Pizzas & Ribs

p1p

I wasn't commenting on the Mexican food (which many people have complimented on TV). I am a Miguel's fan also.

I was pushing the ribs which at least 3 other places have started copying!

Restaurants in Chiang Mai that serve BBQ ribs:

The Duke's, He11's Kitchen, Salsa Kitchen, Sojos, Chiang Mai Saloon, O'Malley's, Queen Vic, Hungry Horse, Filmore East (if he ever returns).

These are the ones that I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure that there are more (Chinese style ribs).

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what happened when I went to salsa kitchen. I had the ribs and they were mushy with a bland tomato sauce on them. I liked the ribs at the dukes but did not like the barbecue sauce they serve either. The German Brew Pub behind Carrafuor had good ribs when they first opened then they removed them from the menu. I will try Hells Kitchen next time i am in town.

OK, Austhaied. Will try to go by in next few days and report back.

BTW, just got back from the Royal Project market. Bought some cheese, knackwurst. Looks like I'm eating German tonight.

Dang, I seem to have misplaced my lederhosen.... :o

McG

Where is the royal project market ? And don't just say chiang mai. I still have not found out which one sells jalepenos.

I don't know what happened when I went to salsa kitchen. I had the ribs and they were mushy with a bland tomato sauce on them. I liked the ribs at the dukes but did not like the barbecue sauce they serve either. The German Brew Pub behind Carrafuor had good ribs when they first opened then they removed them from the menu. I will try Hells Kitchen next time i am in town.

Maybe Sojo's as well?

The food is very good there and they have started to smoke their ribs.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Anyone else tried Spicchio's Pizza at Airport Plaza yet ? In Bangkok they were quite good but as p1p has reported otherwise i am interested in a second or third opinion. To me this is more important than river sand and fly spray.. :o:D

One of my buddies who seems to be blessed with pretty good taste was ALSO not very impressed with Spiccio's at Airport Plaza as of a few days ago. :D

Anyone else tried Spicchio's Pizza at Airport Plaza yet ? In Bangkok they were quite good but as p1p has reported otherwise i am interested in a second or third opinion. To me this is more important than river sand and fly spray.. :o:D

I tried it maybe a week, 10 days ago. Maybe even was the first day it was open because I noticed that it was new.

So far, it was typical mall fare. I had a sausage and cheese roll. They put it in the oven for a couple minutes to heat it up, but it didn't work--it was still cold inside. Didn't really bother me, since I have a "cat's tongue" anyway. It was a decent little roll but nothing spectacular. Not sure I would eat pizza there since there a couple options in CM that already fit the bill.

Had the ribs at Tuskers tonight and like everything else about this my favourite drinking establishment they were TOP NOTCH.

Excellent food, Excellent service, BEER LAO and a terrific host what more could a man ask ?

I totally agree, in fact i have made it a regular weekly treat. Although ribs were included in the Friday night, all you can eat, buffet so i may have to make it a twice a week treat this week!!! Maybe see you in Tuskers some time Princealbert.

Had the ribs at Tuskers tonight and like everything else about this my favourite drinking establishment they were TOP NOTCH.

Excellent food, Excellent service, BEER LAO and a terrific host what more could a man ask ?

I totally agree, in fact i have made it a regular weekly treat. Although ribs were included in the Friday night, all you can eat, buffet so i may have to make it a twice a week treat this week!!! Maybe see you in Tuskers some time Princealbert.

I believe we have already met and have talked. I am normally a Friday night warrior at Tuskers and enjoyed a beer or two or G & T as the case may be.

Edited by princealbert

Maybe Sojo's as well?

The food is very good there and they have started to smoke their ribs.

I will try sojo's if you let me know where it is.

Right behind Panthip Plaza on the corner of Sri Don Chi Road and a small soi - close to Suriwong Books, but on the other side of the street and closer to the Night Bazaar.

Not open very late though.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I believe we have already met and have talked. I am normally a Friday night warrior at Tuskers and enjoyed a beer or two or G & T as the case may be.

Well from that information i would say that we have already met! See you this Friday then?

Well from that information i would say that we have already met! See you this Friday then?

Depends what day the outlaws sorry i mean the inlaws arrive this weekend but i will endeavour to join you and your partner in crime for one or three of the said beverages, but starting to feel a little guilty about the amount of free beer we are getting.

The cards have been very kind lately :o

Depends what day the outlaws sorry i mean the inlaws arrive this weekend but i will endeavour to join you and your partner in crime for one or three of the said beverages, but starting to feel a little guilty about the amount of free beer we are getting.

The cards have been very kind lately :o

Well, as they say, luck changes and one Friday it'll be a night of spades - so enjoy it while you can! I'll see you there if you get a pass!

Chef Pom at The House asked me to try his ribs which he is adding to the menu the other day. Superb. Gorgeous sauce, kinda crunchy somehow on the crust but full of meat and no fat. Yum. Not sure about the price though, apparently it is going to be served at the Ginger Cafe next door, which is much cheaper than Tha House.

• 5 weeks later...

Tried the pizza at The Guitarman last night. Very nice indeed, we tried the pepperoni one and were pleasantly surprised by it's spicy kick. It went down great with a few coldies and The Tonic Rays struttin their stuff. A great night out yet again. :o

I also tried the new Dukes in the Night Bazaar recently, went with the wife and we tried the ribs and the white pizza - the ribs were excellent not so sure about the pizza; it tasted sort of like an upmarket cheese on toast.

