Good Roadmap of Northern Thailand?

henrik2000

Hello, do you recommend a *regional* paper map especially for Northern Thailand?

For motoring and bicycling I would like to have a good paper map of Northern Thailand (North Isaan can be there too). Of course on the ground I will also use GPS, Google Maps, Open Street Maps etc. on the phone. But for planning + overview I like a paper map that I can fold out.

I am mainly interested in the Eastern part of Northern Thailand, i.e. Nan, Phayao, Phrae to the Lao border. So far I don't plan to pass Chiang Rai town, Chiang Mai, Pai… (been there).

Even if you think "no need paper map for what" - I want it, even if not fully uptodate. So far in the west I see only all-Thailand maps with scales like 1:1.200.000 (World Mapping Project) or 1:900.000 (Freytag). Some of these maps may be blown up from 1:1.500.000 or even 1:2.000.000. Things are very very small in these scales.

Is there any regional map you recommend? I remember 15 years ago I had regional road maps, but they were bad (like a spaghetti bowl) and smaller places were noted in Thai script only) (which I cannot read).

So I DON'T need a spiral-bound page-by-page road-atlas (for that I use GPS). But I need a large fold-out map with everything immediately in view. Or is there nothing you can think of?

If you CAN recommend such a map, where would I get it best?

- In the west?

- In Bangkok or Pattaya?

- in Nan?

Before arriving in Nan town (first destination up north) I will be for a few days in Bangkok and Jomtien.

Thanks for all ideas!

PS. Aware that with my destinations I could/should post straight to the Chiang Rai forum, but regarding maps I thought I get more feedback in the much more busy Chiang Mai forum, and the maps would be the same. But I won't be in Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai to buy a map there.

Edited by henrik2000

Hi all, thanks for recommending GT Rider and links. Indeed i just ordered their "Golden Triangle" map (described here). But for my travel planning that map is even too detailed and maybe too motorcycle-specific (for hi-res details i can also zoom into Open Street Maps (or into Google Maps, if i need a McDonalds)). Anyway it's good that they look closely at road conditions - in the PH there were smooth roads on GPS that weren't passable at all irl.

As for GT Rider being too detailed: it seems GT rider have no map that includes Nan and Phrae. They only cover the exciting motorbiking destinations further north, that is "Golden Triangle", and then some places further west, near Chiang Mai. Of course as a motorcyclist or maybe any motorist out for that area, you're lucky to get such a detailed map, but still i'd like Nan and Phrae and maybe Phitsanoluk covered together with Phayao and the northernmost border areas.

Anyway good hint, and the GT Rider map for "Golden Triangle" is on its way to me.

Edited by henrik2000

1 minute ago, henrik2000 said:

Hi all, thanks for recommending GT Rider and links. Indeed i just ordered their "Golden Triangle" map. But for my travel planning that map is even too detailed and maybe too motorcycle-specific (for hi-res details i can also zoom into Open Street Maps (or into Google Maps, if i need a McDonalds)). Anyway it's good that they look closely at road conditions - in the PH there were smooth roads on GPS that weren't passable at all irl.

As for GT Rider being too detailed: it seems GT rider have no map that includes Nan and Phrae. They only cover the exciting motorbiking destinations further north, that is "Golden Triangle", and then some places further west, near Chiang Mai. Of course as a motorcyclist or maybe any motorist out for that area, you're lucky to get such a detailed map, but still i'd like Nan and Phrae and maybe Phitsanoluk covered together with Phayao and the northernmost border areas.

Anyway good hint, and the GT Rider map for "Golden Triangle" is on its way to me.

Ok you owe me 300 baht

• Haha 1