Nationwide credit card problem?

proton

Couple of months ago they blocked my card paying for surfshark , suspected fraud, no problem paying with the debit card! Since then been trying to get them to unblock it, don't like phoning them so wrote to them. This week got a letter and 2 CD's no mention of the credit card but a lot of waffle about my complaint, which it wasn't. Tried the chat which is always useless they just tell you to phone, hearing is bad so want to avoid that. No idea what is on the Cd's no way to read them these days. Is there any way to find out if the card is blocked without buying something?

Sorry you are having problems.

Nationwide are obliged to provide help to customers suffering hearing loss and do make an effort to help.

When texting Nationwide did you explain your hearing problems?

If not I suggest you send a written message that starts off by explaining you need help due to hearing difficulties, then and only then discuss what you need help with.

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/help/accessibility/

Getting a restriction on your cards removed should not be difficult but keep in mind each staff member deals with hundreds of customers per day.

Start with ‘I am a nationwide customer, I have difficulty with my hearing, can you please help me resolve this credit card problem’.

Good luck, and again sorry you are having problems.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Nationwide are obliged to provide help to customers suffering hearing loss and do make an effort to help.

If not I suggest you send a written message that starts off by explaining you need help due to hearing difficulties, then and only then discuss what you need help with.

Getting a restriction on your cards removed should not be difficult but keep in mind each staff member deals with hundreds of customers per day.

Start with ‘I am a nationwide customer, I have difficulty with my hearing, can you please help me resolve this credit card problem’.

Thanks very much, all the security these days means they easily stop the card, then can't tell you why they suspect fraud, I asked before,

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, proton said:

No you can't but can up rate the credit limit on it.

It says here that you can 

To do this:

1. Log into the Internet Bank using your Visa debit card and card reader.
  2. Choose Manage.
  3. Find My Security, then choose View or change my security settings.
  4. Find My passnumber/My memorable data.
  5. Choose Change, then follow the on-screen instructions.

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/help/online-banking-help/locked-out-of-online-bank/

• Like 1

Nationwide's customer relations system is utterly dysfunctional, certainly as far as dealing with customers overseas.

They blocked my debit card a few months ago. After talking to a bot for several minutes on their  online chat system, I eventually got hold of a human being. I asked why they had blocked it. They said that they thought that it was suspicious as the transaction was made in Thailand. I asked them what address the account and card was registered at, they read out my Thai address, followed by an embarrassed silence ending in "oh dear!"

They said that the only way to unblock the card was to call their international card hotline. They could not do it online. ( I do understand - Swindon is a very backwards place, and any piece of technology which is not painted Brunswick green and fitted with a copper capped chimney is deeply suspect).

The international card hotline is answered by a recording announcing how keen they are to help, followed by the inevitable push 1 for xyz menu.

Unfortunately it disconnects after 32 seconds ( just enough time for the international call charges to click over). It does this whether you try a TOT landline, DTAC, AIS or True. After trying a score or so times, and exhausting my phone credit, I went back to the chat - they told me to phone the international card hotline to report the problem. I got quite excited (albeit politely) at this epic Pythonesque stupidity, so they announced that they were recording my comments as a complaint, and I would receive a response by email within two weeks. The chat messaging facility was withdrawn.

Two weeks later to the day I received the email. It told me to call the international card hotline. I tried again, it was still disconnecting after 32 seconds. I emailed my "complaints handler". He responded that Nationwide does not offer International banking services (I don't expect them, only to use my debit card, and anyway, if they don't operate internationally why 1) offer an international card hotline, and 2) allow me to register my Thai address - they told me to do that when they moved here); and I should return to the UK to sort it out. 

This rather annoyed me, so I told him that if my card was not sorted out I would write to the office of Nationwide CEO, copied to the board member responsible for customer relationships, explaining my frustration at his response and asking them to intercede. Funnily less than 4 hours later the chat system was reinstated and I received a message that my card was unblocked!

4 days later my card was blocked because of a suspicious transaction made in Thailand. The international card hotline disconnected after 32 seconds...

Nationwide proudly boast that they are different. They certainly are!

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Nationwide's customer relations system is utterly dysfunctional, certainly as far as dealing with customers overseas.

