Driving License

Finlaco

Hi 

Anyone recently done at DLT Mor Chit.

I already have a License from my home country.  What's the requirements?  Do I get my original Driving License back or its retained?

What is the cost and process for A letter of residence or address certified by the Immigration Bureau?

Thanks 

Your first step will be to apply for residence certificate. 

Cost is 200baht. Takes up to 2 weeks to be posted out. 

In order to obtain a residence certificate in Bangkok you will need to have done 90 day reports. 

There are other requirements such as a medical certificate that is a formality at any clinic aware of requirements.

Of course your divers license from home country is not retained.

This topic cover in MANY threads in "motor forum" 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Not sure if anyone can help, but I am looking at the DLT app for appointments and there are non available for Mor Chit/Chatachuak for the next few months.

Anyone recently been able to make a booking for this site or did you just go to DLT Mor Chit and apply?

What was your experience at DLT Mor Chit?

Thanks for you help and kindness 

Edited by Finlaco
Update

never heard of an appoint app nor the need for it? I walk into my local Rong Kuang DLT office with all papers required and depending on the number of clients come out in 1 to 3 hrs with a refresh thai licence. (that might be the advantage of a small office) In that time have to perform some tests, color , eye sight depth and reaction time on ingeneous machines.

Edited by ardsong

9 hours ago, Finlaco said:

Anyone recently been able to make a booking for this site or did you just go to DLT Mor Chit and apply?

Given the difficulties with appointments some folk use an agent to assist with the que process. 

I personally used BSR Bikes to assist with que during covid when the number of "spots" per day was limited.

Still had to meet her at 7.30am where there is under cover seating area. Cost 1800baht. 

I believe @ThailandRyan recently obtained his 5 year license and posted a report for Chatuchak 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

If you do not have a 90 Day Report, you will not get a Residence Certificate at CW. If a US citizen (don't know about other nationalities)

Applies to all.

Also a bit of a catch-22 for the need to have a residence certificate to open bank account.

Those living in Bangkok and not making 90 day reports at CW  cannot obtain a residence certificate. 

Added footnote: sounds simple problem but it's not.

Due to travel out/in Thailand for many years could not obtain a TDL due to this.

Approach DL agents such as Fatboy's...

There was no way around it.

BTW Oz embassy does not provide the embassy letter alternative to residence certificate. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, ardsong said:

never heard of an appoint app nor the need for it? I walk into my local Rong Kuang DLT office with all papers required and depending on the number of clients come out in 1 to 3 hrs with a refresh thai licence. (that might be the advantage of a small office) In that time have to perform some tests, color , eye sight depth and reaction time on ingeneous machines.

Of course living out in a smaller Area where there are fewer folks does obviously have it's advantages, but unfortunately here in BKK the que is long, and you must initially have all of the paperwork, except for the medical exam to book an appointment which can be out as far as 2 months.  Since they have changed the requirements and added the fact that you must do the on-line DLT E-Learning module and have that QR code available before they will give you an appointment, I did all that was needed but when I tried to book an appointment myself was told it would be 3 months out, of course that is at Chatuchack DLT, and so I used BSR bikes to assist in getting in and out.  I posted a report when I did it at the end of last month.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Finlaco said:

Not sure if anyone can help, but I am looking at the DLT app for appointments and there are non available for Mor Chit/Chatachuak for the next few months.

Thanks for you help and kindness 

Only Thais with a Thai ID card can make online appointments at Morchit/Chatuckak DLT.

Foreigners have to appear in person to make an DL appointment and to make an appointment a residence certificate is needed

• Thumbs Up 2

27 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Applies to all.

Also a bit of a catch-22 for the need to have a residence certificate to open bank account.

Those living in Bangkok and not making 90 day reports at CW  cannot obtain a residence certificate. 

Added footnote: sounds simple problem but it's not.

Due to travel out/in Thailand for many years could not obtain a TDL due to this.

Approach DL agents such as Fatboy's...

There was no way around it.

BTW Oz embassy does not provide the embassy letter alternative to residence certificate. 

Yes, used Fatboy's a few years ago but they still required me to get a Residence Certificate first.

It's ridiculous tho that CW renewed my "retirement extension" twice at the same address, with rental agreement, and required a map to it...but would not grant a Residence Certificate without 90 Day. Good enough for extension of stay, but not Residence Certificate. ????

I did it as PR so just my pink ID, tabien baan, blue PR booklet and red police booklet were needed from those types of documents. Others can add more on what a foreigner with permanent address abroad requires.

You will however need your home country driver's license and international driver's license from that country (the translation of it, basically. Thailand recognises only 1 year international driver's licenses).

