Driving License

Finlaco

12 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Sometimes people give wrong advice, so it makes sense to always be a bit sceptical, he could have chosen his words more carefully though.

so if you not like then struggle to get answer you require.....

or go to a dlt yourself and ask questions.......simple to do....!!!

2 hours ago, Finlaco said:

@DrJack54 I appreciate you eagerness to try to help but a renewal of an existing Thai DL is far removed from applying for the first license.  But thanks for the effort.

Clearly you haven’t done both. There is very little difference between a renewal of either a 2 year temporary license, 5 year permanent license or a new 2 year temporary license with an IDP 

Also you can apply at any DLT office. The documents under do not mention the need in some offices to have viewed the Thai video and have a certificate showing this. Other offices will have the video for viewing. Many offices require an online appointment, some do not.

79D5B684-3093-441D-92D9-975EB49691D4.thumb.png.d6d283b5bfe4e08c79dc72dd956f688e.png

1742D323-2FB1-4EDF-9677-09A16035955D.thumb.jpeg.d6d61686b8242830bcec714451439284.jpeg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Finlaco said:

Not sure if anyone can help, but I am looking at the DLT app for appointments and there are non available for Mor Chit/Chatachuak for the next few months.

Anyone recently been able to make a booking for this site or did you just go to DLT Mor Chit and apply?

What was your experience at DLT Mor Chit?

Thanks for you help and kindness 

How long have you been driving HERE, on your own country license?

26 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Also you can apply at any DLT office.

Sometimes not true. While I applied at Bang Chak 2 years ago (and had no problem), when I went there on Sep 1 this year, they told me my address is in different area and I have to go to Chatuchak. So, same office, different answers. As such for your quote above, I'd say "it depends on office policy which can change at any time".

That said - the officer at Bang Chak was very friendly, even went to find me the phone number of someone at Chatuchak and told me how to get there.

32 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Many offices accept a yellow book/pink card as proof of address, some don’t.

You are correct.  Chatuchack DLT is one who will not take the yellow book for proof of residence, but for this 5 year renewal I was able to get the lady doing my cards to put my pink ID card number on the DL's at the bottom instead of my passport number which has now changed since I did my last licenses.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Just as a list, in case it's needed by anyone in the future...

https://educatebox.com/dvla-international-driving-permit-countries-1949-1968-idp/

Some interesting details in it.

That says the 1949 version - according to the UK government website it says

THAILAND 1968

https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit

FYI - if you go to the Post office website that says 1949 too

Edited by Pmbkk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

That is what I was told by the person making me the international driver's license a couple of years back. There are 2 books, that on the outside look identical. The lady had to look up which one of them Thailand allows, as there are 1 year and 2? 3? years versions. Both are gray folded paper (or rather were for my license, anyway). She said Thailand only accepts one year - so she picked that one, which had translation in Thai in that papers stapled in the middle.

Just checked this from Australia: An IDP is sometimes referred to as an international driving licence and is valid for 12 months.

https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/transaction/apply-online-international-driving-permit-idp

Now that you say this is Bull S - please provide your evidence to the contrary.

So you were making an IDP  not a Thai DL my mistake but the OP does say DLT. 

18 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Your first step will be to apply for residence certificate. 

Cost is 200baht. Takes up to 2 weeks to be posted out. 

In order to obtain a residence certificate in Bangkok you will need to have done 90 day reports. 

There are other requirements such as a medical certificate that is a formality at any clinic aware of requirements.

Of course your divers license from home country is not retained.

This topic cover in MANY threads in "motor forum" 

Dr Jack,

This about 90 day report for residence certificate (yellow book). Is that also required if married with a thai? My wife was there in Nong Khaem and asked and they mentioned noting about that. However they asked if we are married.

5 minutes ago, Captor said:

Dr Jack,

This about 90 day report for residence certificate (yellow book). Is that also required if married with a thai? My wife was there in Nong Khaem and asked and they mentioned noting about that. However they asked if we are married.

I was replying to OP which is specifically about Bangkok.

Bangkok immigration CW requires you to be doing 90 day reports in order to apply for residence certificate.

Most (if not all) other offices do not have that requirement.

Edited by DrJack54

48 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

So you were making an IDP  not a Thai DL my mistake but the OP does say DLT. 

No, I was making a Thai driver's license for the first time. To avoid having to do theoretical and practical exam, I handed over my country driver's license but they would not accept it without IDP. So I needed to get IDP made back home in 2019, then come back with both driver's license and IDP (basically translation). At the time IDP was being made for me, I was told it's only valid for 1 year as per rules at that time, but I now learned that last year that's been extended to 3 years for signatories of that 1969 agreement.

18 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I was replying to OP which is specifically about Bangkok.

Bangkok immigration CW requires you to be doing 90 day reports in order to apply for residence certificate.

Most (if not all) other offices do not have that requirement.

OK, then I know. Nong Khaem is Bangkok but I understand now that you meant CW when you  said Bangkok. So I think there is not that requirent in Nong Khaem. Hopefully ????

41 minutes ago, Captor said:

So I think there is not that requirent in Nong Khaem. Hopefully ????

Yes it's a strict thing at CW and is an issue for those on tourist visa etc that do not do 90 day reports. 

Think most embassies provide letter that is accepted for TDL however not all.

Oz embassy one example. 

28 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes it's a strict thing at CW and is an issue for those on tourist visa etc that do not do 90 day reports. 

Think most embassies provide letter that is accepted for TDL however not all.

Oz embassy one example. 

I see, very good info. Thanks Dr Jack. You are most helpful as always. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/27/2022 at 9:18 PM, DrJack54 said:

Your first step will be to apply for residence certificate. 

Cost is 200baht. Takes up to 2 weeks to be posted out. 

In order to obtain a residence certificate in Bangkok you will need to have done 90 day reports. 

There are other requirements such as a medical certificate that is a formality at any clinic aware of requirements.

Of course your divers license from home country is not retained.

This topic cover in MANY threads in "motor forum" 

Just a minor addition, all documents must be no older than 30 days from time of making new license. I wound up doing a couple of them a second time because I was too slow in getting them the first time. BTW, I got my residence certificate 1 hour after requesting it. This was at the one stop shop however.

Edited by paulbrow
add info