Small fruit fly things in the bathroom

Kenny202

Anybody else get these things in the bathroom? only in the bathroom. Like tiny little fly's, look like a fruit fly to me. Only about 2mm (3/16") or so.

Our bathroom is spotless by the way. They dont seem to do any harm or seem to be attracted to any one area but its not nice. Often Ill walk in the bathroom take a breath and one goes down your throat. I often get the bum gun and hose em all off the walls and down the drain but always back again en masse next day. Anyway to get rid of them?

Those are most likely drain flies.  They lay their eggs in the muck in the drains and the larvae develop there until the adult stage when they emerge from the drains and fly around.

There are a number of remedies, including pouring boiling water down the drains every day. Others include vinegar and baking soda mixtures. See what you can find with Google.

11 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Those are most likely drain flies.  They lay their eggs in the muck in the drains and the larvae develop there until the adult stage when they emerge from the drains and fly around.

There are a number of remedies, including pouring boiling water down the drains every day. Others include vinegar and baking soda mixtures. See what you can find with Google.

I have noticed them from time to time... I always assumed they were fruit flies and entered our house with the ‘produce’ from the supermarket....  

Knowing the above info is helpful... I might ‘bleach’ the drains in the bathrooms a little more often. 

22 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Funny you say that because I pulled the Insert / grill thing out and appeared to be full of tiny little worms.

11 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Funny you say that because I pulled the Insert / grill thing out and appeared to be full of tiny little worms.

Drain fly larvae.

Drain flies can be quite difficult to eradicate. The eggs are quite hardy and can survive attempts to kill them. The larvae are more vulnerable, so repeated treatment is often necessary to get each generation of larvae until they have not had a chance to go through the full lifecycle.

57 minutes ago, bigupandchill said:

Who knew? You learn some new everyday. Thanks to the posters above for this valuable info.

+++++AAAAA. Actually just after spraying all the eggs away they have reduced by 90%, following up this morning with the boiling water and after a few days bi carb and vinegar

• Like 1