Kao Jai

msfsgeneral

8 hours ago, Lorry said:

It means "do you understand?"

pa is short for reu pao (literally "or not"), question particle.

This is colloquial speech. 

Hi There.  I believe you can explain.  There is this Drama I am following.  Unfortunately, the subs don't seems to do a very good translation job.  The title of the drama is Supstar 2550.  One of the mainrole actress is Anne Thong.  She said to her agent "Soda"; KaoJai pa.  That part I am trying to figure out what does pa means.

9 hours ago, CharlieH said:

It means "I understand" 

Hi There.  Thank you for replying. There is this Drama I am following.  Unfortunately, the subs don't seems to do a very good translation job.  The title of the drama is Supstar 2550.  One of the mainrole actress is Anne Thong.  She said to her agent "Soda"; KaoJai pa.  That part I am trying to figure out what does pa means.

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, CharlieH said:

I went by the topic title and put the emphasis on the meaning of "kao jai" which is the core.

mlkik is right.

"Khaojai." is a statement and means " I understand". Depending on context,  the subject can be someone else,  so it can mean "he understands"

"Khaojai pa" is a question and means " do you understand?"

pa is a contracted question particle, see above.

That's almost the opposite. 

NB Google is not good at translating Thai.  

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Lorry said:

mlkik is right.

"Khaojai." is a statement and means " I understand". Depending on context,  the subject can be someone else,  so it can mean "he understands"

"Khaojai pa" is a question and means " do you understand?"

pa is a contracted question particle, see above.

That's almost the opposite. 

You just said.....

Khaojai." is a statement and means " I understand"

Which is EXACTLY what I said ????  ????????

talk about arguing for the sake of something to say.

Never encountered such a pointless exchange.

1 hour ago, Lorry said:

My เข้าใจป่ะ post was from Google and correct. These days Google is much much better at translating Thai than in the past. The sheer amount of input that Google has means that it is constantly improving. I think you'll be surprised at how well it can do if you delve into it and play around. 

6 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Which is EXACTLY what I said ???? 

No, it's not.

You said:

On 10/4/2022 at 10:22 PM, CharlieH said:

It means "I understand" 

You didn't say what you meant with "it".

I (and it seems I was not alone) thought you were answering the question of the OP:

On 10/4/2022 at 9:13 PM, msfsgeneral said:

Why do I hear people say Kao jai pa?

I understood your post as an answer to this question because it followed immediately after this question. It is customary (not only on internet boards) to answer questions with an answer.

If your post were an answer to the OP it would be plain wrong.

You later explained you meant your post to refer to the thread title,  not to the OP.

If your post was an explanation of the thread title,  but NOT an answer to the OP, it was correct. 

6 hours ago, KhaoNiaw said:

My เข้าใจป่ะ post was from Google and correct. These days Google is much much better at translating Thai than in the past. The sheer amount of input that Google has means that it is constantly improving. I think you'll be surprised at how well it can do if you delve into it and play around. 

This is all correct. I must admit that I wouldn't have thought Google can translate this correctly,  I am duly impressed. 

Unfortunately,  many, many posts on this board from people who know nothing about Thai but know how to Google prove that Google still has to learn a lot (and that people better believe in God than in Google).

But, yes, it's learning. It's much, much better than the gibberish of 10 years ago. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, kokesaat said:

เข้าใจบ่ [เข้า - ใจ - บ่อ] แปลว่า

เข้าใจไหม

Often seen as part of Isaan-speak.  The first time I saw บ่ I thought for sure it was a spelling mistake.  Now I know it's a shortened version of บ่อ

We are talking about 2 different languages,  Thai and Isaan, and 2 different question particles.

Thai has 2 question particles,  mai ไหม, shortened to มั้ย, and reu p(l)ao หรือเปล่า, shortened to รึป่าว.

There is a difference in meaning and usage. 

pa ป่ะ is an even more shortened version of reu pao.

baw บ่ or บ่อ is the Isaan form of mai, it has nothing to do with pa.

Edited by Lorry
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Lorry said:

We are talking about 2 different languages,  Thai and Isaan, and 2 different question particles.

Thai has 2 question particles,  mai ไหม, shortened to มั้ย, and reu p(l)ao หรือเปล่า, shortened to รึป่าว.

There is a difference in meaning and usage. 

pa ป่ะ is an even more shortened version of reu pao.

baw บ่ or บ่อ is the Isaan form of mai, it has nothing to do with pa.

Agree (although I think Isaan is considered a dialect by most).  But with transliterated Thai, who knows what "pa" is!

• Thumbs Up 1