Issan Cultural Log

macb

The idea of this Topic is to create a list from Folks who have visited places of interest in Issan:

We seem to have, a lot of Expats about to make the move to Issan or are considering it or wanting to visit;

So I thought it would be a good idea to add a catalogue of interesting places and there locations here also the link to a Web page if there is one for that particular place of interest:

MacB

i enjoy always reading your posts,

for me,to answer you question, i am planning to do a full tour of nongbualamphu,

as much as it is a small place and when ever people hear it there is a smile goining on.

i belive it has a big potential, unfortunatly now i am back home saving money to start building a house, but once that is done i am all for this idea of yours.

driving on the road between udn and nongbua there are many waterfalls and many national parks, that need to be identified.

so hopfully this topic will generate a list to were people can head,

and with all the expats coming all i HOPE is they do not want to change issan to become falang country like they do in other areas or cities, and that the issan people keep their style of living we all admire.

and i think this should way of living should be protect by the expats, and for teh love of god only eat falang food in eth big cities. where i hope nongbualamphu city will never get a pizza hut or macdonalds

For anyone travelling from Amnat Charoen to Mukdaharn ,visit what is left of the CRE Crown Airfield at Ban kok sam rahn, built by the RE,s and aussie and kiwi engineers in the 60,s and if your lucky I might be in residence :D, always a fresh meat and potato pie and a pint for first time visitors, and my home distilled Lao Khao is not to be sneezed at either, so dont be shy call in, fishing is great too!! :o Nignoy

Its been pointed out out me that there is a link on the Farang Connection Website which lists places of interest :

Well I was racking my brain what Topic to start as there had been comments made about Issan Forum is very quiet, (my life is very busy and tireing at the moment with mama and papa in hospital plus we have our daughter to raise as well) but I still try to find some time for the Forum.

So take you pick keep this going or close it or whatever :

I am very tired and worn out : Sorry that's how I feel at the moment out of character for me I know

Edited by macb

I've got to promote my "hometown" Pimai.

About 45 minutes Northeast of Korat, Pimai has the Pimai National museum, The beautiful ruins of Prasat Hin Phimai, and Sai Ngam, Thailands largest banyan tree.

post-36548-1182706860_thumb.jpg

post-36548-1182706968_thumb.jpg

post-36548-1182707440_thumb.jpg

post-36548-1182707464_thumb.jpg

post-36548-1182707490_thumb.jpg

post-36548-1182707506_thumb.jpg

I agree Pimai is wonderful. And, it's an easy day trip from Bangkok for those living there.

have my second home in Surin, but a long way from the Farang Connection. To get there for breakfast is nearly a 160km round trip.

At least the #2 Breakfast is worth eating for all that effort :o

• 1 month later...

I have decided revive this Topic :

There are a lot of Farangs in Thailand that are members of this Forum and also I am sure have visited a lot of places with photo evidence and verbal trip reports to support there visit:

This Topic is in no way meant to discredit the link in Farang Connection Web site which is very informative, but there are places that I am sure you have visited that folks want to know about.

May be you have created an album with photos in the Gallery then put he link here with a Narrative if you like :

A couple of years ago I did 2 week tour of Chang mai/rai areas with a friend and his wife : We covered a lot of kilometres in this time :

The wife and I travelled up to Petchabun the night before then we all set off the next morning. Heading for Chang mai taking a westerly route over the mountains, a few nights spent in Chang mai before moving on to Chang Rai then up to the border: mes sai (The border town was not very interesting so it was move on next day to the Golden Triangle from here we took a boat into Loas with no passport Control for some shopping at a little mkt . We ended up going back to Chang mai wonderful City in my opinion, we visited the hill tribes water falls Wats, on the way home we stopped at pitchanaluk to visit a Wat then back to Petch before the journey back to Huairat a great trip, if you have not been to this area I recommned it

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?au...m&album=559

Edited by macb

There are a lot of Farangs in Thailand that are members of this Forum and also I am sure have visited a lot of places with photo evidence and verbal trip reports to support there visit:

This Topic is in no way meant to discredit the link in Farang Connection Web site which is very informative, but there are places that I am sure you have visited that folks want to know about.

May be you have created an album with photos in the Gallery then put he link here with a Narrative if you like :

A couple of years ago I did 2 week tour of Chang mai/rai areas with a friend and his wife : We covered a lot of kilometres in this time :

The wife and I travelled up to Petchabun the night before then we all set off the next morning. Heading for Chang mai taking a westerly route over the mountains, a few nights spent in Chang mai before moving on to Chang Rai then up to the border: mes sai (The border town was not very interesting so it was move on next day to the Golden Triangle from here we took a boat into Loas with no passport Control for some shopping at a little mkt . We ended up going back to Chang mai wonderful City in my opinion, we visited the hill tribes water falls Wats, on the way home we stopped at pitchanaluk to visit a Wat then back to Petch before the journey back to Huairat a great trip, if you have not been to this area I recommned it

The farang connection website has not much on sisaket province. All the temples are clearly indicated

- The temple south of Kun Han is in a very bad shape and will probably collapse very soon. Not much to see other than the simple brick prang plus 2 nice lions. 20 km motorbike ride will do

- Pra Kun prasat is in very good shape and for a change the lintel stone removed have been sort of copied so you get an idea what was here. The temple is a short ride north or pra kun.

- 8 km south and then another 1 km east of Pra kun a beautiful small temple in a village. You might get a ride at the main road.

- the temple east of Kukhan is also a rather limited experience and again something for real khmer temple lowers. Some nice stones and a 140 baht motorbike ride. It is a long way from Khukan.

- Ta Muang. Take the 40 baht 9 AM bus to Ban Tiang. Then maybe 100 baht return trip (11 km from the village) to the border with the 3 temples. Very difficult to get ahead to Ban Kruat though.

