E.Vs in flood water

superal

On 10/2/2022 at 3:15 PM, vinny41 said:

All the videos posted so far of driving in water have only shown one vehicle

be driven in a flood no vehicles overtaking or coming in the opposite direction

so it appears the wave factor of other vehicles is still an unknown

My house is marooned by flood water and rising . Yesterday I decided to take a chance and use our spare car ( Daihatsu ) as we needed to buy a pump to halt the water coming into the house . I drove the car out into the flooded soi and then drove low gear ( automatic gearbox ) . Got out of the soi on to the main road and bought the pump . On return there was a  tremendous cloudburst . Entered our soi and drove slowly . As I entered the driveway the engine started to misfire but we made it . Then as my lady opened her passenger door , water came out of the car .  ( Old car so not too worried ) . So it is not only about battery protection but the ability of the car to withstand water ingression .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/1/2022 at 3:42 PM, vinny41 said:

Which is fine for you But a large number of people have no choice they start work in the morning by the time they have finished work all the roads are flooded, trains buses suspended 

And what makes you think that their ICE vehicles would be able to cope operating in such conditions?

52 minutes ago, superal said:

Then as my lady opened her passenger door , water came out of the car .  ( Old car so not too worried ) . So it is not only about battery protection but the ability of the car to withstand water ingression .

On almost all monocoque-chassis cars (that's most cars apart from some 4x4s, pickups etc) the sill box-sections will have a number of water drain outlets.  If driving in deep water, once the water reaches the sills it can therefore enter the interior of the car through these holes.

10 minutes ago, placeholder said:

And what makes you think that their ICE vehicles would be able to cope operating in such conditions?

Some vehicles can cope better than others Ford suggest for the FordEV f150 lightning don't exceed 2ft or 609mm 

For the Ice version of the ranger the suggested max range is 800mm as shown here

On 10/2/2022 at 11:50 AM, KhunLA said:

Can't think of any reason why I would even consider anything deeper, whether it can or not.

Overnight flood water is rising fast, where you parked is on slightly higher ground but still flooding, only way out is through deeper water, what do you do

a) abandon the car or

b) chance the deeper water or

c) ......................

This happened to me a few years ago, I took my pickup out slowly, but cars were still travelling at normalish speeds creating massive bow waves.

1 minute ago, foreverlomsak said:

Overnight flood water is rising fast, where you parked is on slightly higher ground but still flooding, only way out is through deeper water, what do you do

a) abandon the car or

b) chance the deeper water or

c) ......................

This happened to me a few years ago, I took my pickup out slowly, but cars were still travelling at normalish speeds creating massive bow waves.

Lesson learned, park on higher ground next time ... 

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Hotel ... so you're on holiday.

Lesson #2 ... don't holiday during rainy season.

Was the last day, before going back to school following day, had stayed there a number of times before during rainy season and never a hint of standing water in the Soi, let alone flooding.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jitar said:

Yeah like the thousands of cars parked for days on high level expressways and BKK airport parking during the big flood in 2011.  

1 of many reasons why I don't live in Krung Thep.

Love going to .... Love leaving ????