Toyota D4D 2.5 Turbo Diesel 2012

Formaleins

I was looking for some bits and bobs for my truck, all of which are proving difficult to find, the first is a genuine two piece Toyota Champ / Vigo grille - I tried the big resellers across in town and all they can offer is these Chinese one piece plastic pieces of junk (which I already have fitted) - I tried Toyota and they laughed me out of the place quoting almost 11,000 Baht for the 2 piece grille, they thought I was insane!

So anyone know of any breakers where I might get a second hand grille - (not that place near the 106 Lamphun road, those idiots are breaking cars daily but keep trying to sell me plastic <deleted> for 800 Baht.)

The second item, and the most worrying, is a new set of injectors, I found some OEM Denso's but they are priced at 25,000 Baht each! Is this for real? Is this the price we have to pay for this Commonrail tech? Someone must know some honest breakers that offer a few bits at a fair price,

Denso CR injectors are aerospace-quality parts and not cheap. In the UK the price is in the region £250-350 each (฿10k - 14k) and I would expect to pay something similar in Thailand. Note that there are multiple variations/supersessions on these injectors so you MUST obtain the correct part number.

Cleaning/reconditioning will be less than half the price. Depends how many more miles you plan to run the truck. Cleaned injectors will start to play up much sooner.  Secondhand is obviously a bit of a gamble.

• Like 2

On 9/6/2022 at 11:00 PM, Kwasaki said:

How do you know you need new injectors, why not have them cleaned.

Usually about 5000 baht each not 25k.

Problem here is getting someone you trust to do the job properly, I have seen loads of these repair shops that are almost open air and totally filthy, I wouldn't let them clean my toilet let alone let them loose on an engine - you can just imagine it coming back with bits missing, bolts loose. I had a repair done years ago here (from people that came "highly recommended" when I was driving back after collecting the truck there was a loud thumping noise - they had forgot to put the tension bolt on the power steering pulley and it was just flopping all over the place)

On 9/6/2022 at 11:41 PM, HauptmannUK said:

Denso CR injectors are aerospace-quality parts and not cheap. In the UK the price is in the region £250-350 each (฿10k - 14k) and I would expect to pay something similar in Thailand. Note that there are multiple variations/supersessions on these injectors so you MUST obtain the correct part number.

Cleaning/reconditioning will be less than half the price. Depends how many more miles you plan to run the truck. Cleaned injectors will start to play up much sooner.  Secondhand is obviously a bit of a gamble.

If it turns out that the truck is as good as what I think it is, I will be keeping it, it will last longer than me! My biggest worry is finding someone to trust to do the job properly first time around. I do not want to be back and forward trying to get bad work fixed, I 99% trust my local Toyota dealer, he has never ripped me off in more than 20 years, so if it turns out that this is the real price, and handing it to someone I trust, then it will be Toyota  - my local, not the ones at Niyom in the city who are rip off merchants

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Formaleins said:

Problem here is getting someone you trust to do the job properly, I have seen loads of these repair shops that are almost open air and totally filthy, I wouldn't let them clean my toilet let alone let them loose on an engine - you can just imagine it coming back with bits missing, bolts loose. I had a repair done years ago here (from people that came "highly recommended" when I was driving back after collecting the truck there was a loud thumping noise - they had forgot to put the tension bolt on the power steering pulley and it was just flopping all over the place)

Ask people local to you to recommed someone.