The End Of Espn/star

gennisis

May I respectfully suggest that this thread is merged with the other one, also in General Topics, on the same subject.

True Visions website still shows the July schedules for ESPN & Star.

We won't know for sure until Sunday, but I fear the worst.

Edited by Mobi

May I respectfully suggest that this thread is merged with the other one, also in General Topics, on the same subject.

Good idea to merge it.

I would be surprised if they do go off on Sunday. I am sure this is just a bit of brinkmanship to get the price down by UBC. Judging by the call centers stressful and long suffering response today I am guessing they have got the message. But then again TiT!

Frankly, and it's good timing for me I guess, my subscription is up at the end of July.. The loss of picture quality this year with the introduction of Platinum, the 'rain stopping play' all the time, and the other channels (like MTV) disappearing without any warning, and the fact that all channels are drifting towards more and more crap cheap content (I'm talking about the 'true' crapovision channels there) is enough to make me leave this month. Whatever happens!

Oh and of course my pet favorite hates.. The ooooooooddlles of adverts, sporadic bans on some adverts and not on others, forgetting to turn the picture back on after the adverst, scheduling mania, repeats, repeats and repeats, and Thai subtitles over the top of any other subtitles on foreign language films, the occasional cross feed of Thai and English audio so you can't hear either, and censorship of CNN when they are talking about Thaksin! Have they not heard of the internet!?!? Good grief! How do they stay in business!?!??!

I am off to greener pastures as I mentioned in the other thread.

Edited by scratt

Good idea to merge it.

I would be surprised if they do go off on Sunday. I am sure this is just a bit of brinkmanship to get the price down by UBC. Judging by the call centers stressful and long suffering response today I am guessing they have got the message. But then again TiT!

Frankly, and it's good timing for me I guess, my subscription is up at the end of July.. The loss of picture quality this year with the introduction of Platinum, the 'rain stopping play' all the time, and the other channels (like MTV) disappearing without any warning, and the fact that all channels are drifting towards more and more crap cheap content (I'm talking about the 'true' crapovision channels there) is enough to make me leave this month. Whatever happens!

Oh and of course my pet favorite hates.. The ooooooooddlles of adverts, sporadic bans on some adverts and not on others, forgetting to turn the picture back on after the adverst, scheduling mania, repeats, repeats and repeats, and Thai subtitles over the top of any other subtitles on foreign language films, the occasional cross feed of Thai and English audio so you can't hear either, and censorship of CNN when they are talking about Thaksin! Have they not heard of the internet!?!? Good grief! How do they stay in business!?!??!

I am off to greener pastures as I mentioned in the other thread.

a few years ago all the football was on supersport and then it changed to espn/atar never watch starsports again ,same thing will happen to espn if theres no footy :o

Just recieved July issue of True TV.

Amazing. I usually get my copy during the second week of the relevant month. :o

So I download the text version schedules that they have zipped up on their web site.

It's still rumors as far as I'm concerned.

But a rather solid one, as they do not indicate a channel nor program for both in their magazine.

Not solid. It certainly could be a printing error as Spock says.

There's no indication on the website that it will be off the air. How about someone actually in Thailand, as I'm not right now, calls their customer service up and asks? It would take a couple of minutes. Try it out, somebody.

I commented on the other thread about this that I would try to contact ESPN/Star Sports but when I write them an email using their "contact us" feature it always comes back as a failed delivery.

I'd say chances are pretty good that it is just a printing error....

Probably grasping at straws, but I was wondering if the programmes for these channels were omitted because they have not yet worked out how they will coordinate and schedule the ESP/STAR programmes with the live football coverage which will no longer come from them?

I too am looking at J Sat.

Incidentally, UBC/True provide their service by cable and satellite. Their dishes are notoriously small - hence the problems when it rains.

There used to be two legal 'cable' companies in Thailand, but UBC took the other one over some years ago. As OMR says, it would be a huge deal, involving major negotiations with the government for a new cable company to set up in Thailand. I doubt it could be done any time soon.

