Tyre size, 215/60R17 or 225/50R18

poppysdad

My wife has decided that my  4 and a bit years old Toyota CH-R hybrid needs its tyres replaced. She insists I get Michelins but the car came with Dunlops and they’ve done very well in my opinion and not even a puncture after 80,000kms on the clock. Michelins on all 4 will cost around 10,000 more than the Dunlops which I’m a bit reluctant to do so anyway done a lot of reviews on the internet and along came another poser. 
The originals are 215/60R17 but reviews suggest that I can also use 225/50R18 which means absolutely nothing to me so those that are knowledgeable in these matters - what is the difference and any advantage?

215/60R17 - translates to ...

215 - tread width in Millimeters

60 - aspect ratio - percentage of sidewall height to tread width. In this case 129mm

R - radial

17 - Wheel size in inches.

To use 225/50R18 you would have to buy new wheels. And insure that the extra tread width will clear shocks, struts, fender clearance.

Here is a tire size calculator - type in the different size tires under Tire Comparison in your OP and it will detail the changes

Speedo differences minimal. Fancy wheels are expensive.

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Edited by seedy
  • Like 1

Your existing wheels are 17" diameter. To fit the 225/50/18 tyres will require you to buy a set of 18" wheels.  On typical Thai roads you are better off sticking with 17" - and save yourself some money.

Mi่chelin are excellent tyres, but so are Dunlop (in Thailand the Dunlop brand belongs to Sumitomo of Japan). Good tyres.  I'd be happy with either.

Thank you both, seems I’ll stick with the original size then. And should I listen to my wife and get Michelins or stick with what’s done me well which is the original Dunlops or do you recommend another brand. 

Edited by poppysdad
Another poster replied

1 hour ago, poppysdad said:

and not even a puncture after 80,000kms on the clock. Michelins on all 4 will cost around 10,000 more than the Dunlops

A Rolls Royce could get a puncture in its first kilometer out of the showroom.

Have you got a spare tyre? Of course, which has NEVER been used, so get the same make and size as the spare, 

Edited by KannikaP

CH -R doesn’t come with a spare just a tube of some puncture sealing chemicals which I’ve yet to test. 
Incidentally I did a search on Google for tyre info. 1 hour later I received 2 adverts for tyres sales on Facebook despite my trying to block this from happening. 

2 hours ago, poppysdad said:

Thank you both, seems I’ll stick with the original size then. And should I listen to my wife and get Michelins or stick with what’s done me well which is the original Dunlops or do you recommend another brand. 

I have had very good results buying Thai brand tires for some of our cars - Otani, Deestone.

Do not count them out. Otani on our CRV even have a Z rating - good for speeds of 240 kph !!! 555 It won't even come close to that but I got a good deal on them and they perform excellent in both wet and dry, are quiet, and good value.

Our Teana I run Michelins, but I drive it like I stole it and replace tires at 50% of life due to the abuse I subject them to.

Get a good tradein price at the tire shop I have used for years

• Like 1

3 hours ago, poppysdad said:

I'd be happy with any premium tyre...

Michelin, Dunlop, Continental, Goodyear, Pirelli.   I'd probably go with what's cheapest in your size among those brands. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

I'd be happy with any premium tyre...

Michelin, Dunlop, Continental, Goodyear, Pirelli.   I'd probably go with what's cheapest in your size among those brands. 

Pirelli tires on 3 of my bikes are made in Indonesia. Are they still what you would consider 'premium'

Have you ever run a set of Thai manufactured tires ?

Just curious as you have a wealth of automotive knowledge and help a lot of people who have zero understanding of the vehicles they own, or vehicles in general.

Thanks for that.

1 hour ago, seedy said:

Pirelli tires on 3 of my bikes are made in Indonesia. Are they still what you would consider 'premium'

Have you ever run a set of Thai manufactured tires ?

Just curious as you have a wealth of automotive knowledge and help a lot of people who have zero understanding of the vehicles they own, or vehicles in general.

Thanks for that.

I think Pirelli bike tyres for SE Asia are made under licence in Indonesia by PT Astra.

I put a set of Pirellis on a previous car I had (Camry) about five-six years ago and they were Thai-made and fine until I sold the car after about three years.  Things change all the time though and its possible production has moved somewhere else - or that less common sizes are imported.  I think Pirelli are still a premium brand - they are factory-fit on some Porsche, Ferarri etc and still a big player in motorsport.

I've never used a Thai brand (Otani, Deestone etc) and tend to stay away from Chinese (Landsail, Linglong etc).  

Years ago (20 years +) in the UK we used to sell tyres as part of the workshop business but packed it in because the margins weren't worth it. Back then there was quite a difference between tyre brands but from what I see nowadays they all perform well provided you stick to the known European/Japanese/South Korean brands.

One thing I would advise it to change your tyres before they get too old, even if they have plenty of tread. The rubber depolymerises and hardens with age. I would change at no more than 7 years max.

• Like 1

I found the Thai brands - for your basic run around - to work fine.

Re: Chinese brands ... only have first hand experience with large truck tires in Canada. 11R24.5

They have taken over the market - for everything but steer tires - due to their price and the fact that they perform and last just as well as the better known brands like Goodyear, etc