Families Argue After Ninth Grader Badly Slashes Fellow Student For ‘Bullying’

webfact

image.jpeg

The classroom where the attack took place. The Thai headline says, “Countered that he never bullied.”

TNR Staff

THE families of two students with one having badly slashed the other for allegedly bullying him argued over compensation while the injured boy denied tormenting his classmate, Sanook.com said yesterday (Sept. 7).

The unnamed ninth grade student at a school in Pakham district of Buriram province used a grass hook which he brought from home to slash his classmate at the back of his neck, shoulder and hips on Sept. 2. The injured boy was rushed to the hospital.

A friend of the injured boy also got hurt in the right arm after being hit with a chair by the attacker’s friend while moving in to stop the assault. 

Full story: https://thainewsroom.com/2022/09/07/families-argue-after-ninth-grader-badly-slashes-fellow-student-for-bullying/

tn.jpg

-- © Copyright  THAI NEWSROOM 2022-09-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:

compensation for what?? Bullying goin on maybe for how long and when the students has enough of it now they want compensation....My parents would say go in a room together and fight till you have solved the problem

Bullying doesn't usually involve attacking someone with a weapon and coming close to killing them. But maybe you went to a different kind of school where that was the norm, rather than having an exchange of words and maybe a few fists flying. And you have/had disgraceful parents if they would encourage violence. I guess some people are just not suited to being parents, but then, no qualifications are needed for that, are there. Any idiot can be one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:

compensation for what?? Bullying goin on maybe for how long and when the students has enough of it now they want compensation....My parents would say go in a room together and fight till you have solved the problem

Isn't that another way of saying 'Might makes Right'? 

This goes back to the school and ore importantly, the parents.  Thailand is becoming more and more like the U.S., which we see on the news and read about online.

First parents are too busy to be involved intheir kids lives therefore kids are not taught about being responsible for your actions.

Bullies in schools have existed since there were schools.

Students used to be able to go to teachers who would then talk to the student or the parents and get it resolved.  Unfortunately kids now seem to think that they have to resolve it themselves.

Yes the parents should pay medical bills but besides that maybe instead of teaching stuff schools and parents can get back to teaching the life skills that are necessary such as integrity, honesty and ethics as well as reading writing and arithmetic

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

Bullying in answer to bullying will accomplish nothing.  Who is the bigger bully?  In this case, the slasher might be tried for attempted murder--that's a much more serious charge than bullying.

Worked for me when I was at school many years ago...

a bully started to pester me everyday for my pocket money after he had exhausted most of the playground of their money...

I pulled out some change from my pocket with my left hand which he readily took.. as I broke his nose with my right hand.

He never bothered me again.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Bullying doesn't usually involve attacking someone with a weapon and coming close to killing them. But maybe you went to a different kind of school where that was the norm, rather than having an exchange of words and maybe a few fists flying. And you have/had disgraceful parents if they would encourage violence. I guess some people are just not suited to being parents, but then, no qualifications are needed for that, are there. Any idiot can be one.

I wasa  victim of bullying too and when I hit him a few teeth of of his mouth during the rehearsels of a schoolplay, there was no problem only that I cold not play in the schoolplay anymore... And I got a terrific good parents, and my education is excellent, but i dare say if look around in Thailand than most kids aren't even brought up by his/her parents and if so they are very very spoiled ....Many don't have a clue of how to raise kids here.. 

• Thanks 1

This is a rather extreme result, but bullying can be an atrocious thing to endure. Some kids are out of control. I might likely do the same thing, though not nearly as viciously. Bullies do need to be taught a lesson. Not condoning this brutal act. But, it is likely this kid was tormented for a very long time, and just lost it and said enough! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

Bullying in answer to bullying will accomplish nothing.  Who is the bigger bully?

I had a little gang of bullies with a leader who they all followed whilst in Junior school. They wouldn't listen to reason and the school ignored my complaints so I did what needed doing - I resorted to violence.

When I isolated this little jumped up 'leader' of theirs on his own without his little gang and beat the <deleted> out of him I strangely never heard from them again, none of them.

You see, I promised to come back and do it repeatedly should they ever bother me again. I was about 11.

It most certainly worked. The difference here is that we only used fists as our weapons.

Edited by ukrules

17 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I had a little gang of bullies with a leader who they all followed whilst in Junior school. They wouldn't listen to reason and the school ignored my complaints so I did what needed doing - I resorted to violence.

When I isolated this little jumped up 'leader' of theirs on his own without his little gang and beat the <deleted> out of him I strangely never heard from them again, none of them.

You see, I promised to come back and do it repeatedly should they ever bother me again. I was about 11.

It most certainly worked. The difference here is that we only used fists as our weapons.

All of you posting violent answers as "solutions" are in need of some enlightenment.  Some of you are very fortunate that the bullies did not muscle up and wreak revenge in their own way.  There is another answer that is superior, and safer.

Kindness.

Yes, you read that right.

My brothers met up with a bully in school.  They took homemade cookies and gave them to the bully.  The bully knew good and well that he did not deserve such kind treatment, having caused them much distress--and this kind act shocked him.  They took more cookies to the bully the next day.  After this, not only did the bully cease his bullying, but he also stood up for my brothers and defended them against anyone who might dare to cause trouble.  The bully became the protector.

Far better it is to win someone over than to merely scare him or her off.

I imagine that when bullying does occur in Thailand it is very difficult to resolve as the schools here will not do much for fear of upsetting parents or damaging their school reputation. My friend's son had a knife held to his face by an older girl at his new school. The school did nothing and brushed it off saying that the girl comes from a problem family. The school even said to my friends wife (the mother of the kid being bullied) that she was making too big a deal of it and asked her to withdraw her report she'd made to the local police. Absolute disgrace!

Now if this kid was being bullied and was getting zero support from no-one it might explain his actions. We just don't know the full story.

11 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Exactly, always about the compensation.

Like the bird in the news who's just scooped 200K for getting 'touched' up, apparently??

14 hours ago, webfact said:

A friend of the injured boy also got hurt in the right arm after being hit with a chair by the attacker’s friend while moving in to stop the assault. 

Premeditated attack with a weapon brought from home, even had a friend helping...  Sounds like a bit more than a reaction to bullying.  (Although this is Thailand.)

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

This is a rather extreme result, but bullying can be an atrocious thing to endure. Some kids are out of control. I might likely do the same thing, though not nearly as viciously. Bullies do need to be taught a lesson. Not condoning this brutal act. But, it is likely this kid was tormented for a very long time, and just lost it and said enough! 

It comes from the fact that people instinctively do not like people. It manifests itself in the school playground, or earlier, in the form of bullying for no real reason at all. And most people hate someone seating next to them on a bus or train etc. Then there are the holiday companies that promote a place of solitude away from their fellow humans. I doubt that there has ever been a day in many hundreds, maybe thousands, of years without there being a war somewhere. If it's not about land or culture then we invent one over imaginary gods. We're a weird species.

• Like 1