Cancelling Work Permit and Visa

Hi,

On Friday I will be leaving Thailand.

My current employer (a government school) will assist me by sending a representative with me to immigration to help me cancel my visa.

According to them this is the only step that needs to happen (from my side at least).

Can anyone tell me what this process looks like? It is important to me to get it right as I plan to return to Thailand.

I was planning to go to immigration on Friday and leave on Friday night (I already have my ticket) but now I would prefer to do this on Thursday and as there are some other things I need to sort out on Friday.

Any advice would be appreciated. Particularly surrounding important documents to keep if I was to work in Thailand again for a new employer.

Thanks for the help!

Hi,

your visa ends the date on the termination letter. And IO will ask you to leave the country in 24 hours. Im not sure if its still possible but you can pay 1900 baht for another 7 days. 

If the date on the letter is before your departure, you may ask the school to help you and change the date on it. Some of them can help if you have really good relationship with them. Or you can pay 1-2 days overstay without a problem. I heard that they dont even bother to charge you if its 1 day overstay. 

For the work permit actually you need to go to the labor office with the letter form the school and again im not sure but with your paid tax documents. BUT most of the times school do the cancellation, if they are not lazy to do so. If no one cancels it, it might cause problems if you want to work again in thailand. I would make it super clear with the school that they will cancel it surely. If you want to play safe just do it yourself. It will take your 10min. 

good luck