PM Prayut Still Holds Office

snoop1130

17 hours ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

Could be worse.  Could have Truss in command ????

Give her a chance. You can vote her out in 2 years time max if you so choose. Puppet Prayut will not be so easy to get rid of.

Edited by Thingamabob
Spelling error
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The last time the Thais made their feelings felt on the streets they were met with water cannon and their demonstrations resulted in nothing at all. The time before that was worse and resulted in the army removing the democratically elected government. So, whatever the people do, they lose. You can't fight with rubber ducks and camera torches. The army wins every time. Always has, always will, because what the people want doesn't matter at all in any Third World country, not just Thailand.

Truly hopeless.........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FunkyDunky58 said:

So he gets an extended term after promulgation of the constitution that his government wrote. Couldn't make this sh*t up. It was clear he knew about this loophole as soon as he said he trusted the court...

See what I mean when I said he hasn't got the brains to cover anything up, why did he say he trusted the court. Surely he should have kept his mouth shut.

• Like 1

did the Constitutional Court had all available information to make their controversial decision look at the date

Thailand: Supremo Prayut appoints himself prime minister

22 August 2014

http://links.org.au/thailand-supremo-prayut-appoints-himself-prime-minister

On 26 May, King Bhumibol Adulyadej endorsed the coup, formally appointing Prayut to "take charge of public administration" as of 24 May.[56][57] The royal endorsement was seen as key to legitimising the coup.[

In August 2014, Prayut held three positions: army chief, NCPO leader, and prime minister.[78

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prayut_Chan-o-cha

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, bob smith said:

facetious comment, I hope.

All thais I know loathe him!

Most Thais I know are not bothered one way or other. More worried about earning a few baht and sorting out their bank loans.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, edwinchester said:

I guess that when Taksin Shinawatra returns he can now have another two 4 year terms then. That'll upset a few of the more rabid in Govt.

he's too old. no country in their right mind would have a 75 year old PM

• Haha 2

Did anyone expect anything else? We all know the Thai courts are not independent and ran by the Junta/Prayut himself. We can only look at all the other decisions the court had made that benefits him and not others. Just look at the true Prime Minister of Thailand who is Thanathorn.

Edited by DjSilver

21 hours ago, monkfish said:

I am sorry but Thailand really does have the PM and government they deserve and I have stopped caring because they voted for it!

".................because they voted for it!"

In "free and fair elections" - I wonder how many Senators the PM will put into the Upper House  before the next one? 300? 350?

Edited by sambum

Well you know what it means if the Shin kid wins the elections right? One or two great years then another coup and instability for the following 10 years. With Prayut we might not grow but we don't become failed state either, better than nothing I guess.

8 hours ago, Mavideol said:

It's been peaceful with FAR less corruption than when he took over.

What part of Fantasyland do you live in and do you have a spare room? 

You really have drunk the Kool-aid, haven’t you. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, baboon said:

Again: I do take on board what you are saying. And I wouldn't have endorsed it myself, but I can imagine Thais thinking 'Well it's just a scrap of paper which can be torn up at the earliest convenience of the next hooligan who decides to be our leader'.

And that it all it is. A crappy scrap of paper which can be ripped up if need be. That swine Prayuth had no trouble balling up and chucking the previous one into the dustbin.

In the village I live in, I recall there was no vote - the normal polling station wasn't open. Everyone had to trek 7km to the local Amphur. 

Purely coincidentally, and in an unusual show of diligence, the police set up a vehicle check point 300metres from the Amphur. Two actually, one each side of the Amphur. It was, very unusually, manned for 12 hours straight. Motorcycle helmets, number plates, tax stickers et al.

To everyone's surprise, very few voted!

And then we had the shenanigans over party banning and vote counting at the subsequent general election.

It is certainly not the case that the new constitution was fairly endorsed, and the people did not get the government they voted for.

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Lacrimas said:

Well you know what it means if the Shin kid wins the elections right? One or two great years then another coup and instability for the following 10 years. With Prayut we might not grow but we don't become failed state either, better than nothing I guess.

Well we are a constitutional monarchy, with an elected parliament, and all the appropriate checks and balances, judicial oversight, and independent electoral commissions. All put in place by that experienced perennial drafter of constitutions Meechai.

All of which, from the very top down, completely subverted by the ruling elite to ensure that whatever the electorate may wish or vote for, the "Ammart" remain in power.

I'd say that is politically speaking, pretty much failed!

Then when you look at some judicial decisions, like reinstating the National Park director who burned down a Karen village and is accused of killing their leader/activist, the law and human rights side of the picture doesn't look too good either!

Then the widespread rampant corruption affecting everything from the drugs trade to illicit importation of stolen luxury cars...

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 2