E.Vs in flood water

Where I live our soi has nearly 2 feet ( 60 cm ) of flood water . Pickups seem to cope , especially the diesel motors . My car a Mitsubishi Attrage will not as the belts were squeaking 2 days ago when the water was lower and I was driving about 3 mph . This got me thinking how do electric vehicles perform in such conditions , especially with the large batteries fixed under the car .

Tesla's are certainly ok, "almost amphibious" according to Mr Musk.

Others ...

A mate has a hybrid Panamera which does quite well in the floods but apparently "a lot of lights come on" but go off again after exiting the wet.

I have seen some ev brands where they have stated they meet the IP67 requirements

IP67 can withstand temporary immersion in water of up to 1 meter for about 30 minutes

I haven't seen any ev Brands state they meet the IP66 requirements

IP66: Dust-tight and protected against strong jets of water

which is what you need if someone overtakes you or vehicle coming from opposite direction in flooded water where they have decided to floor their vehicle and it produces a mini tidal wave against your vehicle

7 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

The EV discussion has now moved to 'idiots' driving their cars through flood waters.  What idiots drive their cars, EVs or ICEs through flood water.  I won't drive my vehicles through any standing water above the rubber of the tire.

Did that before with ICE here, and had to replace the (unsealed) wheel bearings, and not Made in China. OMG .. non Chinese cars are krap.

What ICE has any IP rating.  All of the sudden, your vehicle, EVs only apparently, have to have an IP rating to be submerged ????

All getting a bit silly.  Either an EV is for you, or it isn't.  Move on to the ICE threads.

Next thread ... 'Will EVs survive lightning strikes' ... tornado, hurricanes/typhoon, tsunamis & earthquakes/if falling down a 50m crevice.  Hey, maybe a glacial crevice, iceberg or hit by a landslide or avalanche.  

If MG can't survive an avalanche, I'm cancelling.

The title of this thread is E.Vs in flood water

and for your information according to MG India the MG ZS EV is 

IP67 : DUST & WATER RESISTANCE INDEX

Backed by the most trusted safety standard-IP67, the MG ZS EV battery goes through 6 crucial safety tests, which include dust and waterproof assurance.*

https://www.mgmotor.co.in/vehicles/mgzsev-electric-car-in-india/safety

So we know its meets the ip67 rating 

IP67 can withstand temporary immersion in water of up to 1 meter for about 30 minutes

What we don't know and all the videos posted so far have not  indicate is how EV's handle with a 18 wheeler or any 4 wheel vehicle coming  in the opposite direction at full throttle on a flooded road how they cope with the mini tidal wave that those vehicle produces.

And due to the extreme rainfall in Thailand some people have no choice about not driving on flooded roads

19 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

And due to the extreme rainfall in Thailand some people have no choice about not driving on flooded roads

You always have a choice, some, many, just don't choose wisely.

Was up at Rangsit beginning of last month, and really bad downpour.  Road (#1 frontage) in front of HomePro mall (future park area) was flooded above floorboard level, and I was amazed of all the idiots driving through it.  Not that seeping through the door would be the issue, and surely did on more than few, but that the exhaust would back fill and engine die.  Aside from my issue, wheel bearing needing replacing.

I simply went back in, had a munch, talk with the kid some more, and less than 2 hours later, most was drained off.  Most of those cars could have also taken the expressway, and surely clear sailing up there, or went around the main road where all the water was being channeled to.

MG ZS sits high, but I'm not driving through that, or getting stuck behind someone who's engine conks out.

I've yet to be splashed more than a second or 2, by what you are describing on Thai roads, or anywhere.

Edited by KhunLA

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Was up at Rangsit beginning of last month, and really bad downpour.  Road (#1 frontage) in front of HomePro mall (future park area) was flooded above floorboard level, and I was amazed of all the idiots driving through it.  Not that seeping through the door would be the issue, and surely did on more than few, but that the exhaust would back fill and engine die.  Aside from my issue, wheel bearing needing replacing.

I simply went back in, had a munch, talk with the kid some more, and less than 2 hours later, most was drained off.  Most of those cars could have also taken the expressway, and surely clear sailing up there, or went around the main road where all the water was being channeled to.

