Need an old phone like Samsung S7 that accepts a big SIM

ukrules

I need to buy a phone which will work with the full sized sim that goes into a phone model like the Samsung Galaxy S7

I have a phone which I leave at home that contains the larger sized sim from the UK, it should not be locked to any network.

It doesn't need to be a Samsung or a Galaxy S7, so long as it accepts the 'Standard SIM' as illustrated below :

image.png.33b1e72beb51a3c391b6e16589ae977f.png

I don't believe there are any current phone models which accept this size of sim but I'm very sure I can buy one from somewhere in Thailand.

I would prefer a new one but when it comes down to it - it doesn't really matter. This is a matter of convenience really, I could get a new sim sent to an address in England and then buy a more modern phone - but the sim I have works just fine for what I need which is SMS messages so I would like to just continue using it as is.

Anyone got any ideas? I haven't trawled the mobile phone shops at Market Village yet - I am in Hua Hin and would prefer to buy locally.

Thanks!

Had a similar issue recently. An iPhone 4 with working UK sim packed up and the repair shop suggested that I could get the sim cut to size to fit a new mobile.

However had an old Samsung J6 and just inserted the full sized UK sim and works perfectly.

• Like 1

Interesting, I've never heard of a sim cutter before but it makes sense, I always wondered why they were so large in times gone by when it's the same thing.

I guess I'll be going shopping for a phone and will buy it from whoever can cut it down to size for me.

Thanks for the info!

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

Interesting, I've never heard of a sim cutter before but it makes sense, I always wondered why they were so large in times gone by when it's the same thing.

I guess I'll be going shopping for a phone and will buy it from whoever can cut it down to size for me.

Thanks for the info!

Virtually any kiosk can do it, I have a sim cutter somewhere.

45 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Virtually any kiosk can do it, I have a sim cutter somewhere.

I just threw one out !!...

In the past I also cut down sim’s with scissors.  

As others have mentioned - any shop will cut down your SIM for you. 

But, the ‘cut down’ SIM may not work with a new phone because of the ‘tech’ loaded in the SIM itself. 

Thus - the best option would be to get a new SIM from the operator / phone company.