It is my understanding that all other cable and satellite operations in LOS are actually illegal. I am told that with JSat you need a internet connection which inputs the new scrambling code every time it is changed to keep one step ahead of the rights holders.

Anyone know different?

I'd say chances are pretty good that it is just a printing error....

Unfortunately not. I called customer service of UBC/Truevisions and they confirmed that at the end of this month ESPN and StarSport contracts will expire. As of today (June 27, 2007) they did not yet know what will happen on July 1.

I was particularly interested in UBC because of Formula 1. If I cannot see that anymore, I would be "true-ly" pi**ed and look for other services. But does anybody know where else I can see Formula 1?

No Wimbledon / F 1 / Open Golf / Rugby / Jamie Yeo.

Yes, ESPECIALLY Jamie Yeo. :o

I am *SO* going to cancel/suspend my subscription if they lay a finger on Jamie Yeo. Err, I mean ESPN/Star.

I'm going to call as well and complain.

F U C K - T H E M !!!

Edited by chanchao

My opinion is that they're holding out hope to get the contract negotiated so they can keep ESPN/Star Sports on UBC. This wouldn't have happened if they'd just left well enough alone and let ESPN keep the rights to the Premiership in Thailand. Thailand is pretty much the only country in ESPN Star's region that did this.

No Wimbledon / F 1 / Open Golf / Rugby / Jamie Yeo.

Yes, ESPECIALLY Jamie Yeo. :o

I am *SO* going to cancel/suspend my subscription if they lay a finger on Jamie Yeo. Err, I mean ESPN/Star.

I'm going to call as well and complain.

F U C K - T H E M !!!

I'm only interested in Spanish Football. I get Khon Kaen Cable for 250 baht a month. 60 channels with about 7 Sports ones, I get everything I want except snooker. I get darts, rugby, tiddlywinks, even poker.

If I watch English football, I switch to the Thai commentary - much less annoying than the sound of the English ones.

If I watch English football, I switch to the Thai commentary - much less annoying than the sound of the English ones.

You've got to be kidding. The English commentary is much more insightful, knowledgeable, and much less annoying than the Thai commentary. As I said before once, I can only stand so many brilliant "Oh-ho! Lampard!" comments when anything remotely exciting happens.

Of course, if you're Thai, it's completely understandable.

Edited by Jimjim

looks like its true guys, got this from another forum

Khun Tassanee got back to me and the news is not good. They have not signed a new deal with ESPN and ESPN star, they say its too expensive. The call staff are all hoping they give in like 2 years ago and pay up. But if they dont those channels are gone.

She will be quitting soon she says, she gets nothing but abuse, and its not her problem. She is fed up with it as well.

Just emailed post bag at the BKK Post. Lets see if it gets published.

Hmm, that would certainly be bad news I believe. ######. Like I said, it's all because they had to mess with the football thinking they were doing a good thing.

C'mon, ESPN, lower your price! You know you can't show the Prem here so quit playing hardball! <deleted>.

It's not ESPN's fault. If I was ESPN I'd too tell True where they can shove their Prem League stuff. Plus True has this habit of blanking out most of their (alcohol related) advertising. I know they're forced to by the Thai "government" but from ESPN's point of view this whole 'Thailand' thing must be one big barrel of <deleted>.

i think quite another Prem is at fault. we are heading back to the dark ages in this country.

Wow.. I know I can be pretty rabid at times, now that dark times are indeed upon us and Thailand, but to blame the guy for this is a bit of a stretch even by my own paranoid and conspiratorial (is that a word) standards. :o

My friend just recieved an E mail from Truevisions stating that the listings are not in the magazine because contract negociations were under way as the magazine was being compiled. Espn Star did not provide them with the listings.

However you can find the schedules on their webside.

They did not confirm or deny whever the 2 channels would still be on air next week. We shall see.