Antigua and Barbuda to vote on whether to remove British monarch as head of state, PM says

Scott

Prime Minister Gaston Browne explained that the referendum would be a final step to becoming a truly sovereign nation.

(CNN)The prime minister of Antigua and Barbuda said the Caribbean country will hold a referendum on whether to become a republic and remove King Charles III as the head of state within the next few years.

The former British colony gained its independence from the United Kingdom in 1981 but is one of 14 countries in addition to the UK where the British monarch is head of state. It is also a part of the Commonwealth, a 56-member organization of mostly former British territories.
CNN.jpg
  • Thanks 1

I personally think quite a few countries are putting this on their agenda. How many now commonwealth countries are toying with the idea? .... including major players like Australia, Canada and New Zealand and all the rest of the smaller states. The Commonwealth as we know it is finished. Just my humble opinion.

10 hours ago, South said:

I personally think quite a few countries are putting this on their agenda. How many now commonwealth countries are toying with the idea? .... including major players like Australia, Canada and New Zealand and all the rest of the smaller states. The Commonwealth as we know it is finished. Just my humble opinion.

Being a member of the Commonwealth has nothing to do with having the UK sovereign as ones head of state.  Out of the current 56 members, only 15 do so, with some even having their own monarchs (including Malaysia and Brunei).  It isn't even necessary for the UK sovereign to be head of the Commonwealth, though member states voted unanimously back in 2018 for Charles to take on that role once his mother passed away.  The Commonwealth is actually seen as a good thing by many of its member states - which have no obligation to remain members, to the extent that Mozambique and Rwanda, who have no colonial ties with the UK, both applied for, and were granted, membership.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1