Passport renewal

harry94

I have contacted the Trendy building in Bangkok for an appointment regarding passport renewal .

Tomorrow i will visit Siam commecial Bank to see if they can provide me with a bank statement with my Thai address in english . If i am succesful do i need to provide face recognition ?  will my Thai driving licence photo be ok ? Thank you .

5 minutes ago, harry94 said:

Sorry i am from the Uk.

Your existing passport is photo ID... 

Your Thai Driving Licence will have your Address in both Thai and English (on the back). 

Expect a ‘long wait’ for your renewal passport (i.e. 12 weeks or more according to reports). You will keep your existing passport in hand, but theoretically are not supposed to travel with it. 

Edited by richard_smith237

6 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Passport for what country?

For my US I mailed in the form, pics, payment, self addressed prepaid envelope, & old passport = received the new one in 11 days...

Guess I need to check my PO Box, as also just mailed mine in last week.  Last time, an impressive, just shy of 2 week turn around.   Site stated 4ish weeks, which I doubted would take that long.  11 days in impressive.

THANKS

Good luck to the OP 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, harry94 said:

regarding passport renewal .

Tomorrow i will visit Siam commecial Bank to see if they can provide me with a bank statement with my Thai address in english . If i am succesful do i need to provide face recognition ?  will my Thai driving licence photo be ok ?

Here's all the requirements...

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1093079/OS_Guidance_G2_07.22.pdf

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

On 9/18/2022 at 11:53 AM, KhunLA said:

Guess I need to check my PO Box, as also just mailed mine in last week.  Last time, an impressive, just shy of 2 week turn around.   Site stated 4ish weeks, which I doubted would take that long.  11 days in impressive.

THANKS

Good luck to the OP 

For the Yanks, mailed late afternoon on the 5th Sept, got email stating packed and awaiting ThaiPost to pick up at Embassy.  If it gets here Monday, then 3 week turn around.

Impressive

On 9/23/2022 at 4:03 PM, KhunLA said:

That was quick PP in hand...nice

6 weeks to spare till ext. time / old PP expired.

I would like to thank @pgrahmm and you for your contributions to this thread - in which I think that you have both clearly illustrated for the benefit of what few of my fellow countrymen might still be skipping up and down their sois in a state of unbridled excitement fulsomely singing the praises to the very highest heavens of current British passport renewal procedures from Thailand as being the very best thing since sliced bread, just how really <deleted> they are when compared to the vastly superior and far more efficient American system.

I gather that the main reason why you Americans receive your new passports over a much shorter timeframe than do we Brits is that the State Department prioritises renewal applications submitted by expats over domestic applicants. Unfortunately quite the reverse is the case for us Brits, thanks to their counterparts in the form of those masters of bungling incompetence and ineptitude now known as His Majesty's Passport Office, who clearly regard us Brits living in LOS as inferior second-class citizens when compared to our countrymen living back in Blighty.

Edited by OJAS
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/24/2022 at 11:32 AM, OJAS said:

Unfortunately quite the reverse is the case for us Brits, thanks to their counterparts in the form of those masters of bungling incompetence and ineptitude now known as His Majesty's Passport Office, who clearly regard us Brits living in LOS as inferior second-class citizens when compared to our countrymen living back in Blighty.

If it is any comfort I can assure you that we UK-based Brits are treated with equal contempt by HM Passport Office. 

A friend of mine - who lives in London - recently had to renew his passport. He was advised that doing so by post would take, at least, 13 weeks (no guarantees). He ended up renewing it in person 8 weeks later (the earliest available appointment). Not great but not so bad you might say ....however, his appointment was not in London (not possible; no appointments offered) but Newport. I think that he paid close to £200 before expenses for this "service".

My passport is not due for renewal until late 2025. Maybe they might have sorted out things by then????????????

(As usual, bolding unintended)

Edited by RayC
Clarity

23 hours ago, RayC said:

If it is any comfort I can assure you that we UK-based Brits are treated with equal contempt by HM Passport Office. 

A friend of mine - who lives in London - recently had to renew his passport. He was advised that doing so by post would take, at least, 13 weeks (no guarantees). He ended up renewing it in person 8 weeks later (the earliest available appointment). Not great but not so bad you might say ....however, his appointment was not in London (not possible; no appointments offered) but Newport. I think that he paid close to £200 before expenses for this "service".

My passport is not due for renewal until late 2025. Maybe they might have sorted out things by then????????????

(As usual, bolding unintended)

But at least it was presumably possible for your pal to get to Newport from Paddington by train in just under 2 hours if the current GWR timetable is to be believed (assuming that rail was, of course, his mode of transport)! The distance between London and Newport is, I think, roughly the same as that between Rayong (where I live) and Bangkok, a journey which I'll be forced to make much against my will on 18 October in order to set the ball rolling on my passport renewal. And definitely no luxury of a high-speed rail link between Rayong and Bangkok, unfortunately.☹️ Instead an uncomfortable road trip taking at least 5 hours each way will be the strict order of the day. ????

That all said, though, I quite take your point about the omnipresence of HMPO's bungling incompetence and ineptitude!

Edited by OJAS

Just had an email from Trendy that my passport is there for collection.

So, email from Trendy on 29th June telling me my paperwork had been sent off to the UK, email today that it is ready for collection on 4th October, about 14 weeks, 15 weeks overall.

Agent just emailed me that they are picking it up tomorrow, then they will send it to me by EMS post......????

Just hope the post is no problem....???? 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, transam said:

Just had an email from Trendy that my passport is there for collection.

So, email from Trendy on 29th June telling me my paperwork had been sent off to the UK, email today that it is ready for collection on 4th October, about 14 weeks, 15 weeks overall.

Agent just emailed me that they are picking it up tomorrow, then they will send it to me by EMS post......????

Just hope the post is no problem....???? 

So much for the recent 11 weeks stated.

12 minutes ago, transam said:

Yes, even the UK passport website is still quoting 10 weeks, it seems the waiting times is getting longer, not shorter...????

Theres a couple of us recently submitted, maybe , just maybe, with applications after the summer rush it might be slightly better but I aint holding my breath. 

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

Theres a couple of us recently submitted, maybe , just maybe, with applications after the summer rush it might be slightly better but I aint holding my breath. 

As I understand it, folk renewing from a foreign country are dealt with by a specific office, so perhaps there is no summer rush for them. Waiting times for these folk is longer than UK residence renewals.

1 hour ago, elwood said:

Received my passport yesterday, just over 14 weeks since application approved.

Many thanks to Paul Aslett and Thai Visa Express Pattaya, did a first-rate  job.

Mine came EMS yesterday too.....????

• Thumbs Up 1