Omicron Booster and Pandemic-weary Thailand

webfact

18 minutes ago, Bim Smith said:

Funny. I have never rolled my sleeve up and not as much as a sniffle these last two years. All my vaccinated friends got it after getting the vaccine. Strange how that science works. Could be that I have been lucky hey

One individual anecdote does not outweigh the statistics gathered from 10’s of thousands of people.

Multiple studies have shown that the vaccinated, taken as an overall group (and not on an individual basis) are still less likely to contract Covid than the unvaccinated - even with Omicron.

As stated in the FactCheck.org article below:

those triply vaccinated with the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine were 54% less likely to become infected during the omicron period [...]

Similarly, those triply vaccinated with the Moderna vaccine were 46% less likely to become infected during the omicron period ...

Vaccinated People Not More Susceptible to COVID-19 Than Unvaccinated

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

If the vaccine protects one from getting infected, why are so many of the vaccinated getting covid?

its all because of the unvaccinated !!     you see, we never got covid so therefore we are a great danger of being carriers  (when we get it from the vaccinated )

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Bim Smith said:

Funny. I have never rolled my sleeve up and not as much as a sniffle these last two years. All my vaccinated friends got it after getting the vaccine. Strange how that science works. Could be that I have been lucky hey

Not that surprising.  A big percentage (sorry, I don't know the number these days) get COVID and are asymptomatic, especially those that are younger and/or in good physical condition.  I think that it's more likely today, especially if you live in an urban area, that you had it, but didn't know it, then never having COVID at all.  I think that I read a recent (gu)estimate that over 70% of those in Thailand have had COVID.  So yes, you probably are just lucky!  Enjoy, and stay well!

I am happy to get the new booster, shortly. Even if it will just help me from becoming dead if I catch COVID 19 again.

I have a few relatives and friends who were anti-vaxxers. Some of them got Omicron and were  very sick from it. I emailed them and let them know of my relatives and other friends who caught one of the first 3 variants and all had died. Since that e mail some have since went and got jabbed for COVID.  Amazing what it takes to change people minds. 

20 hours ago, vandeventer said:

I know  guy that has been jabbed 5 times with 5 different vaccines to be sure that it would work. He's had covid twice after his 5th shot. Too much of a good thing?

These examples of single events don't really prove anything other than there are exceptions. Many who got vaccinated never caught Covid, that they know of... me for example, my partner too. Next door I got one who caught Covid, no vaccinations, his wife caught it after 2 vaccinations and a booster. 

On 9/26/2022 at 10:23 AM, alyx said:

I only got vaccinated because it has allowed me to travel.

Last year, in Europe I have had Janssen and, six months later, Pfizer before being vaccinated with  Moderna in Thailand earlier this year.

I thought that was it but, planning to go to a country where an under 9 month proof of vaccination  is required, I had a 4th vaccine a couple of weeks ago, Novavax, in Europe again. 

It also seems that i will go for the latter again in a couple of weeks.

Hopefully they will stop this nonsense and this Covid will be forgotten as it should be

Masks and vaccine mandates have been dropped in NZ and Australia, I have had Omicron twice, my 10 Yr old son has had it twice and we never got sick, apart from a bad cough that the boy had, I'm 70 and never knew I had it, none of us vaccinated except for the wife who also got it, she spent 8 days in bed with it. No one seems worried about covid now people are not talking about it and no one seems interested in any jabs, the government is offering Pfizer pills now, on the whole no one seems to give a toss, although a lot said they 

Probabiy might not have got the vaccine if they new more. 

29 minutes ago, kiwikeith said:

Masks and vaccine mandates have been dropped in NZ and Australia, I have had Omicron twice, my 10 Yr old son has had it twice and we never got sick, apart from a bad cough that the boy had, I'm 70 and never knew I had it, none of us vaccinated except for the wife who also got it, she spent 8 days in bed with it. No one seems worried about covid now people are not talking about it and no one seems interested in any jabs, the government is offering Pfizer pills now, on the whole no one seems to give a toss, although a lot said they 

Probabiy might not have got the vaccine if they new more. 

Totally agree