Pizzas & Ribs

p1p

I am testing out a new bullet-proof vest here, so take it easy in your replies please :o

We decided to try out the new Pizza place, Spiccio, in Airport Plaza over the weekend.

It was a severe disappointment. The thin crusts were good, but the toppings were a severe disappointment. Almost tasteless tomato sauce, if you could find it and next to no seasoning. Garlic bread was cotton wool topped with mush and two of our four baked pie-like things were still almost frozen inside. (All problems pointed out to the management there.)

It seems they need a bit of time to get run in - we will try again in a month or two.

On another note entirely, we made the severe mistake of following UG's suggestions and eating ribs, (and other dishes,) at the Salsa Kitchen. Mistake? The children haven't shut up about it since. We enjoyed one of the best meals we have ever eaten in Chiang Mai and I am personally still dreaming about the spectacular Ribs. (I always thought mine were good, but I take my hat off to a true genius in the rib dept.) Go there!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We decided to try out the new Pizza place, Spiccio, in Airport Plaza over the weekend.

It was a severe disappointment. The thin crusts were good, but the toppings were a severe disappointment. Almost tasteless tomato sauce, if you could find it and next to no seasoning. Garlic bread was cotton wool topped with mush and two of our four baked pie-like things were still almost frozen inside. (All problems pointed out to the management there.)

It seems they need a bit of time to get run in - we will try again in a month or two.

Thanks for the warning p1p, but could you give us an idea of where Spiccio is in Airport Plaza?

I am hoping that the bad news is mostly because they are newly-opened and that they might get it together after a while. I would also like to try it in a month or so.

I'm glad that you enjoyed Salsa Kitchen. Good food and a most gracious host. :o

My personal favourite is hel_l's Kitchen which is in the midst of moving to Anusarn Market near O'Malleys. The owners are friendly and the ribs are great.

I also was at Sojo's last night and learned that they have ribs on the weekend - I'll have to try it next time.

As far as Salsa Kitchen - the food is good but beware of the floor. Last year, the floor literally gave way and my leg fell threw while the rest of my body fell down the stairs. My back has been pretty bad since and I haven't been able to exercise. Nevertheless, I've ventured back a couple of times to the restaurant and have enjoyed the food every time.

On another note entirely, we made the severe mistake of following UG's suggestions and eating ribs, (and other dishes,) at the Salsa Kitchen. Mistake? The children haven't shut up about it since. We enjoyed one of the best meals we have ever eaten in Chiang Mai and I am personally still dreaming about the spectacular Ribs. (I always thought mine were good, but I take my hat off to a true genius in the rib dept.) Go there!

p1p, Crow Boy and I returned to Salsa Kitchen (my 4th visit, his 2nd) for a meal last Thursday. Although I have sampled some of the other menu offerings, this visit, we both settled on the ribs.

I wish I had a photo of Crow Boy's plate when he was done eating.

The bones looked like they had been through some industrial process, they were so clean... :D

And don't forget the best Margaritas in CM, made with fresh lime juice.....

Highly recommended, and a special thanks to UG who gave the original tip! :o

McG

Are the Salsa Kitchen ribs as good as hel_l's Kitchen? If so, where is Salsa Kitchen?

(I apologize if "hel_l's Kitchen" offends anyone, but that is the name.)

It is located on the soi (parallel to Ratchawithi) behind the UN Irish Pub. You know, the street with all the reggae bars! Go to UN Irish, heading west on Ratchawithi. Immediately past (blink and you'll miss it) is a tiny narrow brick paved soi. Turn right (north), go up approx. 50 meters, turn left (west). Now you're on dirt "reggae street". About 20 meters up on left (south side of street) is Salsa Kitchen.

hel_l's Kitchen ribs are better... but Salsa Kitchen has more selection of food and all of it is pretty good. As McG said, they have the best Margaritas in town.

Are they real margaritas (on the rocks) or the tourist kind (frozen)? :o

hel_l's Kitchen ribs are better... but Salsa Kitchen has more selection of food and all of it is pretty good. As McG said, they have the best Margaritas in town.

Are they real margaritas (on the rocks) or the tourist kind (frozen)? :o

I'm not a margarita expert and never knew there was a difference. We always used to either shake on the rocks or make frozen in a commercial ice cream machine, depending on the order.

p1p, Crow Boy and I returned to Salsa Kitchen (my 4th visit, his 2nd) for a meal last Thursday. Although I have sampled some of the other menu offerings, this visit, we both settled on the ribs.

I wish I had a photo of Crow Boy's plate when he was done eating.

The bones looked like they had been through some industrial process, they were so clean... :D

I went to boarding school when I was 9, after that I spent a couple of years on droving camps in Northern Territory and Queensland, then fifteen years in the Army - I am used to fighting for my meals :D I also abide by the saying about ribs and women. The closer the bone - the sweeter the meat :D

Agree that the ribs are good. It is funny but most of you Americans like the ribs when the meat is litterally falling of the bone. I prefer to have to chew it a bit myself. That said the first time we went there the meat was so soft it was fantastic. I think it is the fact that they smoke them for hours first and then store the ribs under cover. Then when they get an order they heat them up over charcoal and serve. A lot of other places (apparently) boil the ribs and then simply splash on a "smoked" sauce to give them flavour.

