Pushbike Problems

carlyai

Moderator... can you put this in the bikes section please.

We have 2 bikes that a bike shop said can't be fixed as both the Shimano gear changes are worn out.

One bike is a Diamondback and the other a Talera. Both about 10 + years old.

I want to fix them and need some advice. I think I need to replace the Shimano SIS and need advice on where to buy the parts or any advice you can think of. 

Attached some pics but not all that clear.

Thanks

20220925_111434.jpg

20220925_111454.jpg

20220925_111505.jpg

20220925_111520.jpg

20220925_111548.jpg

20220925_111609.jpg

20220925_111708.jpg

try Facebook Chiang Mai used stuff.....used something.......there are many used groups

will find some bikes that might fit in your price range.

probably need a chain, cassette, lube, maybe a new RD, ... In Chiang Mai tons of places but some are rather expensive.

I'd guess a fix on both bikes might be around 4000.......UNLESS you really don't care if you destroy the bike, then just ask for a service and give them a max price.    hopefully they only fix what MUST be fixed, and you can ride and keep ruining your gears and stuff but that would be the cheapest.

too hard to really tell with these pictures

• Like 1

Pathetic excuse for a bike shop. They should order the parts in for you.

You'll probably have to replace the whole chain set. Rear derailleur, chain and back cassette/freewheel.

Try Thaibikeshop on Shopee for parts: https://shopee.co.th/ของแท้-ศูนย์ไทย-ตีนผีหลัง-ตีนผีจักรยาน-SHIMANO-TOURNEY--RDTY300--6-7-SPEED-i.29792.19713436324

Alternatively; https://www.lazada.co.th/products/shimano-tourney-tx800-78-ty500-sgs-67-mtb-part-i2279058202-s7658520350.html

Check with the shop to see if the part is compatible.

Diamondback is the name of the company, not the bike model. Talera is the name of the bike model, not the company. GT Talera?

Your pictures and descriptions aren't that helpful ???? 

• Like 1

Try 888 bike shop, on old San Kamphaeng road, just east of middle ring road.  Closed on Tuesdays.

I'm assuming you're in Chiang Mai as that was mentioned in another reply.

https://www.google.co.th/maps/@18.7787258,99.0494349,3a,75y,227.24h,90.23t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1syt6QcWFuJMa7-GwDZLrUNg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en-GB

Before buying parts, you need to know what kind of rear hub you have.

Edited by Yorkshire Tea
  • Like 1

Thank you very much for the comments. 

I'll get my bike out first and take some better pictures. 

The problem with mine is that all gears can't be selected and difficult to change gears. 

I live in Isaan near Mukdahan.

I don't mind replacing things if I know what to replace.

More pics coming. ????

You require new back cassettes, (sprokets) a set with the same amount of gears should fit easily 

You will also need a new chains, as stated above already 

Once you have these in place suggest next step is have a shop look at setting up the gear shift, may be possible, without purchasing new

PS Throwing a bit of lubricant in your twist grips and in  cable sleeves might also make a difference 

Edited by 473geo
  • Like 2

As already stated the rear cassette is worn out, check the teeth on it against a new one.

You might need a special tool to get the cassette off, at least a chain whip, probably the bike shops don't have it.

If you replace the cassette you will have to replace the chain as the old one will slip on a new cassette, the front chainwheel looks to be OK.

Suggest go to a more up market bike shop who will have the tools and knowledge to do this simple job.

I know all this because when I retired I pursued my bike riding hobby by importing mountain bikes into Singapore, I also owned five retail mountain bike shops there as well

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

A concern with an old bike would be that there is more to bring the bike up to speck to make it an enjoyable ride... It may work out more costly than a new bike as you find out with each new part you need another new part etc etc... 

Another option is a new Mountain bike which would cut a lot of hassle... 

https://www.decathlon.co.th/en/all-sports/cycling-13145?refinementList[tes_gender_en][0]=MEN'S&sortBy=th_pr_dosa_category_price_desc

Decathlon will deliver.

Screenshot 2022-09-26 at 06.33.37.png

Edited by richard_smith237

I think those bikes are closer to twenty years old ????

