What are your greatest concerns living in Thailand over the next years?

KIngsofisaan

13 hours ago, Red Forever said:

the guy has been gone for 14 yrs. Get over it. 

He was in power 8 years ago through his proxy so you're not quite right there.  And this also highlights the threat.

13 hours ago, Red Forever said:

The lives of farang living here in Thaksin's days were not really adversely affected

Some foreigners actually care about more than just themselves.

• Thumbs Up 2

22 hours ago, KIngsofisaan said:

What are your greatest concerns living in Thailand over the next 1, 5, 10 and 20 years?

Currency exchange?

VISA's?

Health and Medical?

Air Pollution?

Flooding?

Running out of Money?

Country changing attitude towards expats for the worse?

Asia War - China/Taiwan?

Cost of gas, electric, food continuing to increase?

How do you think the country itself will change in those timelines?

If you had to do it all over again starting in 2022, would you sell everything you owned in your own country to move to Thailand forever?

I would not be too worried about most of that list.  My bigger concern is that Thailand will continue to become increasingly chummy with the USA, because Thailand's leadership is weak on independent thinking and could end up becoming essentially a vassal state of America.  If so, it's Big Brother overlording us all for sure.

21 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Possibly Thaksin coming back and/or another Shinawatra in charge.

Then I would almost bet history would repeat itself - in many ways, all bad.

I see Thaksin as being perhaps the most misrepresented and maligned Thai politician of all time.  Yingluk was not far behind.  Her brother, though, was more capable, and the Thai economy flourished during his time in office.  That is a matter of record that even Thaksin's opponents will generally admit.  He was an excellent businessman, and it was precisely because of his popularity and success that he was forced out--too intimidating for certain others.  Thailand has a track record of this, known to anyone who has studied Thai history: political prisoners have been common. 

Someday the truth will come out, but I doubt Thaksin will live to see that day.  I just hope he is soon allowed to return, without being troubled, to his beloved homeland.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

I would not be too worried about most of that list.  My bigger concern is that Thailand will continue to become increasingly chummy with the USA, because Thailand's leadership is weak on independent thinking and could end up becoming essentially a vassal state of America.  If so, it's Big Brother overlording us all for sure.

I see Thaksin as being perhaps the most misrepresented and maligned Thai politician of all time.  Yingluk was not far behind.  Her brother, though, was more capable, and the Thai economy flourished during his time in office.  That is a matter of record that even Thaksin's opponents will generally admit.  He was an excellent businessman, and it was precisely because of his popularity and success that he was forced out--too intimidating for certain others.  Thailand has a track record of this, known to anyone who has studied Thai history: political prisoners have been common. 

Someday the truth will come out, but I doubt Thaksin will live to see that day.  I just hope he is soon allowed to return, without being troubled, to his beloved homeland.

He was free to come back and serve his 2 years.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

America has little interest or even much spare change left to continue fruitless manipulation around the globe, it's almost always failed and cost trillions. 

Alliances are now more important, and giving them the tools to do the job, for example aid to UKRAINE rather than interference, allowing Japan to significantly beef up its home defences.

Infrastructure at home needs attention, and China's golden age has passed thanks to its own paranoia and mismanaged system of existence. That means a vast additional cost as US re industrialization occurs, and dependence on China wanes. 

For US to "overlord" Thailand, it would need an Afghan style presence here, which is borderline science fiction. 

China has ceased to be a meaningful threat here, and in any case, Thai nationalism and a deep hatred of Communism run deep.

Although paradoxically, CCP have already manipulated Thai opinion as masterfully as Putin has trolled the US into a state of political chaos. 

Edited by chalawaan

2 hours ago, SmokeandIce said:

Please be aware that for Chaeng Wattana and most other immigration offices in Thailand, you can not use the THB 65,000 monthly transfer to have a Non O issued.  Immigration only has 2 options : THB 800,000 in a Thai bank or a letter from your Embassy which most no longer do.

You can use the monthly THB 65,000 for a one year extension but not to have a 3 month Non O

Yes, certainly differing offices and “work around” vary in different offices.

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Good points. After looking around and traveling a bit last year, I still have not been able to find an alternative. None that appealing. If money was not an issue, that might be different. Thailand is great for many of us on limited incomes, who are not wealthy. I love my life here. I live a life I could only dream about in most other countries. 

What's your opinion of the budget needed to make one part of "Thailand is great for those of us on a limited income" set?

Asking because always respect your posts.

