Designer clothes: Do you like them, want them, wear them? Why? Or why not?

OneMoreFarang

I was inspired to this by a news article about a Thai laundry which apparently ruined expensive designer clothes.

That could never happen to me because I don't own any designer clothes because I never saw a reason to buy them or to wear them.

Historically I couldn't afford them, so I never even though about buying them. T-shirts from Sukhumvit always did the job for me.

Now I could afford more expensive clothes, but I don't see why I should spend 5 or 10 or 50 times for such "designer" items.

How about you? Do you like designer clothes? Why?

Maybe they are really better, and I am just ignorant, that is entirely possible.

I have no problem spending a couple of thousand THB on decent shoes, i.e. Hush Puppies. I do that because they are comfortable and sturdy. With clothes I just don't see big differences.

c8bfd9e3385932de462da1381610b8a8.jpg

• Thanks 2

I am told by my family if you buy an expensive shirt that lasts a longtime you end up wearing the same shirt frequently..........yep for a longtime ????

If you buy 5 shirts for the same price you wear different shirts and when they wear out you can buy 5 different shirts again 

I guess there's reasoning in that approach ????

They don't pay me for the endorsement, then I don't wear ????

Did like Eddie Bauer stuff, though only if you couldn't tell.  EB on the buttons, or stitched in, same color, so not standing out was OK.

When on sale, not expensive at all for the quality, and still have some items, 25+ yrs on.

38 minutes ago, Seppius said:

Nike must think they hit the jackpot in Thailand sales, everyone seems to wearing Nike shoes.

Except most are knock offs lol

NIKEs are made here***, so yes, good prices at the NIKE outlets, and NOT knock offs.

Why they have good sales, if that's so.  I'll take you word for it.

*** "Thailand for 6% of the Nike shoes that are being produced world wide"

Edited by KhunLA

I'm willing to spend money on good golf clothing. For everyday use, secondhand is all I need. I sometimes get designer brands from a secondhand shop, discarded by someone with more money than sense after one or two outings.

What really amuses me is the designer jeans with arty-farty rips and tears in them, IMO anyone spending money on those is as dumb as a can of soup.

• Like 1

Wealthy people often wear high end clothes just forgo the labels. Also mix and match. The Noveau Riche are annoying. I feel sad for Thais that chase brands, especially cheap ones, low value.

From past life and career I still have some nice Italian and Florsheim shoes. Not easy to stand all day in so I've not worn them to work. Used to love Sperry. One pair 25 years but the soles were gone. Bought a new pair - Chinese junk but still expensive.

Some decent ties bought on sale. I hate cheap ties and looking budget. Going to pub in shorts is fine.

Omega seamster now 20 years on my wrist.

Persol sunglasses. I got a mad discount on. The best, hands down.

I usually buy the best electronics I can afford short of the top end hifi.

Cheapish Nike flipflops, sandals sandals. Gotta have bc of the fit.

Edited by BonMot

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

NIKEs are made here***, so yes, good prices at the NIKE outlets, and NOT knock offs.

Why they have good sales, if that's so.  I'll take you word for it.

*** "Thailand for 6% of the Nike shoes that are being produced world wide"

Just about every market, places like Mikes Mall and Made in Thailand  in Pattaya sell the Nikes knock off for B700/800, they are by far the most common copy brand

31 minutes ago, Seppius said:

Just about every market, places like Mikes Mall and Made in Thailand  in Pattaya sell the Nikes knock off for B700/800, they are by far the most common copy brand

If that's where you shop .... nuff said.

Want NIKEs, got to a NIKE outlet ... ????

knock off markets/vendors sell knock offs

Edited by KhunLA

I buy high end jeans and shirts second hand on ebay. A $270 pair of Adriana Goldschmeid jeans costs $30. Like new. You can feel the difference. Great fabric. Worn a few times. I buy Arnold Zimberg shirts which cost $200-$250 new for $25-40. Also like new. No signs of wear, at all. 

I have also bought Hugo Boss suits. $900 new. $75 on ebay. Like new. Second hand clothes are worth very little. Great stuff. Why pay full price for anything? 

In the US I buy from outlets. 50% off, or more if you time the sales. My wife buys Coach bags for 30% of retail there. Why pay retail, if you don't have to? 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I'm willing to spend money on good golf clothing. For everyday use, secondhand is all I need. I sometimes get designer brands from a secondhand shop, discarded by someone with more money than sense after one or two outings.

What really amuses me is the designer jeans with arty-farty rips and tears in them, IMO anyone spending money on those is as dumb as a can of soup.

