Issues travelling internationally while on ED Visa

I have a couple of questions on leaving and returning to Thailand while on an ED Visa for studying Thai (at a private language school, not an ED Visa issued through an accredited University program).  Here's what (I think) I understand:

• Must get a re-entry permit BEFORE leaving
  • The ED Visa does NOT pause while out of the country, so there must be enough time on the visa (or extension) so that re-entry to Thailand occurs BEFORE the visa (or extension) expires

Here are my questions:

• How long can a person be out of the country while on an ED Visa?  (Obviously they must get back to Thailand BEFORE the ED Visa/extension expiration date.)
  • Are there any known issues with Suvarnabhumi Airport Immigration when re-entering the country?

A fairly well known school is telling students they can only leave Thailand for a maximum of 7 days or they will have problems re-entering Thailand.  Some school websites (including this particular school's site) do not mention any problems.  They only indicate the need for a re-entry permit and valid ED Visa/extension with time left before expiration.  Is this school correct?  Or is it FUD?

Experiences and advice appreciated.  And if anyone has any links or documentation from authoritative sources (such as written policies issued by the MoE or Thai Immigration) that would be especially helpful.

Thank you!

I recall a similar thread not so long ago (within the last 6 months or so) asking very similar questions.

IIRC, the logic was that if you are on an ED visa then you should be studying at a school, not leaving the country for several weeks.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2022 at 2:49 PM, problemfarang said:

you can leave the kingdom for 7 days. if you have a reason with proof 15 days

Ok, so this is different from what I've been told from another school I checked with, that says it's 7 days during the first 8 months of study, and 15 days after that.  When asked where this policy comes from, they said the Ministry of Education.

They also said there won't be a problem actually getting back into Thailand if one does go beyond these 7 or 15 day limits, but the problem will come from the Ministry of Education which won't approve of future visa extensions if you go beyond the limits.

Of course this begs the question, how does the MoE even know if you've gone beyond those 7 or 15 day limits since Immigration (and not the MoE) actually processes the extensions?

Finally, schools say there is no issue with getting an extension if you stay in Thailand and choose NOT to take classes for 3 weeks (or 6 or 7 weeks for that matter).  Only if you leave Thailand for more than 7 (or 15) days is there a problem.

Edited by asiacurious

• 4 months later...

Quick update in case this will help someone....

There was no problem with Immigration at the airport when returning after leaving the country for 3 weeks.  And no problem with MoE or Immigration with getting an extension on the visa after returning.  Just needed to have the re-entry permit in place before leaving and everything was completely normal.

• Like 1