And don't forget the best Margaritas in CM, made with fresh lime juice.....

Highly recommended, and a special thanks to UG who gave the original tip! :o

McG

You and your margueritas - I thought they were a type of pizza :D I stick to beer instead. I like tequila but it has to be good quality and that is something not commonly found here in Thailand. The average tequila here is rough and needs to be slammed down hard to hide the taste. Good mexican tequila is as smooth as top quality scotch. The comparision here is the average tequila in CM is like Benmore or 100 Pipers.

In a different message I read about He_ls Kitchen which is next to Changers & Bangers bar on Th Chaiyaphum - the ribs there are good but in my opinion not as good as Salsa Kitchen. I used to go there but have now been converted to a Salsa Kitchen fan.

Lastly back to the original posting from p1p - I had a pizza at Guitarman on Thursday night - I like it, the pizza is made in a gas fired oven out front. It was a hand rolled base, with fresh toppings. They finish of the base by taking it out of the metal pan and putting it directly on the hot tiles in the oven to just crisp it a bit. The crust is either a thick thin or a thin thick. No stupid cheese crust or bits of sausage either, just good quality pizza dough. The pizza names have a musical theme and I had a "sex pistols" which was pretty good. If anything it had too much cheese on it for my taste but no where near the amount of grease of the normal pizza fare in CM. Pizza, like music is subjective, what I love you may hate and visa versa but check it out, you may just become a fan of the bar, the live music and the food.

CB

Edited by Crow Boy

Well up until this year I was a rib virgin! After hearing all the praise about Salsa Kitchen's ribs I decided to give them a try and became an instant convert.

I was in there last week trying there new Caribbean menu, not bad but not as good as the Mexican or the ribs, I also love there margarittas.

I also tried the new Dukes in the Night Bazaar recently, went with the wife and we tried the ribs and the white pizza - the ribs were excellent not so sure about the pizza; it tasted sort of like an upmarket cheese on toast.

earlofwindmere - I must admit the Salsa kitchen does seem to be a bit on the unstable side, I'll have to watch myself next time I over do it on the margarittas there.

Are they real margaritas (on the rocks) or the tourist kind (frozen)? :D

Neither. Blended, but very briefly, so the ice is finely chipped, but not slushy like an American "Slurpy".

A large glass pitcher (1+ liter) is 299 B.

I agree with Crow Boy about tequila here. I like fine tequila too (Herradura Anejo is my fav) but in a blended drink like a Margarita, most people are not as picky...one would not mix Remy Martin XO with Coke, for example.

Try them, you'll like them! :o

In a different message I read about He_ls Kitchen which is next to Changers & Bangers bar on Th Chaiyaphum - the ribs there are good but in my opinion not as good as Salsa Kitchen. I used to go there but have now been converted to a Salsa Kitchen fan.

I agree that Salsa Kitchen has had the best ribs for a while - John was the first to smoke the ribs until the meat was so tender it falls off the bones - but - from what I hear - Dave at the Duke's and Lateef at He11's Kitchen (and Sojourner's restaurant) have copied him and are also smoking their ribs, so any of them might end up as "best" (and other places are more comfortable). :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

I also tried the new Dukes in the Night Bazaar recently, went with the wife and we tried the ribs and the white pizza - the ribs were excellent not so sure about the pizza; it tasted sort of like an upmarket cheese on toast.

I concur on the white pizza not being my cup of tea, but the pepperoni with mushrooms and olives tastes pretty much just like home. :o

I concur on the white pizza not being my cup of tea, but the pepperoni with mushrooms and olives tastes pretty much just like home. :o

UG, we could have been relatives in a past life.. That pizza is my favorite. Although i sometimes add the smelly fishies.. :D

I found the salsa kitchen during daylight hours. Not in any way wanting to denigrate this business. id like to offer something constructive to offset the gushing of other posters here. I have run and owned many restaurants in various parts of the world.

Salsa kitchen produce good food. The place isnt the cleanest or best appointed restaurant in chiang mai. I wouldnt let my wife or 4 kids eat at the restaurant. I sampled the food (take away) It was ok.

Im sure after a few pitchers of jungle juice and the reggae going on and darkness the place would take on a whole new feel.

If I was a tourist strolling in the day Id never go in there.

I didnt mount the steps but i wonder how are the kitchens and toilets

just asking?

No worries, happy to respond.

I am a "chowhound" (google it)- meaning, someone who will go anywhere, anytime to experience good food.

I've eaten at Salsa Kitchen at 5:30 PM (daylight) and had one Heineken (lg) as accompaniment to the entire meal.

I've also partaken of the "jungle juice", but this did not color my opinion of the RIBS (my emphasis).

