Transistor radios are great in a crisis - cheap devices on comeback trail after PM's comments

webfact

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Prauyth feels that radios can get the message across in the event of natural disasters that may leave other means of communication useless or lacking.

Like when coups are happening, or internet sites are blocked?

Prayut & Co seem to like backward steps

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Like when coups are happening, or internet sites are blocked?

Prayut & Co seem to like backward steps

Actually I recall a few situations over the years where radio stations were closed and people arrived to take away equipment to keep them that way. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

True but that doesn't mean you have the sensitivity within the radio to detect all of the bands (but probably would have) or that all the bands are actually being transmitted.

The Kaito KA1102 is quite sensitive on a.m. (mw)  and f.m. for local within a few hundred miles, and all the shortwave bands and between bands for world wide information…. Including S.S.B. 
    Excellent back up for when TSHTF.   I have two of them. One kept in a military type zippered case, in a new, never used paint can with spare batteries and additional active antenna and spare sets of AA Lithiums.  E.M.P. Faraday cage.  
   The little Eton E100 is smaller…. also sensitive.   Gets a.m. and f.m. and continuous S.W. also.. but doesn’t get SSB.  

22 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

You mean like an EMP?   lol

I've been in countless crises and I've never ONCE asked myself, "Where is the transistor radio?"    Now, if this was pre 1990, then OK........but it's not.   

If all the wi-fi and TV signals get "knocked out," we have much bigger problems then finding some Double D's......................................Double D batteries that is.  lol

Who’s talking double D batteries?  My Kaito KA1102 and Eton E100 run off of AA batteries.  They are portable radios.  The Eton can fit in a regular size pocket. The Kaito KA1102 in a bit larger pocket.

I use AA Eveready Lithiums in them.

Where would you have difficulty finding AA’s ?   They’re everywhere. 

13 hours ago, Sunderland said:

Not often I agree with Prayuth, but a transistor radio and a Swiss army knife will be more useful than a mobile phone during the developing World War 3.

Heck no.... mine has a flashlight on it!

Here is an article that explains the initial purpose of the pre-internet, that is, the ARPANET.  It really does not address portions of the internet surviving Armageddon.

See: https://www.wired.co.uk/article/h-bomb-and-the-internet

I worked in a store and forward message switching network, the AUTODIN, for many years.  See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_Digital_Network

and images for some of the terminal and switching equipment configurations --

https://www.google.com/search?q=AUTODIN&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&vet=1&fir=WiJQI4s7p1onYM%2Cxz23dO8bL9WxhM%2C_%3BouaYkMF-l3ptcM%2CZd97KOpnYDeVpM%2C_%3B93KATQLz-qOObM%2C_BQJyHuUWIrXwM%2C_%3BbKtITbN_H5WJDM%2CZd97KOpnYDeVpM%2C_%3BwwWh5QBngHrj_M%2C8jH93pItAwCfwM%2C_&usg=AI4_-kRmvje-1SWbKMUjj0UGW70qBOWNyA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjlqbqZ5836AhUFXXwKHfEkA7IQ_h16BAhMEAE#imgrc=uGXGdJ2vZJ2GIM