Can Thai tradition of indebtedness, gratitude to parents cause more harm than good?

webfact

Honor thy Mother and Father.  I grew up in a family and with values that support this commandment.  FAMILY: Honor, it's one of the great things I love about Thailand.  My wife's parents lived with us for many years and have now passed away.  Her brothers and sisters loved them greatly and I see the same respect and love from their children and grand children.  (and they're all Buddhist).   These are the norm.   it's the abnormal who get all the press.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

Honor thy Mother and Father.  I grew up in a family and with values that support this commandment.  FAMILY: Honor, it's one of the great things I love about Thailand.  My wife's parents lived with us for many years and have now passed away.  Her brothers and sisters loved them greatly and I see the same respect and love from their children and grand children.  (and they're all Buddhist).   These are the norm.   it's the abnormal who get all the press.

How would you deal with peripheral family member who we will say splashed out on a new truck but now required a loan because ends were not meeting? And given the circumstances little chance of making repayment?

My own family are very close, often offer assistance on the few occasions it is required before a request is made, but we respect the fact that in reality we are responsible and first we must plan and make decisions that will not affect others 

We understand that if everyone stretches the financial situation to the limits then none of us has that family fall back in case of genuine, not self inflicted emergency - that is where to me, the respect, honor, values, and love for each other is best reflected