Copy and paste

overherebc

35 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Windows 10 doesnt come with excel and word so it it seems I have to pay if I want them. Before I could copy to word then alter as I wanted.

Can't do that on 10.

Google docs and google sheets are the way forward. I used word for decades, i even used to work for Microsoft. i havent had office on my laptop for 2 years now. its completely unnecessary for most folk 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, n00dle said:

Google docs and google sheets are the way forward. I used word for decades, i even used to work for Microsoft. i havent had office on my laptop for 2 years now. its completely unnecessary for most folk 

are the files completely compatible, docs and Sheets?

12 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

are the files completely compatible, docs and Sheets?

For the most part yes. 

Word and Excel have some complex functionality that you wont find in sheets or docs, but if you are operating at that level, you likely have access to office already.  

You're lost.

Ctrl C, Ctrl V is a universal Windows command.

Try it with a . txt file

Probably some issue with metadata in background. You cant copy X to a Y parameter.

Copy the data to a text file and then from the text file copy it to wherever you want and see if that works

Edited by BonMot

1 hour ago, n00dle said:

Absolutely agree! Wouldn't like to ever be without Google docs & sheets.

1 hour ago, kokesaat said:

Google docs is free.  Same same Word/Excel, but your documents are in the cloud for you anywhere you are.  

It's come a long way but Google is a pale shadow of Word and Excel.

Cloud is highly overrated. Desktop app functions everywhere without *tHe cLoUd*

• Like 1

LibreOffice is nearly a drop-in replacement for Microsoft Office these days.  LibreOffice, for free and on any platform (Linux, Mac, Windows), has spreadsheets, word processor, presentation, etc., and it can import your old MS Office files.

You can download it from here: https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download-libreoffice/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, overherebc said:

Windows 10 doesnt come with excel and word so it it seems I have to pay if I want them. Before I could copy to word then alter as I wanted.

Can't do that on 10.

Copy and paste exists in Windows since at least version 3.0 (about 1990). It is included in Windows and does not need ANY other software.

There are several keyboard shortcuts and often right mouse click options.

I am sure there are many videos about that on YouTube.

Personally, I still use mostly combinations of Shift and Ctrl and Ins and Del from Windows 3.0. Much faster to use than Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V. And it still works in Windows 11 and any other Windows version.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

LibreOffice is nearly a drop-in replacement for Microsoft Office these days.  LibreOffice, for free and on any platform (Linux, Mac, Windows), has spreadsheets, word processor, presentation, etc., and it can import your old MS Office files.

You can download it from here: https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download-libreoffice/

When I needed to convert .docx to .pdf in order to upload to certain websites I always thought I needed Adobe Acrobat. However, I recently found out the 'Export As' function of Libre Office does this too. A great free Office suite!

• Thumbs Up 1

For those who want to use MS Office products like Word and Excel but not pay, there is a simplified online version of Microsoft Office that's free.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/free-office-online-for-the-web

But short of that, Windows 10 still has two free and basic text editors included in the Win 10 install called WordPad and Notepad, both listed in the "Windows Accessories" folder. WordPad is kind of like a "light" version of MS Word.

Screenshot_3.jpg.bbc538d5353c36b87e906b1dd8b0da31.jpg

Allows you to create, open, save and print files locally on your PC. And use the standard Windows commands....

Highlight the desired text and Ctrl-C to copy...then...

Place the cursor where you want the text to go, and hit Ctrl-V to paste.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

When I needed to convert .docx to .pdf in order to upload to certain websites I always thought I needed Adobe Acrobat. However, I recently found out the 'Export As' function of Libre Office does this too. A great free Office suite!

It is and a big upgrade recently I'd read. My gripe is the interface. I think office 2000 looked better. It's got no polish and puts me off.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

WordPad is kind of like a "light" version of MS Word.

Extremely light. Docs can only be saved as rtf or text as well I recall.

Up until few years ago it was easy enough to get ms office on the sly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BonMot said:

Malware

Insidious and almost impossible to get off your computer.

No idea where you come up with that ????  Using it since 2001 back then was called Kingswood Office 

classed as one of the best  followed closely by  LibreOffice

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/wps_office.html

https://filehippo.com/search/?q=WPS+Office

• Thanks 1