When are you no longer eligible (age wise) to drive in Thailand?

giddyup

58 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

What reaction test? On my third Thai licence, the only thing I have had to do is identify colors.

I would have thought sensible people here determine their own fitness to drive a vehicle.

Soon my next renewal is due. I am applying again mainly because the plastic card can serve as an easy identification without the constant need of a passport - not as a permission to drive.

As you say: My self assessment tells me to refrain from driving if possible exept for an emergency although I might pass all of the tests (last time here in Pattaya: Color and reaction only, easy to pass)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

When I applied for my first Thai license decades ago a medical certificate was required which included being free from leprosy.

I threw my bell away and passed.......????

They gave you a freebie on STD's? Sorry, couldn't resist.

• Haha 1

Just now, moogradod said:

Soon my next renewal is due. I am applying again mainly because the plastic card can serve as an easy identification without the constant need of a passport - not as a permission to drive.

As you say: My self assessment tells me to refrain from driving if possible exept for an emergency although I might pass all of the tests (last time here in Pattaya: Color and reaction only, easy to pass)

I haven't driven at night for a long time. My night vision was never good, even when young. Might have something to do with being color blind.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I haven't driven at night for a long time. My night vision was never good, even when young. Might have something to do with being color blind.

Then better not drive at night if you can manage that. I do not think that color blindness has something to do with that. I am sort of "half-color-blind" (difficult to tell someboy else how this manifests) myself but pass the color blindness test at the DLT easily (only a fully blown Ishihara test would be a problem). And I have no problems at night whatsoever.

17 minutes ago, Darfoulde said:

I was talking to my Thai gf yesterday and said I might get a car. She said great I will drive it. I said you haven’t driven a car and haven’t go a license. She said if I have car I have license ????

Just humour her. A set up like this will be safe enough.

200w.gif

2 hours ago, peterfranks said:

That is sarcasm, right? Well I hope it is.

Sorry to disappoint you. Peripheral vision actually is not all that necessary if one's eyes are put to full use, in preference to staring straight ahead.

As for defensive driving, everyone who got a company car in the organization I worked for in Australia was required to pass a defensive driving test before they got the keys. That has stood the test of time and Thai incompetence for me.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, giddyup said:

The colors come up randomly, not in the same order as a real traffic light. The reaction test is the brake test, you hit the brake when the light turns from green to red.

The one I used, you had to put the throttle Flat to the floor Then SLAM on the brake, using the throttle or brake pedal gently would not work.  ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

No ABS then?

Not all vehicles have ABS, my Vios does not. Off topic perhaps; however, I do notice manual gearboxes are a rarity here. Personally, I feel drivers would be better everywhere if they were made to qualify for their licences without ABS, and with a manual gearbox.

afp2.png

Edited by Lacessit
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Qman said:

Renewal requires the color and reaction tests which could potentially fail some people. 

The colour test  needs to be replaced as the Red dot  has turned Pink due to being  so old, When the lady points to it Farangs answer Pink, then she shouts, NO,  ITS RED  ....LOL 

17 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Not all vehicles have ABS, my Vios does not. Off topic perhaps; however, I do notice manual gearboxes are a rarity here. Personally, I feel drivers would be better everywhere if they were made to qualify for their licences without ABS, and with a manual gearbox.

afp2.png

I was replying to brianthainess about the brake used in the brake test. It was a joke.

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

The one I used, you had to put the throttle Flat to the floor Then SLAM on the brake, using the throttle or brake pedal gently would not work.  ????

Exactly as it was at the Chatuchack DLT..........When I did it I was so quick only one green light was lit up on the bottom, and the lady said too fast....lol.  Had me do it again and the same response.  I looked at her and said I stopped quick, and she said stop slowly so no get hit from back.....lol

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, giddyup said:
28 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Which countries do that?

Well, the UK for one. If you really want to know Google it.

No, the UK does not require that, DVLA requires a self-assessment, that's all.   If you really want to know, ask me, I renewed my licence at 70 online, there is no driving test required.   Don't rely on Google!

Edited by Liverpool Lou

27 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Which countries do that?

The US does as far as the States issuing the licenses.  First you need to do an eye exam and then take the written again.  If you wear glasses then your license/s show a restriction that indicates you must wear glasses while driving.  Here I have never been asked if I need my glasses to drive and have never heard of a glasses restriction on a license.  I wear glasses and need them when I drive at night, but not during the day......

20 hours ago, Qman said:

Renewal requires the color and reaction tests which could potentially fail some people. 

Ive seen older gents barely able to stand even with their walking sticks fail the color and reaction tests at Banglamung...... and still get issued with a renewed licence.

4 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Ive seen older gents barely able to stand even with their walking sticks fail the color and reaction tests at Banglamung...... and still get issued with a renewed licence.

If that is true then it is no wonder I saw what I did last week on driving back from Hua Hin when I was almost hit when a car drove from a driveway across all lanes at no more than 5 kph in a 90kph zone.........

Edited by ThailandRyan

On 9/7/2022 at 6:17 PM, Bobtheblob said:

If your licence is valid and you pass the tests every 5 years there is no limit. If you have never held a licence you are not allowed to apply after 70.

Are you sure about that? To my wife´s father they said no over 60.

20 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

I don't think the previous color test, the one made up of small dots, was necessary. I would have failed that every time as I'm color blind, but passed with help from a bystander. With the new test even I can pass, as the three colors are large, red, yellow and green. Australia never had a color test and I don't recall doing one in the UK either.

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I don't think the previous color test, the one made up of small dots, was necessary. I would have failed that every time as I'm color blind, but passed with help from a bystander.

do you use a walking stick by chance ?

Maybe it was you I watched !!