Extension of stay after a few days on Visa Exempt

Coming in on a 45 day visa exempt. Staying at a hotel for a few days. During those few days stay at the hotel, is it fine to go to Jomtien immigration and getting a 30 day extension, rather than waiting a few weeks before doing it? Just to be safe that a TM30 has been lodged in case other longer stay accommodation doesn't lodge one later on.

3 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Just to be safe that a TM30 has been lodged in case other longer stay accommodation doesn't lodge one later on

Just keep the screenshot of the TM30 from first hotel.

Given visa exempt entry will be 45 days thinking immigration will tell you to come back later (not necessarily);

The norm is to apply couple of weeks prior to end of permit. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Just keep the screenshot of the TM30 from first hotel.

Given visa exempt entry will be 45 days thinking immigration will tell you to come back later (not necessarily);

The norm is to apply couple of weeks prior to end of permit. 

Doesn't the hotel lodge the TM30 online immediately when you check-in to the hotel, when they ask for your passport when checking in? Therefore, I wouldn't be able to get a screenshot of it unless I ask them if I can take a photo of their computer screen when they do it. They'll probably think I'm weird lol.

I don't understand this advice to "get a screenshot of TM30 from hotel".  If you stay at a decent hotel, they file a TM30 as required by law. You go to immigration, they check their computer, TM30 is there so no problem.

If TM30 is not in immigration computer, do you really think some phone screenshot will make a difference (I've seen several IO's call the hotel when there was a problem and it was sorted)

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Thumbs Up 1

OP I've done it once. I applied for a 30 day extension at the same time I applied for my TM30 (2 days after arrival). I said I wanted to do 6 week language course and needed to have approval to stay that long before I booked.

They granted the extension but I got many weird looks and more scrutiny so I never tried it again (as Dr says above, now that visa exempt is 45 days it's probably less likely)

2 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Therefore, I wouldn't be able to get a screenshot of it unless I ask them if I can take a photo of their computer screen when they do it.

The hotel can do it 

Some immigration offices have a doc check and that screenshot can be printed out and satisfies immigration. 

9 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The hotel can do it 

Some immigration offices have a doc check and that screenshot can be printed out and satisfies immigration. 

Yes that’s right. I do it all the time, check in, passport and I ask for a screenshot of tm30 for immigration. They’ve always given it to me. Print it and keep for when you ask for the extension one week before the stamp date. 
( if they won’t give it to you change hôtel)