PM Prayut Still Holds Office

snoop1130

Constitutional Court rules that PM Prayut’s 8-year term in office has not expired

3F23403C-F0BE-44DB-9CEE-C5F2634DD7F7.png

Thailand’s Constitutional Court has ruled by a majority that, in accordance with the 2017 Constitution, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha’s 8-year term in office did not expire on August 24th.

The court reasoned that the prime minister’s term should be calculated from the promulgation of that Constitution on April 6th, 2017. The court took less than 30 minutes to read theirruling, which was broadcast live nationwide.

As a result of this afternoon’s ruling, Prime Minister Prayut, who was suspended from active duty by the court on August 23rd, will resume his position immediately and will be back in the premiere’s office in Government House on Monday.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/constitutional-court-rules-that-pm-prayuts-8-year-term-in-office-has-not-expired/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-09-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Thai Prime Minister Prayuth Can Continue In Office, Court Rules

By Editor

image.jpeg

Thailand’s Constitutional Court has ruled that Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha can continue in office and that he had not surpassed his maximum eight-year term limit as premier.

The court, in a 25-minute reading of the 6-3 verdict on Friday (30TH October), said Prayuth’s tenure as prime minister should be counted from 2017, when a new constitution was promulgated.

The Office of the Election Commission of Thailand (EC) had already tentatively scheduled the day of the next general election for May 7th next year, but if re-elected after next general elections Prayuth could serve no more than two more years.

The decision will be a boost for Prayuth, a staunch royalist whose premiership has been beset by attempts to unseat him, including four house censure motions, a conflict of interest case and major protests challenging his leadership and the monarchy.

Prayuth, 68, had been suspended from office while the court deliberated the case.

Prayuth’s critics had argued that his time in office should be calculated from 2014, when he took power as army commander in the aftermath of a coup that removed Thailand’s elected Pheu Thai party government.

Supporters of Prayuth had maintained that his term in office should be calculated from at least 2017, or from when Prayuth took office after his election as a civilian prime minister in 2019.

In a surprise move, Prayuth was suspended as Prime Minister in August by the Constitutional Court, which had accepted a petition from Thailand’s political opposition calling for it to rule on whether the premier had exhausted his time in office.

Although suspended from his role as premier, Prayuth has remained in the cabinet as Thailand’s defence minister.  Prayuth went to work at the Defence Ministry on Friday morning, according to reports, and was expected to return to his residence to hear the court’s ruling in the afternoon.

Source: https://royalcoastreview.com/2022/09/thai-prime-minister-prayuth-can-continue-in-office-court-rules/

image.png

-- © Copyright Royal Coast Review 2022-10-01

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, khunpa said:

Great news for all Thais!!! A GREAT and POPULAR leader!

All Thais I know love him.

All Thais that I know, hate him very much. My wife and her large number of friends here can't stand him and always talks about how corrupt this government and country has been and continues to go down the <deleted>ter.

i have lost all respect for the Thai people.  looking around i see poverty and complacencies.  nothing will change until they summon the courage for change.  but they are a simple people who don't have within them.  passivity is their nature...

7 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

How the views on this forum has changed. Back when Prayut first came into power, 90% of the posters were pro-junta. 8 years later, 90% are anti. The old posters must have died off or been banned.

Rubbish....even 8 years ago, not many endorsed the military to rule the country...

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

Kind of like the UK Tories last week, give them enough rope, and they'll hang themselves. 

The problem with Prayuth, like Boris, is that the next possible picks are going to be much much worse... 

Oh dear - I'm pretty sure you missed an 'r' in 'picks'.....

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, kickstart said:

There have been rumours of powerful lobbying behind the scenes to sway the court's decision.

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd be inclined to think it's more about a powerful flow of cash from one account to another that did the swaying work.   

Edited by Thomas KH
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, monkfish said:

I am sorry but Thailand really does have the PM and government they deserve and I have stopped caring because they voted for it!

"because they voted for it" doesn't consider the reality that it was the additional vote of an unelected Senate appointed by Gen. Prayut that that would him the PM. He otherwise did not have the majority in the elected House. 

So aka rigged election beyond the control of the electorate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1