DiamondBack Response SE: Shimano Alivio RD-MC18 Rear Derailleur. Maybe something like the SHIMANO Altus M315 as gear shifters, in case they aren't working.

GT Talera seems something of a mish-mash.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

I think those bikes are closer to twenty years old ????

DiamondBack Response SE: Shimano Alivio RD-MC18 Rear Derailleur. Maybe something like the SHIMANO Altus M315 as gear shifters, in case they aren't working.

GT Talera seems something of a mish-mash.

Yes, maybe 20 years old. I forget ....'but it seems like yesterday.' Of course wifey wants a new one, while I want to fix them.

Maybe convert them to ebikes?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, carlyai said:

Yes, maybe 20 years old. I forget ....'but it seems like yesterday.' Of course wifey wants a new one, while I want to fix them.

Maybe convert them to ebikes?

Fixing things is good. Parts aren't too expensive, but it helps if you have a competent bike mechanic who will strip it down and give good service.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, carlyai said:

The problem with mine is that all gears can't be selected and difficult to change gears. 

That often happens when things get dirty and are not lubricated which your photos show to be the case with your shifters and chains.

Cleaning and lubricating can often fix the problems, might not make them 100% race ready but functional for normal riding. That has resolved shifting problems for me many times.

You might try the easy inexpensive route first.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

That often happens when things get dirty and are not lubricated which your photos show to be the case with your shifters and chains.

Cleaning and lubricating can often fix the problems, might not make them 100% race ready but functional for normal riding. That has resolved shifting problems for me many times.

You might try the easy inexpensive route first.

They have been sitting now for a couple of years since I took them to the bike shop and there they were cleaned and lubricated first.

I might try and order the parts (sprockets) and tools on the Lazada link in this thread. ????

11 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

When you say won't change do you mean the mechanism doesn't move or that the mechanism moves but the chain doesn't? 

You can select some gears, but not all, the chain won't move all the way for all gears. I tried adjusting as per the book, but still the same problem.

Just intouch with Shopee at the moment to order recommended parts.

8 minutes ago, carlyai said:

You can select some gears, but not all, the chain won't move all the way for all gears. I tried adjusting as per the book, but still the same problem.

Just intouch with Shopee at the moment to order recommended parts.

OK I was thinking after some years, the cable and the bar mounted shifter mechanism need some TLC.

• Like 2

I am guessing you have more sense than money, but still enough money to replace the bikes if you have to.

Assuming you also have plenty of time on your hands…

Buy a new cassette and chain of the same number of rear cogs as you currently have.  And a chain whip, and a socket to fit the cassette to remove it. And another one, until you get the right one.  If it was a modern cassette, and you researched diligently on the internet, you might get it right first time.  Buy new cables; consider buying new sheaths, if you really want to push the boat out; and a set of cable cutters, for the sheaths.  If you don’t buy sheaths, clean the old ones by feeding string into the sheath so that as you draw the cable out, it pulls the string through.  Don’t cut the string short, as it is going to come off, and you are going to have to pull it out the way it went in.  Maybe you should’ve soaked it in petrol or meths first, as well.

dismantle the derailleurs as far as you can be bothered, and soak them in petrol and scrub them with a nail brush. Your mother would tell you to wear marigold gloves while you are doing this, but then you wouldn’t be able to feel how clean they were.  Leave everything to dry in the sun for the afternoon while you enjoy a beer, and come back to it the next morning.  Fit back together again as much of it as you can remember, and still find.  Put a drop of the heaviest oil you have on the cable sheaths and the end of the cable before you push them through. Fit the new sprocket and chain.  Tinker and fettle until everything works fine, or frustration gets the better of you.  Lubricate liberally, spin to work the oil in, wipe until there is no visible lubricant, and you’ll be good to go after refreshing your weary brow.

Alternatively, if you have more money than any one of sense, perseverance or spare time, take it to a bike shop that has a pub nearby.  They could do that four times faster than you could, and you can kid yourself that they did, even though it took one tenth of the time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

I am guessing you have more sense than money, but still enough money to replace the bikes if you have to.