You would need a health certificate from a clinic or hospital (just mention you need it for driver's license and they'll know what to do). It is only valid 30 days.

Go to DLT Chatuchak, building 4. It's the 2nd building on the right side as you get in, which has the car testing area just behind it. Once you get in, on ground floor to the right are the counters. There are 2 separate queues for foreigners. Bring documents for verification. The officer will check them and if all is in order, give you a queue 2-3 weeks in advance. They accept about 15-20 foreigners per day.

You return on date and time of appointment to same counter, and you'll be sent to floor 2 - to get a queue. As you walk up, follow lines on the floor. There you'll get a queue number and go into the waiting area. There, your documents will be checked, you'll fill out and sign some forms, and be sent to floor 3, where you'll hand over the papers and get another queue ticket. There you'll see a video alternating in Thai/English on what to expect from a physical fitness test.

They call about 20 at the same time and put in line, based on queue numbers. First you'll see a traffic light with changing lights at random locations/random colours, and you have to call out the colour of the light. Then a distance awareness or how to call it... there is a box about 1.5-2 m away that has 2 sticks in it. One is fixed and you need to use forward/backward buttons to move the other one so that they are next to each other - at same distance. Then it's reflex test, where you sit down and have 2 pedals like gas and brake. When you see green light, you push the right one, and when light turns to red, you slam the brakes, which you have to do within 0.75s to pass. Finally it's that 150 degree test, where you put head on the plate and tell what light colors you can see on the side.

That done, and all passed, back to floor 2, where your 2 year Temporary driver's license will be issued after they take your photo just there.

When 2 years are up, or up to 3 months before that, you go back and do same procedure as above, just that at that time you only show your temporary driver's license from Thailand instead of your home country and international one (all other documents are same), and at that time you'll get a 5 year license, which gets renewed in the same way.

You could do it elsewhere, but DLT at Chatuchak is a lot faster with queues than some others. I originally went to Bang Chak and got queue for January 2023, but Chatuchak gave me queue 2 weeks later, which was mid September.

Overall, it's not difficult, but you'll need to speak some Thai or you'll have challenges on floors 2 and 3. Ground floor reception speaks English, but on higher floors where licenses are issued and where tests are done... not really. I saw most foreigners there with a Thai with them to translate. I guess calling out colours on floor 3 could be done in English as well...

Hope this helps a bit.

EDIT: forgot to mention: 2 year temporary license lasts 2 years from date of issue. The 5 year license expires on your first birthday after 5 years from issue of license.

Edited by tomazbodner
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, oznomad said:

On the topic of driving license, is it possible to renew the 5 year license early? As in 3.5 years early?

DLT Chatuchak told me 3 months before expiration. But that's maybe for them, other offices might be different as in some you need to wait your queue for over 3 months. Would it be 3.5 years early? I very much doubt it.

44 minutes ago, Finlaco said:

@userabcd I could register on the app as a foreigner using a passport.  The issue seems to be no vacancies.

Why do you think foreigners can't make a booking on line?

Did you recently do it at Mor Chit?

I renewed my driving license at Morchit about 2 months ago. At that time the app would not let me make an appointment for Morchit DLT. Could make online appointments in the app at other DLT testing centres but the appointments were for 2 to 3 months away.

In the app they mentioned that as well, foreigners could not make appointments online at Morchit (maybe it changed now?)

So, I went to Morchit DLT and made an appointment in person (1st visit the DLT officer required a residence certificate for the appointment, so I went and got one and subsequently went back, got an appointment within 3 weeks)

Edited by userabcd

59 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

After checking you will be sent to the 3rd floor for the tests of which there are 4 (Traffic light colour, depth perception, braking response and peripheral vision). You will be given a queue number again and they will retain all your documents (except your passport which is not needed here), there is a large waiting area with a video playing in Thai and then English which explains the tests.

I always pass these tests in other countries, but I have a color impairment, (the circle dots test w/numbers in them foxes me)  I can pass the other tests no problems - stop light, green, yellow, red etc etc etc, but not the old flasj cards with dot & numbers in them.   Whjat kind of color tests do they make you do??  Flash cards or Computer w/perception??    THank You in advance

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Bull S

That is what I was told by the person making me the international driver's license a couple of years back. There are 2 books, that on the outside look identical. The lady had to look up which one of them Thailand allows, as there are 1 year and 2? 3? years versions. Both are gray folded paper (or rather were for my license, anyway). She said Thailand only accepts one year - so she picked that one, which had translation in Thai in that papers stapled in the middle.

Just checked this from Australia: An IDP is sometimes referred to as an international driving licence and is valid for 12 months.

https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/transaction/apply-online-international-driving-permit-idp

Now that you say this is Bull S - please provide your evidence to the contrary.