- Chom Pra temple north of Surin is easily visited by public bus as it Ku Pra Ko Na further north. The bus drops you off almost in the temples.

- Ku Ka Sing is some 10-15 km west of Ku Pra Ko na

I know this is sketchy data but you can PM me anytime.

The best part of the temple hopping is to meet all these very nice people

A few years ago i went to a temple by Si Sa ket, the temple was amazing, as it had been built with green and brown bottles, with like a moat around it, i cannot remember where it was exactly, as i was not the one driving, anyone know. as would like to take a trip there on the bike one day.

Zeid,

Nonbualamphu, this is also a most beautifull part of Thailand, reminds me of Wales but even better, heve you been to the rocket festivel there, which happens in may, crazy, i have a few mates who live in Nonbua, a couple do motorcycle tours around the area.

Edited by Thaicoon

Mai sai, did you go to the Jade factory ?, interesting but expensive, also Mac, you should of gone to Mae Hong Son, another amazing little place, and gone to see the long neck tribe right on the burma border, i went here about 11 years ago, heck of a place to get to then, boat up the pie river then 4x4 through the jungle, may of all changed now, i will go back and see one day.

May see you next week.........

Edited by Thaicoon

A few years ago i went to a temple by Si Sa ket, the temple was amazing, as it had been built with green and brown bottles, with like a moat around it, i cannot remember where it was exactly, as i was not the one driving, anyone know. as would like to take a trip there on the bike one day.

Zeid,

Nonbualamphu, this is also a most beautifull part of Thailand, reminds me of Wales but even better, heve you been to the rocket festivel there, which happens in may, crazy, i have a few mates who live in Nonbua, a couple do motorcycle tours around the area.

Yes I've been to that temple too. It's not that far from Khun Han. Gets a bit hot on the bare feet in the sun stepping on those bottles though. Any idea how many bottles it took to build it?

Zeid,

Yes I've been to that temple too. It's not that far from Khun Han. Gets a bit hot on the bare feet in the sun stepping on those bottles though. Any idea how many bottles it took to build it?

And i thought Monks did not drink, crikey there must be 1000s of bottles, amazing place, do you know the name of the temple, as may go for another vist this time, i have a mate in sesaket, but not sure if he is home, as he is working on the new ship outside Venice, the New Queen Victoria.

The temple is called Wat Laan Kuat - Billion Bottle Temple, and is in the centre of Khun Han, just a couple of 100 meters west of the big roundabout.

For those interested in more info/pictures ..............just send me a pm.

The temple is called Wat Laan Kuat - Billion Bottle Temple, and is in the centre of Khun Han, just a couple of 100 meters west of the big roundabout.

For those interested in more info/pictures ..............just send me a pm.

Bergen,

Many thanks, I will take a trip there next week on the bike, be a nice ride out, post some pics, i think other thaivisa members would like to see them, i have pics somewhere but taken on 35mil not digital, i think i am right but the roof is something else also, a lot of work and skill gone into it.

There’s another temple on the northwest side of Sisaket that impressed me. I think the temple name is Phrathat Ruang Rong

It has a large teak temple in the middle surrounded by many large animal figures overlooking fields. From the carpark you enter the temple grounds under a figure of a horse. One building, the size of a house, looks like a huge cart being pulled by oxen.

If my memory serves me right, as you head out of Sisaket towards Surin turn right (north) at the first traffic lights after you’ve crossed the bridge. Travel up this road (2373?) for maybe 5 or so kilometres then make a right turn towards a village. Just past the village you can’t miss the temple on the right. The car park is big with parking for tour buses.

Unfortunately when I visited it was near dusk and too dark to take photos. One of these days I’ll make a trip back to take some. It was one of those impressive temples you don’t expect to see in a small village.

Edited by Farma

We travel regularly between Buri Ram and Chiang Rai. My wife has a sister married a Farang (Dutch bloke) up there. Last time we visited we went to a very beautiful temple at the foot of a steep mountain with a clear water river running through the middle, just north of Mae Chan on the road to Mae Sai.

The place hosted lots of monkeys. My wifes sister Tan made the mistake of taking bananas in a bag in to the temple grounds. A large male monkey decided that he wanted the kwae and tried to take her bag. She resisted and the boy bit her on the leg. So we spent the day at the Payabaan getting her some rabies shots. We won't be going there again.

Zeid,

Hi, the temple is called Wat Lan Kuat and means One Million Bottle Temple. located in Khun Han District.

More about Sisaket attractions see http://www.sisaket.go.th , http://www.sisaket.de , http://www.pao-sisaket.go.th

Frank

Well as I can see it was worth reviving this Topic : Thanks guys keep it coming in great stuff:

Thaiccoon Yep I did do the Jade Factory shop but managed not to but something was a narrow escape lol I got a mote from UK arriving tomorrow for a longf stay so you will get meet him as well if its okay I will bring Lee and my missus and daughter once your ensconced and free in the village: You need to get over to mine as well.

BICKO:

I have sent you a pm with my mobile number :

Well as I can see it was worth reviving this Topic : Thanks guys keep it coming in great stuff:

Thaiccoon Yep I did do the Jade Factory shop but managed not to but something was a narrow escape lol I got a mote from UK arriving tomorrow for a longf stay so you will get meet him as well if its okay I will bring Lee and my missus and daughter once your ensconced and free in the village: You need to get over to mine as well.

BICKO:

Cheers mate. will be home again in 5 weeks and will look you up. Will be home for at least 4 or 5 weeks this time as we are planning to buy land, probably in or near either Buri Ram or Korat to build another house.

BICKO:

Mac,

No problem, more the merrier, look forward to it, your wife knows where i am situated, did you understand my welsh instructions, no, not follow that sheep.