Assuming you also have plenty of time on your hands…

Buy a new cassette and chain of the same number of rear cogs as you currently have.  And a chain whip, and a socket to fit the cassette to remove it. And another one, until you get the right one.  If it was a modern cassette, and you researched diligently on the internet, you might get it right first time.  Buy new cables; consider buying new sheaths, if you really want to push the boat out; and a set of cable cutters, for the sheaths.  If you don’t buy sheaths, clean the old ones by feeding string into the sheath so that as you draw the cable out, it pulls the string through.  Don’t cut the string short, as it is going to come off, and you are going to have to pull it out the way it went in.  Maybe you should’ve soaked it in petrol or meths first, as well.

dismantle the derailleurs as far as you can be bothered, and soak them in petrol and scrub them with a nail brush. Your mother would tell you to wear marigold gloves while you are doing this, but then you wouldn’t be able to feel how clean they were.  Leave everything to dry in the sun for the afternoon while you enjoy a beer, and come back to it the next morning.  Fit back together again as much of it as you can remember, and still find.  Put a drop of the heaviest oil you have on the cable sheaths and the end of the cable before you push them through. Fit the new sprocket and chain.  Tinker and fettle until everything works fine, or frustration gets the better of you.  Lubricate liberally, spin to work the oil in, wipe until there is no visible lubricant, and you’ll be good to go after refreshing your weary brow.

Alternatively, if you have more money than any one of sense, perseverance or spare time, take it to a bike shop that has a pub nearby.  They could do that four times faster than you could, and you can kid yourself that they did, even though it took one tenth of the time.

I tried to order the parts on Shopee yesterday but they didn't respond after initial contact. Tried Lazada and they said they would get back today. 

Cleaning everything up is the next job.

The next option is to take them to Pattaya or Chang Mai  bike shop, a 10 to 11 hr trip which would turn into a week visit. 

50 minutes ago, carlyai said:

The next option is to take them to Pattaya or Chang Mai  bike shop, a 10 to 11 hr trip which would turn into a week visit. 

This bike shop is in Khon Kaen which may be more convenient. They respond quickly to messages on Facebook. I recently bought a Trek mountain bike from them was happy with their service.

119/3 Laonadi Road Tambol Naimuang Amphur Muang, Amphoe Muang Khon Kaen, Khon Kaen, Thailand

3 hours ago, jim hayes said:

This bike shop is in Khon Kaen which may be more convenient. They respond quickly to messages on Facebook. I recently bought a Trek mountain bike from them was happy with their service.

119/3 Laonadi Road Tambol Naimuang Amphur Muang, Amphoe Muang Khon Kaen, Khon Kaen, Thailand

Great thanks. I've gotta go to Khon Kaen on the 7th next month.

23 hours ago, Rimmer said:

As already stated the rear cassette is worn out, check the teeth on it against a new one.

You might need a special tool to get the cassette off, at least a chain whip, probably the bike shops don't have it.

If you replace the cassette you will have to replace the chain as the old one will slip on a new cassette, the front chainwheel looks to be OK.

Suggest go to a more up market bike shop who will have the tools and knowledge to do this simple job.

I know all this because when I retired I pursued my bike riding hobby by importing mountain bikes into Singapore, I also owned five retail mountain bike shops there as well

Can you comment on the best type of inner city bike? Seems a hybrid would suit best where I see many riding around on knobby bike mtn bikes with front shocks.

I took my back wheel to a lical bike shop and he said he could replace the back cassette with a 6 sprocket cassette, where mine is 7 sprocket, so I said no. Would the 6 sprocket cassette work, but less gears?

Also sent Lazada bike shop the rear tyre pictures showing both cassettes and the bike makes, but they said they need the part number. There are numbers on each of the sprockets but not sure how to give them a part number.

Would this 7 sprocket cassette fit?

Screenshot_20220929-042856_Lazada.jpg

Don't buy parts if you don't know how to replace them yourself.

Clean the bikes and find a bike shop to take care of everything (you'll find one, they don't have much work).

Search Bike Shop on Google Maps --> find their website or Facebook (I get answers when I send a PM on Facebook) 

• Like 1