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Losing my virility as I age. It would be such a shame to not be able to take advantage of all the lush dessert on offer here. 

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Well, the dollar is certainly strong at this time. I love seeing the baht dropping against it! 

As far as Biden goes, he is an improvement over his sorry predecessor. Not necessarily saying much. But, it is something. 

Biden isn't an improvement over anything and his press security is a complete idiot.

You should stop the personal hating and concentrate on the job

The US is worse than it has ever been and if you do not know that, I feel sorry for you

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

I would alter that slightly to: "Country continuing to change attitude towards expats and becoming even worse than it already has."

What is so horrible here?

I don't notice any hostility from anybody.

Every country has regulations and many of us think regulations against foreigners should be stronger in our home countries. But the same people think regulations against foreigners, us, in Thailand are too strong.

But maybe this is not about regulations.

What is it what you think is bad and might get worse? Do you want to elaborate?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

I hope he dies in the desert. Alone.

He was and is a criminal. And even if he did some good things that doesn't change that fact.

And he divided Thais like nobody before him and since him.

And any new clone of him would likely continue with that.

Let's say it again: I hope he dies in the desert. Then we can all try to forget about that sad part of Thai history. 

• Like 2

Aliens from the citadel of the Middle Kingdom. 

I am not talking about the Lao Bai Xing! 

The Lao Bai Xing are our friends. 

But I worry most about the dried up old men in the citadel of the Middle Kingdom, and the power they wield. 

Basically, we just wish to be left alone here, and left to flourish in our own way with no foreign influence, to speak of. 

Hope things will continue to proceed swimmingly. 

Edited by GammaGlobulin

On 9/15/2022 at 3:28 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Possibly Thaksin coming back and/or another Shinawatra in charge.

Then I would almost bet history would repeat itself - in many ways, all bad.

Thaksin was great for the economy. Everyone was making money. I had friends in investment banking in Thailand at the time who said it was the best period for a long time. And the poorer folks sure liked him because he set up schemes that helped them to make money. I no longer live in Thailand but I was there before, through and after the Thaksin period and economically there were good times.

55 minutes ago, mstevens said:

Thaksin was great for the economy. Everyone was making money. I had friends in investment banking in Thailand at the time who said it was the best period for a long time. And the poorer folks sure liked him because he set up schemes that helped them to make money. I no longer live in Thailand but I was there before, through and after the Thaksin period and economically there were good times.

In our area of Isaan, they still love Thaksin.

18 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

people are just here for issues of cost and often have no idea of what being in another culture means... 

This has been true for a very long time. Protoglobalnomads. The teachers at my work are completely clueless about Thai culture. Few if any venture outside of BKK. Maybe a trip to Phuket or CM let alone neighboring countries, Indonesia or India. Life in a bubble.

People slagging Taksin I wonder how many were here during that period? Economy was far, far better. Since then it's just been a series of perpetual economic blunders one atop another since forever. Taksin fell out with the big guy. That was real6his problem.

As for USA the nation is finished and Bidens spending bills and illegal immigration will mark this catastrophic event + woke culture. All the morons with Trump Derangement Syndrome. Pure deflection. There is absolutely nothing better about the US now than under Trump although I'm not arguing Trump is not a clown, the economy was great, spending was in check or the nation on the right path. When the country goes into the toilet you lose your pensions and assets assuming liberals have any... so go ahead ... keep voting Dem lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

I think the list your not worried about is far more valid than Thailand ever becoming a  "vassal state of America"

Thailand is & always will be "chummy" with anyone they think they can get a check from but,

#1 if America wanted it they would have taken it period long ago or installed a puppet regime

#2 Nobody including the USA actually wants Thailand for anything more than what it always was "a recreational stop" Same as during the Vietnam war

#3 Thailand would never be a vassal to the US as it has no inherent value but has tons of liabilities

Take somewhere like Hawaii with its Pearl Harbor for refueling large ships & aircraft to cross the pacific & you have something worth taking & they did.

Take Thailand & what do you have? Liabilities period

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Yes, I think you are right in many ways... I used to think that anyone would be happier here, but now I am not sure... though I can't think of any place I would rather be or that would be better. For me. 

I have been here a long time and first here in 1974... back when people actually did enjoy exploring the exotic culture... I think these days many people are just here for issues of cost and often have no idea of what being in another culture means... 

And if you are going to be heading into the dementia years, often a very slow process, the affect of being in a different culture may not be the best place to be... 

I agree with you that Thailand is the best place to be, and I have already tried a few places and cultures. 

