Thai Bank Charges on Foreign ATM Debit Card Withdrawls

During the pandemic I believe I read articles on this forum that the Thai banks had added an additional 5% charge on top of the 220 baht ding fee, meaning a 15,000 baht atm withdrawl would now cost 220 plus 750 baht. Is this still the case? I'm finally planning on returning to Thailand for the winter after a 2.5 year absence, and if this is the case, will need to figure out a different means to access money during my stay. 

Edited by Canadian Snowbird
typo error
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

The % charge is usually by your own bank, depends on bank,  220 ATM fee is standard. When you get here open a Thai bank account, that's the best way to avoid fees

Thanks for the quick response, but it's not a charge by my credit union in Canada, it was a specific charge added by the Thai banks at a time when tourism was being decimated by the pandemic. Setting up a Thai bank account is an option, but never needed it before spending 5 to 5.5 months each winter.

9 minutes ago, Canadian Snowbird said:

was a specific charge added by the Thai banks at a time when tourism was being decimated by the pandemic.

Without source this remains a mysterious charge.

Can't believe this would not have created a s...storm here!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Canadian Snowbird said:

Given the responses, I guess I will rephrase my question then ... has anyone used a foreign debit card at an atm in Thailand recently, and if so, were there any additional charges by the Thai banks other than the usual 220 baht ding fee?

If you accepted the ATMs bank exchange rate rather than your Canadian bank then there may have been an additional charge \ poor exchange rate. What did you accept?

OP, you have been misinformed there has been no increase in the 220b ATM fee for foreign card withdrawals. (or articles discussing it)

No extra 750 baht, its not still the case, it was never the case.

A serious case of misinformation.

Edited by Peterw42