MG ZS sits high, but I'm not driving through that, or getting stuck behind someone who's engine conks out.

Which is fine for you But a large number of people have no choice they start work in the morning by the time they have finished work all the roads are flooded, trains buses suspended 

4 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Which is fine for you But a large number of people have no choice they start work in the morning by the time they have finished work all the roads are flooded, trains buses suspended 

Planning is everything.  Better planning = happier everyday life experiences.

Every problem has a solution:

image.png.bb75df780e5a517df2135b2096492241.png

Edited by KhunLA

48 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

The EV discussion has now moved to 'idiots' driving their cars through flood waters.  What idiots drive their cars, EVs or ICEs through flood water.  I won't drive my vehicles through any standing water above the rubber of the tire.

11 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Planning is everything.  Better planning = happier everyday life experiences.

These are ridiculous responses dripping in sanctimony.... 

What would you suggest ?

- Leaving our children at School because the road may flood ?

- Not sending them to school in the first place because the road may flood 6 hours later ?

- Moving house to a different area which there is a guarantee will never flood ? (good luck). 

- Staying out and not going home because the road to the moo-baan or condo is 1ft deep ?

There are so many many situation where we are out and need to get home etc and 30cm flood water is no issue.... I’ve been in that situation a few times and glad I have an SUV.

This idea that you can plan for all eventualities is fundamentally flawed... it's the logic of someone who has the luxury of no needing to be somewhere or needing to do things.

Plenty report of MG ZS needing new battery due to the exhaust valve on the battery that's supposed to only let gasses out failed and lets water in, and a big passing the buck game between insurance and the manufacturer, one claiming it should be quality and defect issue vs an accident due to driving into a puddle 

18 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Some stupid crazy car owners , not only did not make it through the water but probably have done some damage to the cars interior . BTW was that a BMW that made it through ( the last car ) , if so may be a diesel engine ?  Thanks for the video .

47 minutes ago, superal said:

Some stupid crazy car owners , not only did not make it through the water but probably have done some damage to the cars interior . BTW was that a BMW that made it through ( the last car ) , if so may be a diesel engine ?  Thanks for the video .

You really can't fix stupid.

If you know you have to drive thru water, every so often, but a vehicle made for it.  Only the Tesla & Land Rover made it thru unscathed. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, superal said:

The last car, the only one to successfully drive through the water was a Tesla.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

You really can't fix stupid.

If you know you have to drive thru water, every so often, but a vehicle made for it.  Only the Tesla & Land Rover made it thru unscathed. 

I thought that the Land Rover had problems when it stopped after coming out of the water . 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, superal said:

I thought that the Land Rover had problems when it stopped after coming out of the water . 

At least it was still running.  Maybe they were thinking about scooping any water inside out (on camera) or wait till getting elsewhere.  Re-watching, hard to tell how long those missing segments are, and if running the whole time.

See someone posted the MG ZS EV is IP ? and might make it thru like the Tesla, but no way would I drive any vehicle, I liked, thru water like that or even close to the bottom of the car.  ZS ground clearance is only 17cm, so I might drive thru 10cm of water, but no more.  Can't think of any reason why I would even consider anything deeper, whether it can or not.

• Like 1

All the videos posted so far of driving in water have only shown one vehicle

be driven in a flood no vehicles overtaking or coming in the opposite direction

so it appears the wave factor of other vehicles is still an unknown

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, digbeth said:

Plenty report of MG ZS needing new battery due to the exhaust valve on the battery that's supposed to only let gasses out failed and lets water in, and a big passing the buck game between insurance and the manufacturer, one claiming it should be quality and defect issue vs an accident due to driving into a puddle 

Yes quite a number of posts in this MG ZS EV  facebook group

its the Snap In Breather Plug that have 3 outlets that release gases if the battery is getting to hot

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2572340166118367/permalink/5984359794916370

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Yes quite a number of posts in this MG ZS EV  facebook group

its the Snap In Breather Plug that have 3 outlets that release gases if the battery is getting to hot

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2572340166118367/permalink/5984359794916370

Thanks for posting, as something to pay attention to.  See if they change the plug for the TH deliveries from China.  Or dealer are made award and offer to replace.  Allow to, without warranty issues.

• Thanks 1