all of the comments I believe having a bank passbook is going to be indispensable and I have no intention of trying to avoid such.  I've used them in the past so not a problem for me.  

• Like 1

Hi dodger, I have two accounts with passbooks here with the Bangkok bank. A savings account and a foreign currency account. When I need a letter for immigration for extension it is no problems at all. It may seem alittle ancient compared to the west but it works very well

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, indyo said:

My kasikorn debit card has expired, do I have a way to get it replaced without the passbook?

no. you need a passbook.

if you lost it you need a get a police report and return to where you opened the account, with the report and your passport.