Travel Insurance recommendations

bluejets

Used Allianz last trip in 2019, cost then was around the $250 for 2, wife and myself.

Although probably not really necessary for her given she holds Thai and Aussie citizenship.

This time I did a quote from same mob, around $360.00.

Remembered seeing reference during Covid to AXA, a Thai company I assume.

Problem I have there is they want to know too many details (passport number, dob etc) just to get a quote.

Anyone travel with insurance cover from this company or any other Thai based ones which are reliable.

Obviously, trying to save a few bucks (might not be woth the effort in the long run).

Just costs have blown out this time due to Thai Air no longer transiting Brisbane (well, at least not directly).

Also, along with this, additional accommodation in Sydney to cover flight times.

If that wasn't enough, thought everything was booked and sealed, Thai Air sent an email.

Oh, so sorry, return trip departure times have been set back some 9 hours.

Normally I try to allow for changes but this one rocked the boat.????

Trip is 32 days........ I notice Thai might have changed their visa exempt to 45 days but insurance still goes either to 30 day with a jump in fees to 60 days.

Edited by bluejets

You will probably find better coverage and higher limits available from non-Thai insurers. You would also have better consumer-protection laws and a better insurance regulatory environment in Australia compared to Thailand. 

Many of the inbound Thai travel policies were tailored to meet the now-defunct Thailand Pass requirement for entry. The limits for medical expenses provided by these policies may not be sufficient to address a major accident or health event and some don't provide medical repatriation expenses and other typical travel policy coverages. 

My suggestion would be to find a good insurance broker in Australia and discuss your specific requirements. A broker can also explain coverage differences and claims-paying attitudes of insurers. 

Good luck.

• 7 months later...

Hey there! It can be quite a task to find the right travel insurance that suits your needs and budget. Allianz has been a popular choice, but it seems the costs have increased since your last trip. Have you considered checking out Thai-based companies like AXA?

4 hours ago, SamsonGamble said:

Have you considered checking out Thai-based companies like AXA?

On 10/1/2022 at 11:56 AM, bluejets said:

Remembered seeing reference during Covid to AXA, a Thai company I assume.

Problem I have there is they want to know too many details (passport number, dob etc) just to get a quote.

On 5/26/2023 at 11:03 PM, SamsonGamble said:

Hey there! It can be quite a task to find the right travel insurance that suits your needs and budget. Allianz has been a popular choice, but it seems the costs have increased since your last trip. Have you considered checking out Thai-based companies like AXA?

Although they require more details for a quote, they might offer competitive rates. Another option worth exploring is TiendaSagicor.com. They provide travel insurance options that might be suitable for your trip. It's understandable that unexpected changes in flight schedules can be frustrating, but hopefully, everything falls into place smoothly.

• 4 months later...
On 10/9/2023 at 12:27 PM, Junkyness said:

Sounds like you've been through the wringer with your travel plans, especially with Thai Air changing up your return times so drastically. The fluctuating costs and complicated insurance options can indeed be a headache.

If you're still on the lookout for reliable travel insurance, I recently came across a useful article on www.sicomono.com that reviews various insurance plans. It might be worth a read to get a comprehensive understanding of what's available. While I don't have personal experience with Thai-based insurance companies, the site does offer some tips on what to look for in a good policy, which you might find useful.

Edited by Junkyness