Cheap 'smartphone' without bloatware

connda

7 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

You can ROOT a phone if you go into the Advanced Settings. I wouldnt bother but if you want to you can.

6 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

You believe what you want to believe but the facility is there in An droid but not in a standard menu. I think the OP may have to ask what day it is.

bs and disinformation

• Like 1

checkout e foundation
they have degoogled roms you can flash to phones (samsungs have easy installer)
completely debloated phone
nice touch is the App gallery
shows you exactly what trackers each app uses
/e/ is as debloated as it can get
they do sell preflashed phones but obviously import fees etc.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

Go to Developer options. You can get it under OEM Unlocking. Get a bit of sense before replying on subject you know nothing about

I went to Developer options, and there is no "OEM Unlocking" option. Checked with 3 different smartphones. Get a bit of sense before replying on subject you know nothing about.

On 10/18/2022 at 5:29 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

The iPhone SE was first introduced 2016 it can run an iOS version that is completely compatible with the current version of Line. So if you want you can use it for that.

As it is an iPhone it will be supported by apple, on average, for twice the lifespan of an equivalent Android phone. While the tech maybe a little daunting and it’s getting slower it will still run virtually every app available.

bought an SE five years ago, excellent phone, still going strong, no complaints. software updates have finished now so eventually i'll need to upgrade. cost about 400 GBP so cost/benefit has worked out pretty reasonable costwise for me. cheap phones can be a false economy

3 hours ago, it is what it is said:

bought an SE five years ago, excellent phone, still going strong, no complaints. software updates have finished now so eventually i'll need to upgrade. cost about 400 GBP so cost/benefit has worked out pretty reasonable costwise for me. cheap phones can be a false economy

I assume that the maximum IOs is 15.7 for the SE version 1.
I am making this assumption as currently the version of MacTracker shows “Latest release of iOS” since it takes a moderate amount of time for it to be updated.

As the SE was first released in “March 2016 (16, 64 GB) March 2017 (32, 128 GB)”  it has had a life of between 6 1/2 7 ½ a

13 hours ago, fdsa said:

I went to Developer options, and there is no "OEM Unlocking" option. Checked with 3 different smartphones. Get a bit of sense before replying on subject you know nothing about.

Down in that list of options you can ROOT the phone. I wouldnt bother my self and just delete what I dont want but it is down there.

Try this link: https://www.minitool.com/android-recovery/how-to-root-your-android-device.html

Edited by Photoguy21

1 hour ago, Photoguy21 said:

Down in that list of options you can ROOT the phone. I wouldnt bother my self and just delete what I dont want but it is down there.

don't you realize that it is "down there" on _your_ particular phone model and there are like 20 similar models total, out of tens of thousands that do not have such option?

1 hour ago, Photoguy21 said:

lol, your link recommends to install chinese malware such as "kingo root" and "kingroot". I do not know about other apps except "Towelroot", but suspect they are malware too.

Also about "Towelroot" - initially being a totally legitimate root exploit, it is usually bundled with malware.

1 minute ago, fdsa said:

don't you realize that it is "down there" on _your_ particular phone model and there are like 20 similar models total, out of tens of thousands that do not have such option?

lol, your link recommends to install chinese malware such as "kingo root" and "kingroot". I do not know about other apps except "Towelroot", but suspect they are malware too.

Also about "Towelroot" - initially being a totally legitimate root exploit, it is usually bundled with malware.

There is the equivalent from good sources. Try using the internet instead of just being silly

4 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

There is the equivalent from good sources. Try using the internet instead of just being silly

The real point IMHO is that although you can enable unlocking in the developer options that is only one step in what can be a labyrinth process to root ones phone. Having done it a few times to replace with custom roms I have actually done this to remove bloatware and tracking - as per the OP's original request. 

On Xiaomi phones you used to have to wait 168 hours for it be unlocked and then only after jumping through hoops on the settings to be able to do so.

I never used any of the supposed one root software items you mentioned partly because of the reasons mentioned by @fdsa The best resource I found to achieve this and other advice was on the  XDA forums for specific phones. 

btw I've just recalled one funny thing about "OEM Unlocking" - if you have purchased one of the abovementioned ~20 phone models that have this option in the developer tools, you still could have this option blocked by the mobile phone provider.

google for "pixel oem unlocking grayed out" and enjoy reading.