Last orders: UK pubs brace for mass closures as energy costs soar

onthedarkside

Screenshot_2.jpg.666c6da2fb4052929cba4787b9c26c47.jpg

File photo

LONDON, Sept 1 (Reuters) - Like thousands of pubs across Britain, the Red Lion and Sun fears financial ruin this winter as its energy costs surge, just as business was starting to recover from the fallow years of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Nestled in a leafy north London suburb, the pub's annual energy bill is on course to more than quadruple this year to 65,000 pounds ($76,000) from 16,000 pounds, said James Cuthbertson, a director of The Frisco Group, which manages the pub along with two others in the capital and southeast England.

"We need to come up with an extra 50,000 pounds in profits each year, at the same time that profits are coming to a standstill as consumers see their own prices rise at home," he said.

(more)

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/last-orders-uk-pubs-brace-mass-closures-energy-costs-soar-2022-09-01/

Reuters.jpg.6d9c452ee0643757a2f47285bd82782e.jpg

22 hours ago, baboon said:

Truss had better be ready to come up with a comprehensive package of measures and bloody quickly, to get the UK through the winter. If not - well I really do dread to think.

She has some big measures,no problem, but she still has not said how she will pay for it all ,windfall tax on the energy companies for certain ,when that has been used up then

what ,borrow even more .

And she is still saying she is going to increase spending on defence ,a good few billion pounds. with the country about to go in to resection and all the other problems .

I know a guy who manages a pub near my flat in the UK ,about 1 mile from the town enter gets busy at weekends ,most evenings quite ,unless some big sporting program is on the TV ,he said their turnover is 250k pounds /year ,this energy rise will hit them hard ,the pub is part of a chain,if the suits  in charge see it is losing money, will they  close it down ?,with pubs in the UK closing at a high rate odds could well be high.

3 hours ago, kickstart said:

She has some big measures,no problem, but she still has not said how she will pay for it all ,windfall tax on the energy companies for certain ,when that has been used up then

what ,borrow even more .

And she is still saying she is going to increase spending on defence ,a good few billion pounds. with the country about to go in to resection and all the other problems .

I know a guy who manages a pub near my flat in the UK ,about 1 mile from the town enter gets busy at weekends ,most evenings quite ,unless some big sporting program is on the TV ,he said their turnover is 250k pounds /year ,this energy rise will hit them hard ,the pub is part of a chain,if the suits  in charge see it is losing money, will they  close it down ?,with pubs in the UK closing at a high rate odds could well be high.

Well let's just see what she comes up with when she faces a terrified public who can vote her out of office or simply riot because of the cost of living. Her 'Law and Order' party have already decimated the police, so things might get nasty...