That reminds me of one woman in my building. She was walking in front of me and I saw money in her ripped back pocket. And because I am a nice guy I tried to tell her that she should be careful, that money might fall out of that pocket.

It seems she didn't understand the thing with the money, but she understood it was about her jeans. And she proudly told me those were Versacchi jeans. I guess she didn't care about the money... 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

If that's where you shop .... nuff said.

Want NIKEs, got to a NIKE outlet ... ????

knock off markets/vendors sell knock offs

My gf is a fan or Nike shoes. We buy them maybe once a year when there is 50% discount in Robinson or so. She wears them because they are very comfortable. That's for me reason enough to spend the money. And at least for her she doesn't care if it is the newest model. A nice pair from last year's fashion are fine.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That reminds me of one woman in my building. She was walking in front of me and I saw money in her ripped back pocket. And because I am a nice guy I tried to tell her that she should be careful, that money might fall out of that pocket.

It seems she didn't understand the thing with the money, but she understood it was about her jeans. And she proudly told me those were Versacchi jeans. I guess she didn't care about the money... 

Jeans are jeans, designer jeans are verging on an oxymoron. The best pair I ever had were not designer, made with double thickness twill at the front, for durability with work such as herding sheep or chainsawing firewood.

I don't give a fig for fashion, comfortable, value for money, and long-lasting is what I look for.

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

My gf is a fan or Nike shoes. We buy them maybe once a year when there is 50% discount in Robinson or so. She wears them because they are very comfortable. That's for me reason enough to spend the money. And at least for her she doesn't care if it is the newest model. A nice pair from last year's fashion are fine.

In the future, use this site to whittle down your choices.  More review per shoe the better of course.  

https://runrepeat.com/catalog/nike-running-shoes

I got a list of 5ish top rated ones, and the outlet (Impact Arena area), had 2 of those, and 1 that actually fit (US12/wide).  Had them for years, and great price.

11 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

In the future, use this site to whittle down your choices.  More review per shoe the better of course.  

https://runrepeat.com/catalog/nike-running-shoes

I got a list of 5ish top rated ones, and the outlet (Impact Arena area), had 2 of those, and 1 that actually fit (US12/wide).  Had them for years, and great price.

Thanks. If I would buy them for myself then possibly I would look at reviews.

But when my gf decides which shoes to buy then that is a question of how much pink and other such sophisticated criteria. ???? 

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

I used to buy designer clothes for work as I wore suits & all the accoutrements that came with them.... It's basically an expensive trap....

Now, it's mostly a good collection of Nike golf shirts & 3/4 length pants for comfort coupled with Reef flip flops....I don't consider any of that "designer".....I do have about 20 shirts I had made here that are nicely original that I sometimes wear....

I do keep a nice suit & some slacks & sport coats along with a tux - they basically waste closet space....

So, basically my answer is no.....That "designer" stuff is for the easily swayed.....

My wife is well stocked on Coach & Michael Kors handbags + a few other mid line brands & perfumes - Levi's, etc. from our travels....

She never asks for anything, so it's a small indulgence that makes her feel good.....

• Like 1

Sitting around the house most days I will wear shorts and knock off football shirts or similar material shirts . Rest of clothes are high street available designers mostly.

I have a wardrobe full of Ralph Lauren polo shirts and Lacoste but find them slightly warm to wear when temperatures are high so don’t wear them much . T-shirts are £20-£100 and vary from nike to Armani/ Versace /boss/Lacoste. Jeans are Levi /Calvin Klein/Armani/boss and vary from £60-£200.

When I see something I like I will usually buy it but here I can’t ever seem to find t-shirts in designer shops that fit , jeans sometimes have size I want but I don’t buy them that often . In the end I usually get friends to bring me out clothes from uk as price will be better and size will fit .

If you are willing to pay more then you are paying for quality of materials and manufacturer usually. The jeans I have that are over £100 are far comfier than the Levi’s as material is softer and stitching when sitting down doesn’t seem to pull at you all the time . Although in some jeans this can be a problem as the jeans can wear quickly in certain areas as material is so soft .

T-shirts are far better as they have a fitted feel and look and material is far better quality and usually great when it’s hot as don’t feel like you are sweating much .

Boxer shorts are also far comfier and last way beyond cheaper ones and the fit is perfect. 
As for high end fashion and brands around now I wouldn’t buy them unless won the lottery as the prices are insane . A plain t-shirt with celine or balenciaga written on the front in small letters is £4-600 and if you bought a decent copy for say £25 here then who is going to know the difference unless they know a bit about clothes or basically take the shirt of your back to examine it.

Get what you pay for I guess with designer clothes but obviously a lot is overhyped branding and average quality clothes at mental prices.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1