Applying for a New UK Passport - Payment Form

The payment form required by HMPO to authorise the cost of a New UK Passport asks for details of your debit/credit card.   Within those details they require the 3 digits on the signature strip on the back of the card.

I have a card from Virgin Money, and whilst speaking to them yesterday, I mentioned the above.   They were very concerned that to put the complete details of the card on a piece of paper, which anyone can see, breaches their security rules and told me NOT to comply.  Should I ignore their advice, they would not be responsible for any illegal use of the card in the future.

However, without those details HMPO cannot collect the cost of the Passport from Virgin Money,

Anyone ever had a problem in this matter?

If you want to renew your passport in Thailand  it is a risk that you are going to have to take.

The form doesn't go anywhere, it gets scanned at VfS Global to HMPO.

Is there a risk?

Yes, any time you put your 3 digit code ANYWHERE it is a risk.

Is dealing with this payment with HMPO via VfS a big risk ?   No, hundreds of people do it every day.

In any event it is academic because there are no options, other than card, for making payment.

Send this to Virgin Money and ask them what you are supposed to do:-

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/190989/OS_Payment__Instruction_07.13.pdf

Edited by hotandsticky
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

Very good suggestion! It's Virgin Money who are objecting, let them tell you the solution. Then they need to tell HMPO too.

I have just topped up my William Hill betting account with £30 using my UK bank debit card. I had to supply my card number, expiry date and 3 digit security number.

Do I feel scared?

No.....and I don't see the transaction (albeit online) as anything different to supplying HMPO with the details.

On 9/4/2022 at 2:10 PM, The Fugitive said:

Very good suggestion! It's Virgin Money who are objecting, let them tell you the solution. Then they need to tell HMPO too.

Maybe, just maybe, HMPO will sit up and take notice if Virgin Money tell them that it's high time for the antediluvian risk-laden (for the applicant) With-It Tower Passport Renewal Experience to be replaced by procedures which are far more compatible with the relatively secure hi-tec world of the 3rd decade of the 21st Century (as already apply when renewing from the UK).

But, there again, probably not, unfortunately, if they are entrenched, as they seem to be,  in the view that we Brits living in LOS are all Luddites.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

On 9/4/2022 at 12:12 PM, hotandsticky said:

If you want to renew your passport in Thailand  it is a risk that you are going to have to take.

The form doesn't go anywhere, it gets scanned at VfS Global to HMPO.

Is there a risk?

Yes, any time you put your 3 digit code ANYWHERE it is a risk.

Is dealing with this payment with HMPO via VfS a big risk ?   No, hundreds of people do it every day.

In any event it is academic because there are no options, other than card, for making payment.

Send this to Virgin Money and ask them what you are supposed to do:-

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/190989/OS_Payment__Instruction_07.13.pdf

This is not correct based on my personal experience just last week.

The form is put in a sealed envelope, both I and the person processing the application had to sign accros the seal and it was inserted with the application in front of me into a DHL envelope to go to the UK.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

This is not correct based on my personal experience just last week.

The form is put in a sealed envelope, both I and the person processing the application had to sign across the seal and it was inserted with the application in front of me into a DHL envelope to go to the UK.

That is new - as far as I am aware.

What else was so valuable to also go in the sealed envelope?.

2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Nothing ! Just that form. 

Amazing!

Those details are passed over the internet every day. Consider the comparison with, say, UK Visas where payment is made online to VFS at the time an application is submitted.

Couriering such a basic transaction seems like gross overkill - but may further alleviate the fears of the OP.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2022 at 10:44 PM, hotandsticky said:

Amazing!

Those details are passed over the internet every day. Consider the comparison with, say, UK Visas where payment is made online to VFS at the time an application is submitted.

Couriering such a basic transaction seems like gross overkill - but may further alleviate the fears of the OP.

Equally amazing, I think, is the comparison between one part of the Home Office which allows VFS to operate a payment system in the case of UK visas, and another part which does not allow them to operate a payment system in the case of UK passports!

• Like 2