When last there (actually Fri last, not Thurs as posted) at the table behind CrowBoy and myself, was seated a rather rotund and pink English gentleman, with his wife and 2 daughters. Judging by the plates they cleared off the table, it appears they had a very good repast. They seemed to leave in a very good mood.... :D

I have never met the owner; I understand he is Canadian. I just like the RIBS..... :o

Although the environs are a bit rough around the edges, personally I find it just funky and charming. I've eaten haute cuisine worldwide, but I don't mind getting down and dirty if the product is good.

Next time do a sit-down, and order the ribs, maybe accompanied by a corn fritter Jamaican appetizer....and let us know what you think!

McG

PS Toilets are clean and nice.

Edited by mcgriffith

I would like to mention that because the quality of meat in Thailand is not consistant, none of the rib places are consistant either.

When I rave about how great any of the rib places are, I am admittedly ignoring the one out of five times that the meat is tough or dry in any of these places because I think that a bad piece of meat every once in a while comes with the territory. If you try a place one time and are not satisfied, but you love ribs, it might be worth a second visit. :o

Are they real margaritas (on the rocks) or the tourist kind (frozen)? :D

Neither. Blended, but very briefly, so the ice is finely chipped, but not slushy like an American "Slurpy".

A large glass pitcher (1+ liter) is 299 B.

I agree with Crow Boy about tequila here. I like fine tequila too (Herradura Anejo is my fav) but in a blended drink like a Margarita, most people are not as picky...one would not mix Remy Martin XO with Coke, for example.

Try them, you'll like them! :o

I haven't been to Miguel's since Mike left, but the margaritas there were my personal local fave. On the rocks, just like in south Texas and Mexico, rather than the California blender version. I haven't tried Salsa Kitchen's ribs, but am not so impressed with their Mexican fare. Portions are huge, more than I can eat in one sitting, but for big eaters it's decent value.

I haven't tried Salsa Kitchen's ribs, but am not so impressed with their Mexican fare.

The fact that almost every other rib restaurant in town is now copying Salsa Kitchen's cooking methods tells one a lot about how good they are. :o

I wonder when we will get a chance to sample p1p's culinary prowess in action.. Any hint as to what, where and when p1p ? Look forward to it as your sauce is some of the best I've ever tasted..

Almost as good as the sauces in Lygon St, Melbourne, but not quite. :o

Anyone else tried Spicchio's Pizza at Airport Plaza yet ? In Bangkok they were quite good but as p1p has reported otherwise i am interested in a second or third opinion. To me this is more important than river sand and fly spray.. :o:D

Why not try it out yourself and give us your opinion? :o

I'd go myself, but as I'm on a bit of a diet I try to avoid pizza right now.

I would if i could, but I'm floating on a ship in the middle of The Gulf of Thailand (with shitty food), hence my question.

Cheers.

AT. :D

Edited by Austhaied

OK, Austhaied. Will try to go by in next few days and report back.

BTW, just got back from the Royal Project market. Bought some cheese, knackwurst. Looks like I'm eating German tonight.

Dang, I seem to have misplaced my lederhosen.... :o

McG

BTW, just got back from the Royal Project market. Bought some cheese, knackwurst. Looks like I'm eating German tonight.

McG

The pork jerky is superb from there as well McG. Barbecued or wok fried..Aroi maak. :D

One of my staff got stuck babysitting me at immigration and we had not finished at lunchtime, so were forced to eat nearby. I was going to bring them to Spicchio's Pizza at Airport Plaza, but p1p really scared me off for the moment.

Instead, we ate at a small Thai place very close to Immigration that also had Farang food and it was very pleasant and cool.

McG

The pork jerky is superb from there as well McG. Barbecued or wok fried..Aroi maak. :D

Darn, I had a package in my hands; wasn't sure so didn't buy. Next Time....

McG

One of my staff got stuck babysitting me at immigration and we had not finished at lunchtime, so were forced to eat nearby. I was going to bring them to Spicchio's Pizza at Airport Plaza, but p1p really scared me off for the moment.

Instead, we ate at a small Thai place very close to Immigration that also had Farang food and it was very pleasant and cool.

Next time I'm at CM Imm for a while, I'm going to try out the Chinese restaurant p1p and others posted about a while ago. In the gas station across the street, northern/Pekinese style (not the dog, the city!) :o

McG

I haven't tried Salsa Kitchen's ribs, but am not so impressed with their Mexican fare.

The fact that almost every other rib restaurant in town is now copying Salsa Kitchen's cooking methods tells one a lot about how good they are. :o

Exactly what does copying the ribs tell us about how good their Mexican food is? :D

Answer: It seems to tell us that a few places may be interested in copying their ribs, but not their Mexican fare. This could be said to imply they are not too impressed with the Mexican fare at Salsa Kitchen. :D Although I'd eat Mexican at Salsa Kitchen again, Miguels would be my preference, in Chiang Mai. Must try the ribs next time I do get to SK.

BTW how many 'rib restaurants' are there in Chiang Mai? Can't be that many.