Strangely enough, although one sometimes becomes frustrated with life, as is only natural, I have never become frustrated with life in Thailand. 

I always, in my demented mind, compare the many places I have been, with my life in Thailand. And, by comparison, life in Thailand always comes out Way Ahead. 

My comparison is totally unrelated to money or material things. 

If I had to leave Thailand before I were ready, then I think I should surely die. 

As to the question of dementia, dementia is just another state of mind. 

Here in Asia, dementia often goes undiagnosed. 

Therefore, speaking just for myself, I would prefer to enjoy my dementia, undiagnosed in Thailand, rather than to be diagnosed in the West, and imprisoned in some industrial-based nursing home. 

If there ever comes a day, God forbid, when, due to dementia, I cannot find my way home, then I just hope I will die alone in the jungle, like Thompson, or in a rice field, sort of like an Inuit grandmother with no teeth... Alone on a slab of ice, just floating and bobbing in the waves, waiting to be eaten by the Polar Bear. 

If there ever comes a day when I can't find my way home... then... 

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BonMot said:

As for USA the nation is finished and Bidens spending bills and illegal immigration will mark this catastrophic event + woke culture. All the morons with Trump Derangement Syndrome. Pure deflection. There is absolutely nothing better about the US now than under Trump although I'm not arguing Trump is not a clown, the economy was great, spending was in check or the nation on the right path.

The economy was great?

Even before Covid, the economy under 45 was in the bottom 30% (in terms of GDP) since the end of WWII. After Covid hit, it fell into the bottom quartile. It was also worse than under Obama, the POTUS who inherited a financial system days away from collapse (because of the 2008 Financial Crisis. 45 inherited low UE (4.8%) and a growing economy. He left Biden rising UE (6.8%) and a Recession.

Spending was in check?

Oh my! The National Debt was $19.6 trillion when 45 took over, a debt built up over two and a half centuries. When 45 lost and left, Nat Debt was $26.8 trillion, a 37% increase in just 4 years. 45, along with the repubs, was doing to the US what 45 did to his companies. Under Biden, the yearly deficit fell by $350 billion in FY2021 and will fall by $1.7 trillion in FY2022. Plus, Biden's spending bill will actually do something useful: rebuild infrastructure, rather than just put tax cut money into the hands of the Donor Class.

I guess---in bringing this back to the OP---if I had a concern it is that too many of the delusionists who think 45 was anything more than a self-serving, willfully ignorant, woefully insecure Narcissistic bozo whose greatest desire was to make the US an autocracy with him installed as dictator for life, come to Thailand.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Richard 2020 said:

I came to Thailand when I was 39 years old, that was 32 years ago now!

Of course things have changed, like everywhere in the world!

But here it has kept within narrow limits!

I would know at once no better place, for me!

I have my choice, in any case not regretted ... Until today!

Yes, your key observation is that social change, here, has been constrained more than in some other countries and cultures. 

Rampant unbridled change is always stressful, and not always beneficial. 

In terms of Biology, and adaptation of any organism, and as Darwin might tell you, rapid change always leads to extinction. 

You made your choice. 

You were lucky. 

This is called survival of the fittest. 

May you live long enough to procreate just one more time, because you obviously have the superior intelligence to choose Thailand. 

Hopefully, you will find just one more opportunity to pass along your good genes to the next generation. 

Just think about it... 

Of all the billions of humans on Earth, you were one of the very few, prescient enough, to choose Thailand to ride out the troubled times ahead. 

Thankfully, as well, judging by recent rains, not to mention scientific prognostications for the next two decades, it's very unlikely that we shall lack for water. And, if we have water, then we will have rice, too. 

Relatively low, and stable, population density means that here we are living in the land of plenty. 

Truly we are blessed! 

Is it any surprise to you that this land is the Land of Smiles? 

However, be wary, because there will always be some foreign flies who will inevitably seek to undermine our happiness here through naysaying and negativity. 

Thailand is probably the closest thing you will ever find to Heaven on Earth. 

Yet, Heaven is not for everybody. 

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Screaming said:

I just installed a 4K front and rear dash cam on my Nissan Teana today. I am very fearful of the crazy motorbike drivers in Thailand. Sounds silly of course, but it is insane how people in Thailand drive.

So you have to take your eyes off the road to look at a tv screen in order to drive safely? Hmm.........

4 hours ago, mstevens said:

And would you like to repeat history?

thailand02_wide-0382ddb22bd17e8311c06342

• Like 1