PayPal re-registration now requires Thai national ID card

Government restrictions, not PayPal's.  Anyone with a PayPal Thailand account who cannot produce a Thai ID card number for PP's records can wave goodbye to their account.   

No point in whinging about it any longer, this has been on the cards for a long time and is not being forced on any PP customers unannounced.

• Like 2

Surprised that an International company like Paypal would support such discrimination and don't even see what they want in Thailand as Thai's won't be using their services which such high commission rates unless they start taking 0%. What about those Digital Nomads they were bosting about not so long ago? Most get paid through Paypal.

You're a Thai citizen I believe so it should not be a problem? 
It would only be a problem for us long-term 'visitors' married to Thai women for 10 or 20 years,  and retirees visiting their condos for the last decade or so.  ????
But I'm assuming those above who have Thai PP account appreciate the heads-up.

Paypal gave in to Thailand .. The country that screws the small guy but those with millions , or billions can transfer money with no problem . More likely they are the ones pushing gov to jump on the small guys   Failed corrupt kingdom

Edited by pixelaoffy
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, connda said:

You're a Thai citizen I believe so it should not be a problem? 
It would only be a problem for us long-term 'visitors' married to Thai women for 10 or 20 years,  and retirees visiting their condos for the last decade or so.  ????
But I'm assuming those above who have Thai PP account appreciate the heads-up.

Why it would be a problem for long term visitors? I don't need PayPal Thailand account, I have an Australian one.

Of course if I start working and getting paid through PayPal the Aussie taxman will hit me with taxes on my earnings. If I don't declare the earnings it will be tax avoidance.

Edited by gearbox

32 minutes ago, monkfish said:

Think they are also keen to collect Tax from Freelancers and with Big Brother watching many might be forced to pay up by Paypal.
They already write in their terms of service they can demand Tax ID's.

PayPal was used for tax avoidance on earned income. PayPal Thailand is a financial institution in Thailand and needs to comply with the regulations. In theory if someone earns money from overseas the earnings can also be paid directly in Thai bank account without being taxed in Thailand as it is foreign income. However some countries tax their citizens worldwide, and the Thai banks provide the information of these transfers to the home countries'. Looks like PayPal is also forced now to provide info for possible untaxed earnings.

• Like 2

Are people seriously so mind-numbingly stupid that they think this is PayPals decision? Do you think that they singled out Thailand and said, "Yeah, let's make it harder for people trying to use our service there, but not anywhere else"?

Could it be something other than PayPal, forcing them to make these requirements if they want to remain active in any form in the country?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, monkfish said:

Surprised that an International company like Paypal would support such discrimination and don't even see what they want in Thailand as Thai's won't be using their services which such high commission rates unless they start taking 0%. What about those Digital Nomads they were bosting about not so long ago? Most get paid through Paypal.

But not in to Thailand accounts?

27 minutes ago, pixelaoffy said:

The country that screws the small guy but those with millions , or billions can transfer money with no problem .

Who, in their right mind, would use PayPal to transfer "millions or billions"?

We can all transfer legitimate millions or billions if we need to, just not through PayPal.

2 minutes ago, gearbox said:

I'm not familiar with the Thai PayPal, but in the Australian version you can link as many credit cards you want to your PayPal account. When you pay the funds are deducted from your credit card account, but you ctill get the PayPal protection. You don't need to keep money in the PayPal account, I don't have a single cent there probably in the last 10 years.

exactly..  We are just using it for convenience and protection. And now that 3rd world backward Kingdom doesnt want you to do that 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

PayPal haven't said that and PP didn't introduce the regulations.

Which regulation exactly?
PayPal will operating under laws for banks and banks accept Foreign Passport ID's but PayPal will only accept Thai ID's.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Myran said:

Are people seriously so mind-numbingly stupid that they think this is PayPals decision? Do you think that they singled out Thailand and said, "Yeah, let's make it harder for people trying to use our service there, but not anywhere else"?

Could it be something other than PayPal, forcing them to make these requirements if they want to remain active in any form in the country?

Paypal has made the choice to only accept Thai ID's for proof of identification.

7 minutes ago, gearbox said:

I'm not familiar with the Thai PayPal, but in the Australian version you can link as many credit cards you want to your PayPal account. When you pay the funds are deducted from your credit card account, but you ctill get the PayPal protection. You don't need to keep money in the PayPal account, I don't have a single cent there probably in the last 10 years.

PayPal Thailand is (not for long for some) exactly the same.