Snake repellent

Hi all I'm looking for best advice to repel snakes ie king cobra. I've came across 3 babies  now in just 2 days. Size around 15inch to 24inch so I know theres a nest near by and it must be very very close to my house. Sprayed with vinegar as heard it helps  and already have lemongrass. So any other ideas would be welcome. This is the first time as seen cobras had a few vipers and keelbacks in the past.  But they left me alone and I left them alone this time the cobra was ot my door head high and neck out spitting at my cat lucky we had door closed. Thank in advance for any advice

Swap the cat for a Mongoose?????

Sorry but nothing much will deter a snake apart from a lot of human activity, which will frighten them off.  They don't like disturbances.

I keep pet non-venomous snakes and they don't care about lemon grass or other stuff.

We had a few cobra in the garden over the years.  If you leave them alone they move on quickly. 

I did have one rear up at the door like yours did.  It actually got driven away by sparrows and other birds mobbing it and dive boning it's head. 

The best advice to minimise snakes being around your property is to keep grass short, have no places for them to hide or rest (no piles of junk or garden waste etc, so keep everything minimal and tidy with no low busy plants. 

King cobra feed on other snakes...others cobra species...so a good clean up, making sure there are no rats about to attract the other snakes, will mean there is no food to attract the king cobra.   So do not have car food, or other stuff rats will eat, left out.

On a side note, if you do have king cobra babies they will quickly disperse away from your place, as they do not tolerate living in the same territory.  Also having a king cobra about will mean you won't have any 'normal' cobra or dangerous snakes about...they will be eaten!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Swap the cat for a Mongoose?????

Sorry but nothing much will deter a snake apart from a lot of human activity, which will frighten them off.  They don't like disturbances.

I keep pet non-venomous snakes and they don't care about lemon grass or other stuff.

We had a few cobra in the garden over the years.  If you leave them alone they move on quickly. 

I did have one rear up at the door like yours did.  It actually got driven away by sparrows and other birds mobbing it and dive boning it's head. 

The best advice to minimise snakes being around your property is to keep grass short, have no places for them to hide or rest (no piles of junk or garden waste etc, so keep everything minimal and tidy with no low busy plants. 

King cobra feed on other snakes...others cobra species...so a good clean up, making sure there are no rats about to attract the other snakes, will mean there is no food to attract the king cobra.   So do not have car food, or other stuff rats will eat, left out.

On a side note, if you do have king cobra babies they will quickly disperse away from your place, as they do not tolerate living in the same territory.  Also having a king cobra about will mean you won't have any 'normal' cobra or dangerous snakes about...they will be eaten!

Funny Story, when I lived in Huachuca Mountain region of Arizona, In the Army) we carried brightly colored ropes to surround the campsite, local Indian folks. said rattlesnakes wouldn't cross the rope thinking it was  King snake, which eats rattlesnakes...............don't know if it ever worked but spent many a night there and never saw a snake anywhere near my sleeping bag.   None of the "smell" techniques work, snakes smell the air with their tongues looking for distinct signatures of prey.   Keep the grass short, rat population down and they should leave you alone.

Edited by TunnelRat69
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

High drama at the house, as this one was in the back yard.  At least 2m long, as that is a 4" pipe.

OK, after peeking and Ms Google confirmed it was a Rat Snake instead of a Cobra, not as dramatic.  Damn they move fast.

Note to self:  Dog on leash again, when walking at our own house ????

DSN01918DN.jpg