I concur on the white pizza not being my cup of tea, but the pepperoni with mushrooms and olives tastes pretty much just like home. :o

UG, we could have been relatives in a past life.. That pizza is my favorite. Although i sometimes add the smelly fishies.. :D

Well if he isn't and I can see the family resemblence for the two of you :D, you and I definitely are - the Pepperoni, Mushroom, Olive and Anchovie pizza is simply the best. Ahhhh Lygon Street I still remember you Hmmmm

CB

I also tried the new Dukes in the Night Bazaar recently, went with the wife and we tried the ribs and the white pizza - the ribs were excellent not so sure about the pizza; it tasted sort of like an upmarket cheese on toast.

I concur on the white pizza not being my cup of tea, but the pepperoni with mushrooms and olives tastes pretty much just like home. :o

UG, we could have been relatives in a past life.. That pizza is my favorite. Although i sometimes add the smelly fishies.. :D

Well if he isn't and I can see the family resemblence for the two of you :D, you and I definitely are - the Pepperoni, Mushroom, Olive and Anchovie pizza is simply the best. Ahhhh Lygon Street I still remember you Hmmmm

CB

Ah Lygon St.

To keep this on topic lets kidnap one of the Lygon St pizza chefs and put him to work in CM right away..(just kidding mods)..

post-31110-1186134490_thumb.jpg

post-31110-1186134503_thumb.jpg

post-31110-1186134512_thumb.jpg

post-31110-1186134523_thumb.jpg

post-31110-1186134568_thumb.jpg

CB

Ah Lygon St.

To keep this on topic lets kidnap one of the Lygon St pizza chefs and put him to work in CM right away..(just kidding mods)..

Papa Gino's yeah - I know, let's kidnap the entire staff at Dimis and show the local Italian restauranteurs what really good Italian food looks and tastes like.

CB

Spicchio's Airport Plaza. Avoid this place if you like your pizza's with a tomato sauce base, taste, decent base, toppings etc... Compared to the ones at the Bangkok skytrains stations, it's garbage. I am not one to bag new places, but as this is a franchise and not a small business venture, i won't hesitate to tell you to save your money for something else.

Spicchio's Airport Plaza. Avoid this place if you like your pizza's with a tomato sauce base, taste, decent base, toppings etc... Compared to the ones at the Bangkok skytrains stations, it's garbage. I am not one to bag new places, but as this is a franchise and not a small business venture, i won't hesitate to tell you to save your money for something else.

I was standing outside this place just the other day trying to recall if it was recommended here or panned. Perusing the anemic looking slices on display I gave it a pass.

I was standing outside this place just the other day trying to recall if it was recommended here or panned. Perusing the anemic looking slices on display I gave it a pass.

Anemic, that about sums it up. No sauce and almost no cheese, who are they trying to kid.

Anyone tried Napoli pizza joint near Spicy ??

This is what we need for REAL pizza in CM:

1) Most important, a crust, whether thick, thin or in-between, that has a seductive perfect fresh-baked flavor. So good that you could eat just the crust, and enjoy it.

2) a perfect schmeer (Yiddish word) of tomato paste. Or none. "White" pizza is OK, with certain toppings (like seafood), but generally not too much, or too little tomato paste makes the pie...

3) Real mozzarella. I know bufalo cheese is fiendishly expensive...but LOTS of good cow's milk mozzarella still does the job

4) a proper pizza oven to cook with!!!! 500 degrees F.

5) Real toppings. This means pepperoni, Kalamata olives, onion, fresh mushrooms, anchovies (for those who like them), fresh basil, etc. No weiners in the crust, pineapple, or other cr_p.

I'm still waiting. :o

This is what we need for REAL pizza in CM:

1) Most important, a crust, whether thick, thin or in-between, that has a seductive perfect fresh-baked flavor. So good that you could eat just the crust, and enjoy it.

2) a perfect schmeer (Yiddish word) of tomato paste. Or none. "White" pizza is OK, with certain toppings (like seafood), but generally not too much, or too little tomato paste makes the pie...

3) Real mozzarella. I know bufalo cheese is fiendishly expensive...but LOTS of good cow's milk mozzarella still does the job

4) a proper pizza oven to cook with!!!! 500 degrees F.

5) Real toppings. This means pepperoni, Kalamata olives, onion, fresh mushrooms, anchovies (for those who like them), fresh basil, etc. No weiners in the crust, pineapple, or other cr_p.

I'm still waiting. :o

Go here bro.. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...t&p=1453733

Edited by Austhaied

Austhaied, I don't know, why you bear such a grudge against Spicchio at Central Airport Plaza. I eat there at least once a week, and imho they have the best pizza dough in Chiang Mai. That's the only place I would consider having italian pizzas. About the quantity of the toppings, i think it's ok.

Austhaied, I don't know, why you bear such a grudge against Spicchio at Central Airport Plaza. I eat there at least once a week, and imho they have the best pizza dough in Chiang Mai. That's the only place I would consider having italian pizzas. About the quantity of the toppings, i think it's ok.

anyone tried pizza co.? buy one free one. sucker for it? OF COURSE !