Plastic thingy off the bottom due to flood, engine exposed, will there be problems?

Same thing happened to me so I am ordering a new one off of Lazada. 700 to 1500 baht depending on the make. Will take that and have my repair guy put it on. He is booked up for a couple of weeks due to flood damage. Car is a 7 year old Vios.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

54 minutes ago, marin said:

Same thing happened to me so I am ordering a new one off of Lazada. 700 to 1500 baht depending on the make. Will take that and have my repair guy put it on. He is booked up for a couple of weeks due to flood damage. Car is a 7 year old Vios.

So ull still be driving without the cover for weeks? 

Will there be problems when stuff gets inside the gap? 

It is called a wheel well liner.

as long as you are driving on paved roads, the risk should be low. If you are on gravel or unpaved roads or like to do donuts in parking lots, you risk throwing rocks and loose road junk into the radiator, hoses, or belts which might cause damage.  So take it easy and stay on paved areas and don’t drive fast where there is gravel and bits on the road.

• Love It 1

6 minutes ago, degrub said:

as long as you are driving on paved roads, the risk should be low. If you are on gravel or unpaved roads or like to do donuts in parking lots, you risk throwing rocks and loose road junk into the radiator, hoses, or belts which might cause damage.  So take it easy and stay on paved areas and don’t drive fast where there is gravel and bits on the road.

How bout when driving under flooded condition? Lots of plastic bags, debris dog poo floating around and can get in the gap wo wheel well liner.  Is there any reco? As I gotta use this car everyday to get to work... 25km one way

It stops all the stuff you don't want chucked up there, plus it may have an effect on air flow under the hood.

It is put there by the manufacturer, usually for a good reason.

If me, I would source one, as has been said, have a look on Lazada..????

Mine flooded last week, mud everywhere and a foot of water in the wells, front and back. Took it to my local cleaning place and they stripped it all out to dry it,  it has taken 6 days to dry it out and inspect it all and put it back together, but they appear to have done an excellent job. Driverable now but I will take it into Toyota this weekend to have all the oils and filters changed and the underside re greased.  Probably not needed,  but a good precaution to take. 

3 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

Mine flooded last week, mud everywhere and a foot of water in the wells, front and back. Took it to my local cleaning place and they stripped it all out to dry it,  it has taken 6 days to dry it out and inspect it all and put it back together, but they appear to have done an excellent job. Driverable now but I will take it into Toyota this weekend to have all the oils and filters changed and the underside re greased.  Probably not needed,  but a good precaution to take. 

Pull the oil dipstick and look for “cream”. Also the oil filler cap, if it has one, on the valve cover.  If the oil has a lot of brown cream, get it changed asap and maybe don’t run it. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, villageidiotY2K said:

So ull still be driving without the cover for weeks? 

Will there be problems when stuff gets inside the gap? 

Mine is still there but torn up. I have it wired to the frame of the car to keep it from falling off or dragging on the road. Wednesday next week I put it in the shop. Wont drive much till then and for sure wont drive in the rain.

35 minutes ago, degrub said:

Well from my research looking for a replacement I came across this.

What is engine splash shield?

Image result for engine splash shield

The engine splash shield, also known as the skid plate, lower engine cover, or engine splash guard, is a panel located underneath your vehicle's engine to protect it from debris on the road.

That comes into play when you are driving over curbs and parking bollards ???? or demonstrating 4wd techniques in criks. 

mostly it protects the oil pan from fixed obstructions , hence “skid plate” , and larger hard debris. 

36 minutes ago, degrub said:

Pull the oil dipstick and look for “cream”. Also the oil filler cap, if it has one, on the valve cover.  If the oil has a lot of brown cream, get it changed asap and maybe don’t run it. 

A good idea that I hadn't thought of, thank you. I am due to collect it today so that is the first action I will take. 

On 9/17/2022 at 5:36 AM, villageidiotY2K said:

How bout when driving under flooded condition? Lots of plastic bags, debris dog poo floating around and can get in the gap wo wheel well liner.  Is there any reco? As I gotta use this car everyday to get to work... 25km one way

That's not dog poo.