PayPal re-registration now requires Thai national ID card

2 hours ago, rabas said:

Bingo, I had the same experience.

I tried fixing a small inconsistency during signup and you can't contact anyone.  If you have a problem during signup, the help menu only accepts 'signup' as a valid category, then immediately cancels the question by email telling you you are already signed up!  I think they're using an AI driven customer interface to save money, no humans.

You can try again using a new email address, all other info can be the same. They in fact tell you that. My second attempt worked fine.

Just remember to think dumb. 

My problem was something to do with the registration details as well. But after seeing how their 'help' system was set up, I decided not to bother. It would drive me mad if I had payment issues and was faced with that brick wall of a system again.

Edited by Mark1066

6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Are you sure about that?   When you try to get an additional card you'll have to produce your passport and they will immediately know that you've already got a card.  Issuing a new card will defeat the object of the exercise.

yes.  I have bought 12 cards - at once - the be used as xmas party gifts.. at the time of purchase they didn’t ask why, nor did i volunteer the reason. My passport was used for each card as the means to active it.   later, after giving, each recipient changed the passport in person with me present.   

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Mark1066 said:

My problem was something to do with the registration details as well. But after seeing how their 'help' system was set up, I decided not to bother. It would drive me mad if I had payment issues and was faced with that brick wall of a system again.

Agree, there are numerous stories of Payoneer accounts being closed for no apparent reason and owners loosing their funds, again with no recourse.

5 hours ago, new2here said:

yes.  I have bought 12 cards - at once - the be used as xmas party gifts.. at the time of purchase they didn’t ask why, nor did i volunteer the reason. My passport was used for each card as the means to active it.   later, after giving, each recipient changed the passport in person with me present.   

Christmas party gifts?  How lovely, something that's always been on my wish list!

Edited by Liverpool Lou

Why not simply open another account based on your home country

You will need credit card registered in your home country.

I have such an account -my registered address with both Ebay and Paypal is my Thai address

Edited by Delight

1 hour ago, Delight said:

Why not simply open another account based on your home country

You will need credit card registered in your home country.

I have such an account -my registered address with both Ebay and Paypal is my Thai address

I've got my Paypal account permanetly blocked shortly after moving to Thailand and trying to buy something on Ebay.

The Paypal support said something like "you have to register a new account with address in Thailand instead of adding an address to your old account".

• 2 weeks later...

End of November soon, I use  Paypal just to pay goods on line, I have no money with them : I guess I am concerned, too 

Is it better to close my account  and is there an alternative, just to buy things without giving my visa card number ? 

thanks 

There are no alternatives as widely accepted as Paypal. I'm afraid I will have to open a new bank account to get a card for online payments, as I don't know if it is possible to issue multiple cards linked to same account and set limit per card instead of limit per account.

On 10/15/2022 at 9:43 PM, monkfish said:

Sorry I disagree Paypal has a choice about how they confirm customer identification in Thailand and they have chosen and by not force to use the NDID system which is a private company not government. There are alternatives like manually confirming ID's but that's probably just to much work for them.

image.png.0699e8c1ad104a4730fe0839df7b2f0d.png

On 11/8/2022 at 3:09 PM, Aforek said:

End of November soon, I use  Paypal just to pay goods on line, I have no money with them : I guess I am concerned, too 

Is it better to close my account  and is there an alternative, just to buy things without giving my visa card number ? 

thanks 

No I wouldn't close your account just make sure there's no money in it they may find a solution yet.
I have a feeling Paypal Thailand will be making some more U-Turns soon after all this is the Land Of U-Turns.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/26/2022 at 8:44 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

What makes you so sure that PP has a choice?   Pose the question to PP reps and they'll tell you that it's the government that's making the regulations and PP has to abide by them. 

Well lets see if Google Pay will require NDID verification shall we?
And I can now confirm Google Pay & Google Wallet do not need NDID verification because I just signed up and it's already working. They use Credit Card for verification interestingly the same as Paypal used to. 

Edited by monkfish
  • Like 1