How to raise low stairway headroom?

RamenRaven

9 hours ago, bluejets said:

Real builders work in mm.

Uni students, amateurs and TV shows work in cm.????

You are obviously not based in Thailand.

ALL Thai trade people prefer to work in cm.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2022 at 12:37 PM, RamenRaven said:

1st photo - view of stairs going down to the 1st floor

2nd photo - view of the stairs bending around as it reaches up to the 2nd floor

Stair view.jpg

Stair from 2nd floor.jpg

Poor designer should have known better, solution is to cut into second floor void opening by 2 or 3 steps. ( last pick, where you do a left turn second floor level). Means throwing this stair case and putting in a new one, assuming its in timber. big job if its concrete. 

By cutting the floor back and installing a new stair it will lower and increase head hight in your problem area by about anywhere from 200 to 300 mm....thats around 4 to 8 inches..

Then of course you need to have at least a meter of landing depth on second floor once thats done or you got another problem.

If you dont want a mess and dont want to drop another 100,000 learn to duck, after a few bumps and headaches you wont notice anymore..

In the end you would want to protect your investment and have a structural engineer look at it and design if necessary support for the section your cutting out.

On 10/20/2022 at 11:57 AM, treetops said:

Are you sure?

Well sir i was a builder in my home country, so i know a few things, so moving the stair forward one step will give you a lowering of your rise X1 if moving it forward by 2 steps it will give you a lowering  X2 of your rise.

But you need to have a decent landing to begin with or you will create a new problem, ie that is your second floor that your cutting into. 

You also would be very wise to get a structural engineer to look at what your planning to do he may need to design support for the landing, being concrete floors etc maybe it will be fine then again it may not just depends if its holding anything up other than the stair itself.

If your stair is concrete its not a big deal here and they can handle the demolition easily replace with a timber stair for less time spent on site and mess you also will need to extend the balustrade so its not a small job, costly? not by western standards.

If you decide to do something about this get someone to design this for you (dont use the builder use an engineer) make sure you tell him exactly what your trying to achieve and get it drawn up, you will be able to tell just from the drawing the head height you can achieve. 

The next trick is dont skimp on the trades, go to a decent reputable local building company let them do the entire job, believe me you will be banging your head enough with them, depending where your located plenty of farang builders around, trying to sub contract it all out will put you in an early grave, dont use wifes family or friends under any circumstances or you will end up divorced....good luck.

Ps, if your stair is timber you wont able to use it again, they maybe able to salvage some sections of it thats about it.

15 hours ago, treetops said:

Was the conversion of mm to inches one of these things?

25mm per inch sir, you can work it out...ps they work in CM here....mm in AU and inches in US and UK if things not changed in recent years..

12 hours ago, treetops said:

I did.  You didn't.

200 to 300 mm is not around 4 to 8 inches but you go with it if you want.  Mind your head. ????

Gees your picky, your the fool who bought a place with low head room in the stair when most people would have passed on it....

On 10/24/2022 at 2:45 AM, AlexRRR said:

Gees your picky, your the fool who bought a place with low head room in the stair when most people would have passed on it....

There's not much gets past you is there?  Unfortunately "the fool who bought etc" got past you as well.  It's at the top of each page but I'll put it here for you too.

image.png.8514268feed9cfed3d6fe1b62a52989b.png

Edited by treetops