They blocked my debit card a few months ago. After talking to a bot for several minutes on their  online chat system, I eventually got hold of a human being. I asked why they had blocked it. They said that they thought that it was suspicious as the transaction was made in Thailand. I asked them what address the account and card was registered at, they read out my Thai address, followed by an embarrassed silence ending in "oh dear!"

They said that the only way to unblock the card was to call their international card hotline. They could not do it online. ( I do understand - Swindon is a very backwards place, and any piece of technology which is not painted Brunswick green and fitted with a copper capped chimney is deeply suspect).

The international card hotline is answered by a recording announcing how keen they are to help, followed by the inevitable push 1 for xyz menu.

Unfortunately it disconnects after 32 seconds ( just enough time for the international call charges to click over). It does this whether you try a TOT landline, DTAC, AIS or True. After trying a score or so times, and exhausting my phone credit, I went back to the chat - they told me to phone the international card hotline to report the problem. I got quite excited (albeit politely) at this epic Pythonesque stupidity, so they announced that they were recording my comments as a complaint, and I would receive a response by email within two weeks. The chat messaging facility was withdrawn.

Two weeks later to the day I received the email. It told me to call the international card hotline. I tried again, it was still disconnecting after 32 seconds. I emailed my "complaints handler". He responded that Nationwide does not offer International banking services (I don't expect them, only to use my debit card, and anyway, if they don't operate internationally why 1) offer an international card hotline, and 2) allow me to register my Thai address - they told me to do that when they moved here); and I should return to the UK to sort it out. 

This rather annoyed me, so I told him that if my card was not sorted out I would write to the office of Nationwide CEO, copied to the board member responsible for customer relationships, explaining my frustration at his response and asking them to intercede. Funnily less than 4 hours later the chat system was reinstated and I received a message that my card was unblocked!

4 days later my card was blocked because of a suspicious transaction made in Thailand. The international card hotline disconnected after 32 seconds...

Nationwide proudly boast that they are different. They certainly are!

Had you previously been using your Nationwide card in Thailand without any issues making the same purchases ?

I am just wondering whether there is a new clamp down going on or this is just a regular blocking of cards .

In future, maybe you could withdraw cash over the counter to avoid any suspicions ?  

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Had you previously been using your Nationwide card in Thailand without any issues making the same purchases ?

I am just wondering whether there is a new clamp down going on or this is just a regular blocking of cards .

In future, maybe you could withdraw cash over the counter to avoid any suspicions ?  

Yes, no problems for 7 years.

I keep the account mainly because the Army won't pay my pension into a Thai Bank.  Normally I use it to withdraw cash from an ATM once or twice a month, and the very occasional purchase.

Incidentally, when you draw cash you are given the option of using "link ATM or Visa Debit". I really must work out which is the better/cheaper.

23 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Yes, no problems for 7 years.

I keep the account mainly because the Army won't pay my pension into a Thai Bank.  Normally I use it to withdraw cash from an ATM once or twice a month, and the very occasional purchase.

Incidentally, when you draw cash you are given the option of using "link ATM or Visa Debit". I really must work out which is the better/cheaper.

Withdraw over the counter and no need to make that choice and also save 220 Bath ATM fee

On 9/30/2022 at 7:47 PM, Chomper Higgot said:

If calling from Thailand try this number. I use CAT phonenet for cheap calls.

NWide contact.JPG

If I'm dealing with banks or anyone in the UK I use Skype, which is far cheaper and doesn't time out - 1.8p/min landline, 7.7p/min mobile. Just buy Skype credits (avoid the 'recommended' subscription) and simply pay as you go.

2 hours ago, Stocky said:

If I'm dealing with banks or anyone in the UK I use Skype, which is far cheaper and doesn't time out - 1.8p/min landline, 7.7p/min mobile. Just buy Skype credits (avoid the 'recommended' subscription) and simply pay as you go.

How do you buy Skype credits if your card is blocked?

I'm not having a pop at you - but these " customer service systems" such as the one I have described at Nationwide ( which are not there to "serve" the customers but to make life easier and cheaper for the company") make "Catch 22" seem like an episode of the "Magic Roundabout"!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

How do you buy Skype credits if your card is blocked?

It's generally prudent to have several options available. I have two bank accounts in the UK, two in Thailand, and one in Singapore. As granny said, "don't put all your eggs in one basket".