Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Video: Appalling driving/hit and run leaves couple on the tarmac - police tell them to investigate

webfact

image.jpeg

Sanook Thai Caption: Didn't you think to offer help?

Sanook reported on a collision between what they said was a fancy car and two people on a motorcycle that occurred at a crossroads in Nikhom Patana, Rayong, in eastern Thailand last Saturday morning.

Dash cam footage and CCTV that can be viewed HERE showed the motorcycle going straight before the car suddenly swerved in front to make a U-turn.

The couple were thrown to the ground. The car just drove off and turned left offering no assistance at all.

Sanook called this inconsiderate.

The couple - Sitthipong, 23, and Suwipha, 22 - said they were going ahead on a green light on their way to a market when they were hit.

They reported the matter to the Nikhom Patana police who told them to go and get the licence plate themselves before they would investigate.

The couple have so far failed to obtain clear enough footage for that either at the scene or on the subsequent route that the vehicle took.

They believe it to be a blue Isuzu MU-7. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-10-19

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, CLW said:

From what I can see in the video the drivers helmet come off. 

Maybe the strap wasn't closed.

Sadly but common thing here in Thailand (if they even bother to wear a helmet...)

I really doubt they closed the strap. Many who do wear a helmet don't strap them, they just wear them for show. (So they won't be ticketed.)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jossthaifarang said:

Motorcycle supposed to stay in the far left lane, car should have looked in the mirror, but mainly it is the motorcycle drivers fault. Still, a terrible person for not stopping to help.

Wrong on many levels....   stay off the roads, you are a danger to others !!! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dingdongrb said:

Are you crazy? Scooters can drive in any lane as long as they are not impeding traffic. That is, they can drive in the rightmost lane as long as they are traveling faster than the vehicles in the left lane.

The car (SUV) was clearly at fault for making the U-turn from the wrong lane.

Wrong, M/C supposed to be in the left lane unless overtaking. Also stay in the center of their lane not on the line dividing the lanes as most M/C's seem to do so that they can pass on any side. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"They reported the matter to the Nikhom Patana police who told them to go and get the licence plate themselves before they would investigate."

If this is the type of response they give, they don't deserve a decent wage, and why more than "a few of them" are turning rogue.

42 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Indeed...  jossthaifarang is repeating the common myth which swung around Thailand 10 years ago...

At the time the Police in Sukhumvit area Bangkok (and perhaps other areas of Thailand) were running a racket - pulling over riders in the 2nd lane and fining them for not riding in the left most lane... there is no such rule. 

Some of the BiB even had no idea that there is no such rule, they simply learned from their peers - it took a while for this legacy error to sort itself out...  But, some people still believe this to be a law [that motorcyclists must stay in the left such lane] - there is no such law. 

I got nicked twice here (driving my car) for "staying too long in outside lane" whilst overtaking a line of slower cars in the inside lane. I thought it was ironical being that most locals use the outside lane at all times, even when the inside one is empty.

I suppose they have to make up some reason to earn their 200 baht.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, webfact said:

They reported the matter to the Nikhom Patana police who told them to go and get the licence plate themselves before they would investigate.

Yo player, see these handcuffs and badge?  OK, take them and go cuff those clowns!! Bring them back here. If I'm asleep, throw them in the jail cell over there.  I'll give you 20 baht. LOL.  Kidding!  10 baht.  

8 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Awful.  Cut across the lane and straight into an illegal U-turn and fled.  The motorcyclist didn't stand a chance.

I wonder if they didn't see them or simply didn't look at all.  Either way, terrible driving.

The car driver should be paying for all injuries and damage.

Unbelievable, that the RTP told the injured party to investigate it themselves. Ha!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kennw said:

Wrong, M/C supposed to be in the left lane unless overtaking. Also stay in the center of their lane not on the line dividing the lanes as most M/C's seem to do so that they can pass on any side. 

Wrong....  thats a myth as explained above. 

Vehicles are supposed to be in the left hand lane unless passing another vehicle - this rule is for flowing highways, not city, town traffic. 

There is no law against lane splitting in Thailand. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jesimps said:
2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Indeed...  jossthaifarang is repeating the common myth which swung around Thailand 10 years ago...

At the time the Police in Sukhumvit area Bangkok (and perhaps other areas of Thailand) were running a racket - pulling over riders in the 2nd lane and fining them for not riding in the left most lane... there is no such rule. 

Some of the BiB even had no idea that there is no such rule, they simply learned from their peers - it took a while for this legacy error to sort itself out...  But, some people still believe this to be a law [that motorcyclists must stay in the left such lane] - there is no such law. 

Expand  

I got nicked twice here (driving my car) for "staying too long in outside lane" whilst overtaking a line of slower cars in the inside lane. I thought it was ironical being that most locals use the outside lane at all times, even when the inside one is empty.

I suppose they have to make up some reason to earn their 200 baht.

The Police have tried the same thing with me about 15 and 10 years ago...   (Rayong and Khon Kaen areas)... 

Both times argued and told them they were wrong...   both times waved along, they know when they are trying it on and you know better than they do. 

• Like 1