Pound exchange out of date soon

11 hours ago, Epicurus said:

I have some English pounds which are becoming obsolete at the end of this month.

Only the £20 and £50 paper notes will be withdrawn from circulation at the end of the month. Any other denominations were withdrawn some time ago and can only be exchanged at a UK bank.

Internationally exchangers are only obliged to exchange the latest version of a banknote so the ability to exchange in Thailand disappeared a long time ago.

Only viable option is to sell to someone returning to the UK.

• Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Any friend returning to the UK should exchange them 1:1. All UK banks in the UK will swap them when they return. No time limit as previously indicated.

UK Banks will generally only take currency if you have an account with them. Even if it's current notes, by the way. (Money Laundering regulations) So a returning Brit would probably be able to help but a visiting tourist probably wouldn't.

there are some people walking around sometimes around exchange offices. Especially when they are close. They might take it.

try airport too. taxi or tuk tuks also might work

one of my friend told some people around him that he is lazy and sick to go and exchange the money if they take it he will give them little bit lower exchange rate then the real rate. They accepted so he got rid of them. Dont know hat happened next, but probably they found out that they cannot get them to the bank.. hehe

1 hour ago, Joe Farang said:

Are all UK paper notes being discontinued

UK paper notes have been phased out in favour of Polymer, a growing trend.

When I first came here in 1999 the 50 baht note was polymer but it wasn't popular and witdrawn from circulation in 2011 with a paper note being introduced.

Earlier this year the 20 baht note was issued as a polymer note.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Epicurus said:

Chiangmai. About 8000 pounds.

Are you serious? You missed the boat with Superich who were accepting until end of last month if memory serves me.

I would not want to hand carry this large amount to the UK. UK banks may cause a problem ( but usually for £10,000 or more)

I am travlling back to the UK with Ethiopian Airlines and there are reports of money being taken from hand carried bags (security distracting passengers while the bag goes through xray machine) and also bags being taken off boarding passengers and placed into the hold- with a quick rummage around by the ground staff.

Good luck getting your monies worth.

On 9/17/2022 at 8:14 AM, PETERTHEEATER said:

Shoot! I missed this. I sent all my notes to a helpful Nigerian Prince already and should get the new Charlie 3 replacements tomorrow.......

Oh about that Peter if you could just send us your bank details we will get those Charles 3rd dollars sent to you.

Its the £50 note that is going at the end of this month I have £600 worth with a few pen marks on been trying to change them or pay them into my bank here for a year with no luck now no other choice than to take them back to the UK at some stage in the future ????