Would you accept this?

stubuzz

Had a bit of block-work done and a new back door fitted. However, the new door is already split in several places. I think it was the cheapest door they could find. I have told my wife to reject the door, but the builders say they cannot return the door and another coat of paint and it will be ok! I have instructed my wife not to pay the final payment until it is replaced as the splits will only get bigger.

1665646183364.jpg

1665646183557.jpg

1665646183625.jpg

The total job, laying about 15 Q-con blocks, rendering and fitting a new door was 12,000bt.

They were told that we wanted quality hardwood door to match the other back door on the opposite side of the house before the price was given. The door style is the same but the quality is low.

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The question is if it really was agreed and if your wife is on your side that that was agreed.

My wife agrees the door is low quality.

The builder is asking for another 8,000 baht to fit a quality door.

1 minute ago, stubuzz said:

I am guessing a door of that quality costs around 1,000bt. Thaiwatsadu has similar dried teak doors for 2,100.

When we where building I bought everything needed myself, and if he ordered something I payed and got the reciept myself. He useally took the added bonus when he ordered, but useally some crappy <deleted> I did not want or needed. 

8 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

They are Thai termites so they get a diet of hardwood since there is very little softwood in Thailand/

As long as the door is treated properly there is no problem with termites as I'm sure you know. ????

8 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

As long as the door is treated properly there is no problem with termites as I'm sure you know. ????

I wondered why I bought this small container, possibly 5 gallons (US)

E8C060E5-3CEC-45A4-AF71-C8AD7F4C2DFD.thumb.jpeg.c56e6f2dc7f978856e841dabcb31eb99.jpeg

555555 ???????? 

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, stubuzz said:

The total job, laying about 15 Q-con blocks, rendering and fitting a new door was 12,000bt.

11 minutes ago, stubuzz said:

Paid 6k upfront, still have 6 to pay.

Check out the timber doors and their prices at Thaiwatsadu online... then compare them with what you have now.

I would not be paying 1 satang for a second hand door, even with such a lovely paint hue!

53 minutes ago, stubuzz said:

They were told that we wanted quality hardwood door to match the other back door on the opposite side of the house before the price was given. The door style is the same but the quality is low.

Thats the trouble with a lot of them, silly prices esp when the white face is spotted. We got such outrageous quotes rather have a go myself. That does not look like a hardwood door.

6 minutes ago, proton said:

Thats the trouble with a lot of them, silly prices esp when the white face is spotted.

My wife is dealing with them as i am out of the country at the moment.

She called several builders, most did not turn up. The ones that did were not interested in small jobs the others measured up and did not bother to send a price as agreed.

The builder we used was from Facebook, his page shows pictures of nice work he has done. He came on time and gave the price on the spot. The work started 2 days later. Unfortunately, he has tried to get away with supplying low quality products. My wife is trying her best to deal with the situation, but she suffers from Thainess!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I wondered why I bought this small container, possibly 5 gallons (US)

E8C060E5-3CEC-45A4-AF71-C8AD7F4C2DFD.thumb.jpeg.c56e6f2dc7f978856e841dabcb31eb99.jpeg

555555 ???????? 

???? Good call I prefer wood opposed to lamanates, chipboard and ply or plastic. 

Edited by Kwasaki

1 minute ago, BostonJoe said:

Only pay him after the door issue gets resolved.  If it was me I'd  offer to buy a better quality door and he can eat the labor   

I don't think it's the quality of the door it's the initial preparation that hasn't been addressed, it started as a tree.